1.    #1  
    Here is a little rant on what I believe HP and Palm must do in the coming months to succeed as a formidable smartphone/tablet platform with WebOS

Hardware:

1. HP/Palm needs to release several different form factors for smartphones, lets say 3 minimum (Slider/Slab/Candybar), 2 tablet form factors (7", 10") and a portable wifi/mp3/gaming device. The public need to see this as an ecosystem, not just "oh look its another smartphone I dont care about with a weird OS on it no other phone has."

2. The hardware needs to be top notch quality. I dont care what materials you use as long as its scratch resistant and doesnt crack. I like how the Pre Plus got rid of the centre button: take that to the next level: no buttons whatsoever. Just have touch sensitive areas all over the phone for power, volume, gesture etc. This would differentiate from the Android phones which are button crazy, make the phones look sleek, and also greatly reduce hardware issues. While the L33t g33ks on here will tell you otherwise, the general public doesnt care about specs and features and if it has a flash drive. Just make it look sexy and make sure its indestructible, the hardware can handle the OS without lag, give it lots of GB of space with internal storage, lots of camera MPixels and the GP will be happy. These are the only things most people even know about.

3. The battery needs to last longer. Figure it out.

4. Make all the phones and devices come standard with Touchstone. Do it before Apple does it and makes Palm look like copy cats.

5. Eliminate cross-compatibility, scaling and other different hardware issues as much as possible, so developers dont have to re-develop apps for different devices.

Software

1. WebOS 2.O is on the right track it seems. A+!

2. You have to pay a bunch of developers to make a bunch of advanced apps and Synergy add-ons.

3. Add flash. Even if it sucks, it just makes you guys look like liars for saying it was coming over a year ago.

4. Create some sort of "Palm Desktop" equivalent software platform that makes it really easy to Doctor, add mp3's, download photos back to your computer. Make it use the Palm Profile and make it work remotely over 3G or wifi. Let it even stream songs off your desktop remotely, or backup pictures to your desktop the moment they are taken. No need to ever plug the phone into the computer, but have the phone exist with the computer easily: cloud computing but without the confusion.

5. If you own a PalmPad, Pre2 and Palm/HP gaming device with WebOS, dont make people re-download and buy apps. Let one Palm Profile exist on all devices and also let it sync between all devices with Palm Backup (so that your contacts/email/calendar exists between all devices simultaneously)

Marketing

1. Market the **** out of synergy 3rd party add-ons. Make it seem like apps are yesterdays news, that its so lame to use apps, and the only way you can possibly get on with your life is if your phone has 3rd party add-ons through Synergy that change the way the smartphone itself works. Coin the phrase that Palm phones EVOLVE. Each developer add-on to Synergy evolves the phone into something new and better. Make an ad campaign along with this, saying that WebOS phones constantly get better, stronger, more advanced the more you use them.

Distribution

1. Get the phones on as many platforms as possible. Put the more expensive models onto well known carriers, and then release a "Pixi-like" device but release it on inexpensive 3rd-party and prepaid carriers that dont have ANY smartphone choices. Go into unaccessed markets: allow the cheaper Pixi-esque smartphone to work with just Wifi and without a Data plan. Make the phone free. Do this to get the other 90% of people that arent on smartphone plans to adapt to WebOS as their smartphone OS of choice.

2. Stop doing updates through carriers, clearly you can't rely on them and it creates a lot of issues.

3. Make wifi only and Data versions of tablets.

4. Release devices Unlocked as well as being on carriers, but make sure your store can work worldwide first.

Welp, thats all the ideas I have

If anyone wants to add to it below or disagree with me, please do so now!
    I especially like the part about evolution and constantly improving. Very insightful.

I wonder if they could use the transformers movie, or iron man to deliver that message.

good stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    Here is a little rant ...
    With that intro, I wasn't expecting such an insightful post. While I don't think everything you want could be done at once, you certainly provided a lot of good ideas and advice!
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    They have to do something quick. They are losing customers daily to Andriod and other platforms. Developers won't want to even start with putting together apps until there is a hint of new hardware or a future for WebOS. This investment by HP is turning out to be a big mistake if they don't start getting some return on investment. (ROI) Holding off 6 months or maybe more for some kind of ROI would be a HUGE mistake on HP's part especially since there is new technology coming out daily. If they wait until 2011 CES to announce new hardware, it will be too late for WebOS because by that time, the majority of the loyal customers would have already moved on to another platform and it won't matter. Who would want to stick with a platform that take 6 months after the takeover to come out with something new to keep customers sticking around? Not when Andriod, Apple and even RIM has new announcements almost every day to keep customers around. I understand their being silent right now to prevent from letting leaks out to their competition but customers are getting quite frustrated that there has been NOTHING from the HP camp about new hardware. Sure...they announced a little information about webOS 2.0 but not enough to keep people from jumping.

I went into a Best Buy store and they don't have a Palm product AT ALL on their shelves. Then I went into a Sprint franchise store and asked about the Palm Pre and the representative said that Palm is dead and has gone out of business. Wow...quite surprised from a Sprint store. Obviously I know better but I can just imagine what the preception of Palm is to the public. DEAD TECHNOLOGY. DEAD PLATFORM. Wouldn't you agree? Try going into a store where they sold or are currently being sold and ask about Palm and WebOS. I am sure you will get the same reaction I did.

HP/Palm needs to stop sitting on their technology (like they did with Flash) and release what they have. Don't wait til a big conference to try and make a big splash. If the product isn't ready, then that is ridiculous that you don't have it ready by now. If the product is ready but you would rather wait until the CES 2011 to be the big hit, then you will have to try and rebuild your customer base because everyone will pretty much be gone on January's annoucement and I doubt that they will come back making us wait this long.

My bet: They have the phone(s) in the final stages but are going to sit on everything until either Christmas or the CES Convention in January to try and be the big hit. Big mistake. They have already lost their customers that were on the fence about webOS and if they don't act fast, they are going to start to lose their loyal custmers and will never regain them. People and now cell phone store salesmen have now been telling customers that Palm is dead and out of business. I know leaks are bad because it gives away hints to your competitors but they can also be a good thing keeping customers interest around. No word what-so-ever only spells doom. No hope...no promise...no future...and no customers! I hope I am wrong.
    Sprint Phones owned since Fall of 2001: Samsung I300, Samsung I330, Samsung I500, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Centro, 800w, Palm Pre, Samsung Epic and now the HTC 3D EVO.
  5.    #5  
    I agree with the above poster, Palm and HP need to get at least SOMETHING out now. It doesnt have to be the whole lineup, but it should be something to tide us over until CES 2011.

Because, they also shouldn't release information now about a product that will be coming out in january. They made that mistake already with the Pre, dont make that mistake again. Announce and release within the same week.

I understand that if you want to release a whole new WebOS system of smartphones/tablets, etc all at once to make a big splash, it might have to wait until CES 2011, but Palm should release SOMETHING right now.

Honestly, even if its just a super upgraded Palm Pre^2 (Palm Pre Squared) with like a gig of ram, 1.2ghz processor, 8MP camera and 64 GB of storage, just release something like that NOW to tide people over.

*EDIT* Released on Sprint of course
    Sometimes i wonder too my self what other kind of tricks does hp have up its sleeve for webos. Most of us only think of the obvious smartphones and tablets and i guess you can say webos printers. but who knows what all those engineers and software people maybe thinking of to use webos. Or what if HP just develops webos to this OS that is way beyond what we see as webos today.
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    Here is a little rant on what I believe HP and Palm must do in the coming months to succeed as a formidable smartphone/tablet platform with WebOS

Hardware:

1. HP/Palm needs to release several different form factors for smartphones, lets say 3 minimum (Slider/Slab/Candybar), 2 tablet form factors (7", 10") and a portable wifi/mp3/gaming device. The public need to see this as an ecosystem, not just "oh look its another smartphone I dont care about with a weird OS on it no other phone has."

2. The hardware needs to be top notch quality. I dont care what materials you use as long as its scratch resistant and doesnt crack. I like how the Pre Plus got rid of the centre button: take that to the next level: no buttons whatsoever. Just have touch sensitive areas all over the phone for power, volume, gesture etc. This would differentiate from the Android phones which are button crazy, make the phones look sleek, and also greatly reduce hardware issues. While the L33t g33ks on here will tell you otherwise, the general public doesnt care about specs and features and if it has a flash drive. Just make it look sexy and make sure its indestructible, the hardware can handle the OS without lag, give it lots of GB of space with internal storage, lots of camera MPixels and the GP will be happy. These are the only things most people even know about.

3. The battery needs to last longer. Figure it out.

4. Make all the phones and devices come standard with Touchstone. Do it before Apple does it and makes Palm look like copy cats.

5. Eliminate cross-compatibility, scaling and other different hardware issues as much as possible, so developers dont have to re-develop apps for different devices.

Software

1. WebOS 2.O is on the right track it seems. A+!

2. You have to pay a bunch of developers to make a bunch of advanced apps and Synergy add-ons.

3. Add flash. Even if it sucks, it just makes you guys look like liars for saying it was coming over a year ago.

4. Create some sort of "Palm Desktop" equivalent software platform that makes it really easy to Doctor, add mp3's, download photos back to your computer. Make it use the Palm Profile and make it work remotely over 3G or wifi. Let it even stream songs off your desktop remotely, or backup pictures to your desktop the moment they are taken. No need to ever plug the phone into the computer, but have the phone exist with the computer easily: cloud computing but without the confusion.

5. If you own a PalmPad, Pre2 and Palm/HP gaming device with WebOS, dont make people re-download and buy apps. Let one Palm Profile exist on all devices and also let it sync between all devices with Palm Backup (so that your contacts/email/calendar exists between all devices simultaneously)

Marketing

1. Market the **** out of synergy 3rd party add-ons. Make it seem like apps are yesterdays news, that its so lame to use apps, and the only way you can possibly get on with your life is if your phone has 3rd party add-ons through Synergy that change the way the smartphone itself works. Coin the phrase that Palm phones EVOLVE. Each developer add-on to Synergy evolves the phone into something new and better. Make an ad campaign along with this, saying that WebOS phones constantly get better, stronger, more advanced the more you use them.

Distribution

1. Get the phones on as many platforms as possible. Put the more expensive models onto well known carriers, and then release a "Pixi-like" device but release it on inexpensive 3rd-party and prepaid carriers that dont have ANY smartphone choices. Go into unaccessed markets: allow the cheaper Pixi-esque smartphone to work with just Wifi and without a Data plan. Make the phone free. Do this to get the other 90% of people that arent on smartphone plans to adapt to WebOS as their smartphone OS of choice.

2. Stop doing updates through carriers, clearly you can't rely on them and it creates a lot of issues.

3. Make wifi only and Data versions of tablets.

4. Release devices Unlocked as well as being on carriers, but make sure your store can work worldwide first.

Welp, thats all the ideas I have

If anyone wants to add to it below or disagree with me, please do so now!

It all sounds great in theory but it will be a cold day in hell before the carriers give up control of what software is on devices on their network. Unless you are A FrUiT (company)lol
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

Apple won't copy the touchstone unless they figure out how to do data transfer as well.

The iPod doc and 30 pin connector are going to be staples of the iphone forever.
    Hey check out my thread on this also:
    http://forums.precentral.net/future-...help-palm.html
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Few ways H/P can help Palm
    Palm is workinng on the new hardware and Software, while this is coming out, H/P can make sure its a hit. I have few suggestions for H/P, that H/P because of its enterprise can very easily do it.

1) Make palm global. Even after a year and a half, webOS iis not available officially for major countries like Australia, Brazil, India, (maybe in China recently), and there are a bunch more smaller countries that dont even know palm exists. The contriesd mentioned above have more than 1/3 of world population counting in billions. So please H/P while palm makes a new hardware, help spread current and FUTURE webOS devices to these countries. You are so good at spreading your own laptops, now use the same system to spread webOS as well. Bring the new device to these countries ASAP when its released and not a year later, as HTC would have already brought better hardware there by then.

2) Make the app catalog global: Once again use your reach to make the app catalog be released in more and more couuntries. There are so many European countries complaning all the time, they cant buy apps or only few apps. Please make the app catalog global. Once again send some people to Palm to help them achieve this goal ASAP. Not only you get more money from apps but more people buy phoones once apps are available. And this can be done and should be done before webOS 2.0 comes out.

3) You bought a cloud company, please help palm with cloud back up. They have the right idea there but lack of expertise or time its not fully backed. Your help in cloud would be really really appreciated.

4) Again you have a cloud company, give plam users 10 gigs of free cloud storage space. This will set you apart from Apple and Google phones. Help palm achieve this goal.

5) Business users have problems logging on to there secure network. I know VPN is in works but send more people so every single secure netorwk is supported in webOS 2.0. Again you have dont it for your laptops, do it for webOS 2.0 esp with new tablets coming in.

6) Push google to release turn by turn directions for webOS. You have contacts use them

7) Push Verizon to release aGPS fix, androids have it, why discriminate us?

8) Spend a lot of money to advertise when the new device comes out. Keep it simple and clean, there are a lot of ideas floating in these forums.

9) Do not cut short of hardware specs, make it better than the market as a new phone wont come out for another year (if we are lucky), so atleast (minimum) have a dual core processor, maybe 1gig RAM, bigger screen atleast 3.7 inch, a solid slider, atleast 1500MA battery, dual camera, better and bigger sensor and lens

10) Send some one to help palm boot up the phone a lot faster, you bought a company for that, now dont keep it away from palm

What do you guys think? Have a missed anything?
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    Apple won't copy the touchstone unless they figure out how to do data transfer as well.

The iPod doc and 30 pin connector are going to be staples of the iphone forever.
    wifi and bluetooth are all they need. they have already filed a patent for wireless charging, so you can expect it in the iphone5, IMHO.

On a side note, I still fail to see why people want to add functionality to a big magnet that charges the phone. The "docking mode" coming in 2.0 will tell the phone how to configure and communicate while on the touchstone.

I could see a short term value to plugging speakers in to the touchstone, but bluetooth speakers will eventually be commonplace. Palm certainly needs to add more bluetooth profiles and embrace the next-gen bluetooth spec to make it truly usable, but I'm sure they will do that in new hardware. but there is already a thread for that.

Palm has to leverage MHS and Touchstone NOW because the competition is already catching up on those amazing features...
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    All very valid points and I see your point on how HP and Palm can move forward from here. I still say that they need to release something. If not a product, then release the ‘hint’ of a new product or what to expect from HP. Look how much excitement they generated when they announced a little bit of WebOS 2.0. But that is now old news. I am sure they didn’t tell us the whole story so they can still try and create even more excitement when 2.0 hits. But they need to tell us something to keep our interest around. Why would the developers want to stick with this platform for the next 3 months because HP/Palm is not even giving them hope for their apps? If you were a developer, would you stick around and continue to develop for WebOS or would you develop for another platform and have security that there is a market for you app?? That there is a future for your app?? That there are actual customers out there that will even buy your app?? With Palm products being pulled off of shelves and disappearing, the customer base is slowly disappearing. Developers were a key success to Andriod and the 100k apps that were developed for the platform in less than a year. If you upset them, say goodbye to WebOS. Example: Windows Mobile platform. The Touch Pro 2 was a great phone and had great hardware, but it ultimately failed because everyone wanted more apps. So you can say all you want about what kind of hardware you want and it should have this and that but really, it comes down to applications. How do you get more apps? Get more developers. How do you get more developers? Show them that there is a future for their apps. Show them that the platform will succeed and it is on the cutting edge of technology and can keep up with the competition. That will draw developers and make your platform an ultimate success. Right now, HP/Palm are sitting on their hands and doing nothing. I am sure they probably have a lot going on behind-the-scenes but it sure doesn’t show it. Palm fans are loyal to stick around this long but soon, they will get frustrated and give up. HP/Palm will then have a harder time to try and regain old customers as well as attract new ones. Stop the bleeding and give us something before it is too late.
    Sprint Phones owned since Fall of 2001: Samsung I300, Samsung I330, Samsung I500, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Centro, 800w, Palm Pre, Samsung Epic and now the HTC 3D EVO.