Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by nullr View Post
    The ebay one wont come with any warranty
    Misinformation, of course it does.

All phone activated by Srprin are warranted by Sprint for one year from activation. Don't beleive the garbage the store people tell you to pitch insurance. You can buy a six month old used handset from joe blow on ebay and Sprint warrants it for the term of the warranty (the next six months). If it was never activated Sprint warrants that ebay phone for a year. If you bought it after Oct 25th, you will pay a 35 service fee, if you bought it before that you won't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Disaster View Post
    Does TEP extend the manufacturer's warranty? If not, it seems like it isn't a good deal. I bought a nearly new, used Pre for $120. That is the deductible plus 3 months of TEP.
    Actually the extension of warranty is the pretty worthless part. The warranty is already there for the first year. After that the replacement costs on ebay are very low.
    Quote Originally Posted by postalUT View Post
    The way it was explained to me is that we will still be honoring the Manufacturer's Warranty, however, you'll have to pay $35 for this service if you don't pay for TEP. The other option is to go directly to the manufacturer and see if they'll do it for free.
    Remember, Sprint is a business not a charity.
    And you need to remember that warranty terms advertised at the time of sale cannot be retroactively changed. So this $35 can only be applied to people who bought after Oct 25, since Sprint has been advertising for 18 months, including on their site, that there is "no charge" for warranty "service."
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post

All phone activated by Srprin are warranted by Sprint for one year from activation. Don't beleive the garbage the store people tell you to pitch insurance. You can buy a six month old used handset from joe blow on ebay and Sprint warrants it for the term of the warranty (the next six months). If it was never activated Sprint warrants that ebay phone for a year. If you bought it after Oct 25th, you will pay a 35 service fee, if you bought it before that you won't.
    Thanks for filling us in on how the warranty is supposed to work. That would explain why they told me the used phone I bought was covered under warranty when I brought it back for repair just one day after they activated it. I thought they made a mistake but wasn't going to complain. Since that failure, I've had 5 other Pre's fail (replacements from them.) The last two times, at the store, they tried to get me to use my TEP....which I keep meaning to cancel. The first time the screws fell out and they tried to say it was user damage because it was physical damage. I explained to them screws falling out had nothing to do with abuse. The second time, a week later, the screws they put in fell back out. When I went back to the store they tried to tell me "under the new warranty" it wasn't covered. They finally gave in when I explained that it was their repair that failed. Interestingly, when they tried to repair it the second time at the store, they made it worse and it wouldn't even turn on...just showed a battery with a question mark symbol...so they are getting us another refurb, which the guy said we should have to pay for...but they would make "this one exception." Either way, I really need to drop that stupid $7 a month charge.

P.S. If this thing was a car it I'd have my money back because of the lemon laws, 2 phones ago.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post

Please provide a link.. I would like to see for myself on the any device activated has a warranty.

The only thing I found was this..

Your Device, Number & E-mail Address; Caller ID
    We don't manufacture any Device we might sell to you or that is associated with our Services, and we aren't responsible for any defects, acts or omissions of the manufacturer. The only warranties on your Device are the limited warranties given to you by the manufacturer directly or that we pass through.
    Which doesn't sound the same as we cover any phone, more like we might be nice and cover it but if we decide not too your SOL..

But again if you have a link to something that shows that I would like to see it so I have some ammo if the issue comes up..
    go to phonenews.com,,sprint changes to warrentys just took place this week. All sprint phones will be covered for one year from time of original activation. People with insurance ,it will serve as a bascic extended warrenty plan.
    it's all explained nicely there. If it's over a year,you will have to pay atleast 100 bucks for even the most minor of repair,,not just replacment. So for me,i don't mind paying 7 bucks a month. I find that in my couch per week. My pre is over a year old and feels good to know if I need repair,i still won't have to pay anything.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zmann View Post
    it's all explained nicely there. If it's over a year,you will have to pay atleast 100 bucks for even the most minor of repair,,not just replacment. So for me,i don't mind paying 7 bucks a month. I find that in my couch per week. My pre is over a year old and feels good to know if I need repair,i still won't have to pay anything.
    Nice read but doesn't specify used phones bought from third parties carrying a warranty.

Just lays out

If the phone/device is in warranty and no TEP is attached, the following will be provided at no charge:
    Free software upgrades
    Repair or Exchanges for 35$ due to:
    Mechanical Electrical Error
    Normal Wear and Tear
    Missing Components
    Cracked Housing/LCD
    Broken Hinge/Port/Lenses

For customers not under TEP and have a damaged circuit board, liquid damage/corrosion, a smashed device in 3+ parts, or a stolen/lost device they will either have to Upgrade or purchase a new device at MSRP.
    Which again does not say bring in your 8 month old pre off ebay and we will cover it and replace that broken lcd for $35. I want the part that says any used phone bought from a third party and then activated carries a warranty.

Nice to know now for when I upgrade to a new phone TEP may not be needed.
    That is odd I thought sprint was turning it around. Do they think we have short memories, sprint never honored manufactures warranty just until a couple years ago. And now they go back to that policy.

The thing I hate about the whole TEP thing is that they always try to make you go to insurance and pay the deductible; even though the repair should be done through the service and repair program, and if they can't fix it they should give you a new phone for free. The only time you should use insurance and pay deductible is if the phone is lost, stole, liquid damage, or physically damaged beyond repair due to incidental damage.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    i passed my year with my pre. so i cancelled my insurance. at this point if i'd want a new phone, i can just use my upgrade and get whatever. also, they don't stock pres anymore. and even before the pre was eol, it was free. so i could use my upgrade and get a free pre anyway. i guess you can time it. i'd keep the TEP for the first year, then canc it and just use the upgrade for a bran new phone.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12