Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    I think someone copied your phone already...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3528740/sharp.PNG
    Sprint Love
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Extremely nice! Impressive work. I have a couple improvements for when you go to production

1. It will be very hard to type some words without the letter "P" on the keyboard.

2. Hopefully there is a software volume control so I can edit the volume of a certain aspect of the phone. Imagine you are outside and have the latest greatest song cranking on Pandora (or whatever replaces it in our futuristic imaginary world). You get done with your project and turn off the music (that was turned up to 11... because that's obviously louder than 10 ) You then take your kid to the dentist in the morning and while in the waiting room you think, "I'd like to play a game while little Timmy is getting his teeth cleaned."
    You start your game and the volume is still at 11 until you can scramble to gather your thoughts and touch/hold the left gesture area as people give you dirty looks.

If you have software volume controls you could open your phone and change the volume BEFORE starting the sounds that may or may not be at inappropriate levels.

Other than those things I think you have a winner! Thanks for your work getting us all salivating for the new device.

-- Kevin
    This looks incredible. Someone should send this to Palm!
    Developer of Ultimate Hockey, netSpeed, BatteryMonitor, The Ghastly Headset,
    netSpeed HD, St4rs and Matrix Exhibition
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow my webOS projects on my blog and follow me on twitter
  4.    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by itZmePre View Post
    Extremely nice! Impressive work. I have a couple improvements for when you go to production

1. It will be very hard to type some words without the letter "P" on the keyboard.
    -- Kevin
    Doh!!!!! (thats a Homer Simpson )

I inadvertantly put the backspace key where the P should be. I'm such a dummy!

Future versions (and production-ready) models will have the "Tab" key replaced by the "Back" key, so the P can have its rightful place!

Thankyou for noticing that!!
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

wow I have to say this is the best mockup yet, and really hope once you submit this it is considered as a design to make. Very good job
    Nicely done!

All we need now is to make a blurrycam version, with somebody holding it up, and maybe add a reflection of some digicam on the screen...

Then "release" this to the public as H/Palm's secret next model..

Don't forget the green/orange dots on some of the keys so we'll know it's a prototype. :P
    I liked the look of the back, but then I read your description about it being anodized aluminum. I was hoping it was a more "retro" leather/chrome styling...similar to this:

http://blogs.cellphoneflasks.com/upl...ask-773140.jpg

Sort of evokes the "Mad Men" styling trend...
  8.    #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by j_grouchy View Post
    I liked the look of the back, but then I read your description about it being anodized aluminum. I was hoping it was a more "retro" leather/chrome styling...similar to this:

Sort of evokes the "Mad Men" styling trend...
    Hmmm... I guess they could apply an enamel coating the alumunum with that textured effect - I was thinking more like the material HTC used on the HTC HD2 - that back cover pops right off, is thin, and strong as anything - I just wanted a poliched finish, instead of the matte finish.

Thanks for looking and the idea, though!

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Very sweet design - realistic too - not impossibly thin for a physical keyboard.
    Hopefully we get something as nice looking from HPalm.
  10.    #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by itZmePre View Post

1. It will be very hard to type some words without the letter "P" on the keyboard. Kevin
    Fixed!

Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    I'd buy this in a heartbeat. I love how the top half has that river stone feel of the original Pre while the bottom half has a softened industrial look.It really looks like the pre and the iphone 4 had a lovechild. My only concern is after living with a Pre since launch day, I'd really prefer a glass screen.
    Nicely done..man i need to try out the 3D modeling software my self..but very well done.
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Love the mock up! It looks very, very nice. I feel bad even mentioning these, but...

1. The band around the keyboard seems a little wide. It's hard to tell without seeing it at 1:1 scale though but it seems a little chunky near the keyboard. Maybe it's an optical illusion?

2. Aligned keys look good but they're often annoying to type on. Given that this concept is a little wider that the original Pre did you consider a staggered keyboard?

I had a chance to play with two Samsung phones (one with staggered keys, the other with aligned keys) and the staggered keyboard was a lot easier to use, even though the staggered keys themselves were not as well built.
    i like the dedicated row of number keys. Its pretty much the only thing i particularly hate about the current pre keyboard
  15.    #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by dbh123 View Post
    Love the mock up! It looks very, very nice. I feel bad even mentioning these, but...

1. The band around the keyboard seems a little wide. It's hard to tell without seeing it at 1:1 scale though but it seems a little chunky near the keyboard. Maybe it's an optical illusion?.
    If 1/8" is too wide for you, then it's too wide for you, but, Im pretty sure for most people it will work.

Quote Originally Posted by dbh123 View Post
    2. Aligned keys look good but they're often annoying to type on. Given that this concept is a little wider that the original Pre did you consider a staggered keyboard

I had a chance to play with two Samsung phones (one with staggered keys, the other with aligned keys) and the staggered keyboard was a lot easier to use, even though the staggered keys themselves were not as well built.
    Actually, you are quite correct about traditional "touch"-typing on a conventional sized keyboard regarding aligned keys, however, for smartphones, where we usually use only our "thumbs", they work just fine (for me and those I know), however, we all do have our own preferences.

Thanks for looking and your comments!!!
    Last edited by LCGuy; 10/04/2010 at 12:01 PM.

Good start. Some suggestions:

1. Make it less wide.
    2. Make the keyboard horizontal sliding.
    3. Make it thinner
  17.    #57  
    6tr6tr;

The reason for the width is the 3:2 aspect ratio of the 960 x 640 display.

I have actually done a model of a horizontal slider earlier this year. After modeling it, I realized that it isnt as practical for WebOS as the vertical, hence my new design and submission to the contest.

This is very thin for a device with a keyboard (.51" thick).

Thanks for the comments and for looking!

Good god if Palm releases a horizontal slider I will stick with my Pre Plus with webOS 2.0 until it isn't supported anymore.

A horizontal slider sounds sounds good on paper but in use, especially with webOS it just won't work as well as a portrait slider.

I think your render is perfect LCGuy. I would love for Palm to release somethingl like this.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Since we're all getting super picky...

1 - Would need to slide out a little further...the top row of keys is too close to the bottom edge of the screen portion of the slider.

2 - The logo on the back: I'm sensing HP still wants to keep the palm identity. I'm betting on the PALM being the old Palm logo with perhaps an HP logo as well elsewhere...maybe a little less prominent in the bottom corner...mostly for credit due and not as an identifier for the smartphone brand. I don't think anyone in the company is suggesting renaming to HP-Palm...
  20.    #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by j_grouchy View Post
    Since we're all getting super picky...

1 - Would need to slide out a little further...the top row of keys is too close to the bottom edge of the screen portion of the slider.

2 - The logo on the back: I'm sensing HP still wants to keep the palm identity. I'm betting on the PALM being the old Palm logo with perhaps an HP logo as well elsewhere...maybe a little less prominent in the bottom corner...mostly for credit due and not as an identifier for the smartphone brand. I don't think anyone in the company is suggesting renaming to HP-Palm...
    1. Unfortunately, to provide a photorealistic final render, I've used a global lighting solution (and HDRI image as the light source), which provides major and minor shadows from various directions, and the area you are referring to is in shadow, however, I can assure you, that top row of keys is about 3/16" (that's a whole key) away from the bottom edge of the top slab - that's something I have noted in other keyboard designs that I despise - there is more than enough room here for comfort.

2. I have no idea what HP-Palm are going to do. That logo is just a placeholder for whatever they decide. I didnt put much time into it's design, other than placement - if they clarify what they are going to do, then I will follow suit there.

Thanks!!!
    Last edited by LCGuy; 10/04/2010 at 01:43 PM.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast