Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    When do you think that Palm / HP will be coming out with next iteration of the WebOS based phone? They could do so much more with it as the WebOS does have great promise even though it is a bit light on the App distribution side.

Will there be a Palm Pre 2G anytime soon or are the resources too hard at work trying to bring an iPad killer to market?
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 09/30/2010 at 11:38 PM. Reason: clarified title
    My Palm Pre Gets Its Wallpaper From SmartPhone Wallpaper
    Tablet is early 2011 so they have plenty of time to work on that. And it doesn't require much work in my opinion there's not much to do there besides port webOS to a tablet, but hardware wise you've really got no room to innovate. But I really hope they do.

Phone-wise, they've been working on it since way before the acquisition and I believe that they have more resources working on the phone at the moment than the tablet. Of course the phone announcement is heavily rumoured to be this month for a November release. Of course I think they should focus more on tailoring the OS to work well on the hardware to be a true iPhone competitor. They can't compete without matching the fluidity of the OS, getting rid of ALL the bugs.

They need to add things like 1:1 dragging and GPU acceleration in the OS. And to be honest there are some rather ugly design elements in webOS.

I always felt like webOS was kind of half-baked and rushed to the market (which is why they released so many updates so frequently). I mean the biggest sign is that 1.0 didn't even have the App Catalog! I think that by 4.0 webOS will be at a real 2.0, and I can't wait until it happens even though it won't be until 2012 or 2013.
    2.0 is all i want on my phone. after playing with it, i could care less about a new phone. 2.0 makes it a new phone.
    Palm prē-ist.
    This is beginning to become a weekly post if not twice a week...when new hardware, when 2.0?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rombo View Post
    When do you think that Palm / HP will be coming out with next iteration of the WebOS based phone? They could do so much more with it as the WebOS does have great promise even though it is a bit light on the App distribution side.

Will there be a Palm Pre 2G anytime soon or are the resources too hard at work trying to bring an iPad killer to market?
    Palm is releasing their next device for the holiday season.

Palm+HP...in q1 2011, but the PalnPad will come first. That should give us a taste of what's in store for the real PalmHP smartphone.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    Palm is releasing their next device for the holiday season.

Palm+HP...in q1 2011, but the PalnPad will come first. That should give us a taste of what's in store for the real PalmHP smartphone.
    Do they think that the the Palm Pad will be in more demand than Pre 2.0? Everyone needs a phone, everyone doesn't need a tablet!
    My Palm Pre Gets Its Wallpaper From SmartPhone Wallpaper
    Quote Originally Posted by Rombo View Post
    Do they think that the the Palm Pad will be in more demand than Pre 2.0? Everyone needs a phone, everyone doesn't need a tablet!
    IDK...If PalmHP incorporate innovative hardware and features so it does what others do not to stand out of the crowd, then Yes....especially if they can integrate all HP properties into the webOS ecosystem.
    Off topic:

Quote Originally Posted by anus1220 View Post
    I always felt like webOS was kind of half-baked and rushed to the market (which is why they released so many updates so frequently)
    Are you kidding? webOS is a true competitor to the iPhone, now and always. Palm's multitasking system is miles away better than Apple's, not to mention that Apple was so determined to add features and release on their rigid roadmap that in adding multitasking they released a bug ridden OS and a buggy phone. There's a reason why iOS lost market share and Palm didn't. If you look at the numbers, Jobs may have sold millions of phones, but his userbase only grew by 390,000. Considering that Palm's grew by 210,000 on year old hardware, I'd say they're doing a pretty good job.

And about the app catalog. Apple didn't release their app catalog until a year after the iPhone came out. Palm's was there the day it was released.

Back on topic:

The beta for webOS 2.0 came out over a month ago. We're looking at another month, maybe, until it is released to the carriers. That puts the timeline for a new device well before the holiday season, but they may delay it until we get closer to the holidays.
    Quote Originally Posted by A.Stice View Post

Back on topic:

The beta for webOS 2.0 came out over a month ago. We're looking at another month, maybe, until it is released to the carriers. That puts the timeline for a new device well before the holiday season, but they may delay it until we get closer to the holidays.
    Remember, there is carrier approvals that can take weeks (like Sprint) to months (Vzw) to complete.
    Quote Originally Posted by A.Stice View Post
    Are you kidding? webOS is a true competitor to the iPhone, now and always...
    I guess there are alternate realities. The one I live in hasn't played out that way.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I always felt like webOS was kind of half-baked and rushed to the market
    Interesting. I could not disagree more, though I've only been using webOS since 1.3. webOS has so much more polish than Android it's just not even funny. iOS is more polished, but IMO is much less usable because of poor multi-tasking. The user experiences on all the other mobile OS's aren't even worth mentioning.

I'll definitely agree with you that the UI needs GPU acceleration. That feature alone will make the phone seem so much more responsive and usable.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    I guess there are alternate realities. The one I live in hasn't played out that way.
    Just because Palm doesn't have the market share doesn't mean that they aren't doing a good job of competing. They're not going to throw iOS out of the fight, for sure, but they are holding their ground and even growing in spite of the fact that the iPhone is a 'better' system (not my opinion, I have always thought that webOS is a better platform and that the pre is a better phone, but most consumers don't agree/don't know that) and the fact that they had a fraction of the resources that Apple does. webOS is a solid contender for one of the top three platforms in the future, especially now that their resources rival those of Apple and Google. Don't mistake competition and dominance. webOS isn't king (yet), but it's on the court.

Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    Remember, there is carrier approvals that can take weeks (like Sprint) to months (Vzw) to complete.
    True - but they can probably release a device with 2.0 before the carriers approve it for release to existing phones. I don't work in a cell company, but I do work in an enterprise environment and the work flows are probably similar. We have testing periods for every new product before we approve it for use, and after it's been approved we wait for up to a month before deploying it so we have a nice solid structure in place when it comes to supporting it. A phone update is a new product, same as everything else. The carriers can approve the update at the same time as they approve the new phone, so it can be deployed on new devices before the old ones.
    Last edited by A.Stice; 10/01/2010 at 10:53 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by noahisaac View Post
    Interesting. I could not disagree more, though I've only been using webOS since 1.3. webOS has so much more polish than Android it's just not even funny. iOS is more polished, but IMO is much less usable because of poor multi-tasking. The user experiences on all the other mobile OS's aren't even worth mentioning.
    I felt (and still feel) webOS was more form over function - to a fault. Too many basic modern smartphone capabilities were left out (with many still missing), but it sure did have a cute notification system from the git-go.

Android is more function over form - again to a fault. Those phones have pretty every bell and whistle imaginable, but little of the cute notifications/animations/slickness that webOS or iOS have.

I think I'm a function over form guy at heart. Looks like the bulk of the marketplace is too looking at Android's market share growth (which also explains RIM's market dominance/longevity).
    I think Webos i the best OS on the market before 2.0 is released (I have used 2.0 as well through the DEVO program). To me the ease and elegance of the OS, makes me stay put and wait for something new, otherwise I would have left already. To me I only think people left the pre for the Evos, and Iphones now is just the whole sense of new hardware nothing more. To me as long as HPalm delivers on the new hardware, specs, and bells and whistles it will overshadow anything Apple, windows, and Android has now and for the next 6 months.
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    I think Webos i the best OS on the market before 2.0 is released (I have used 2.0 as well through the DEVO program). To me the ease and elegance of the OS, makes me stay put and wait for something new, otherwise I would have left already. To me I only think people left the pre for the Evos, and Iphones now is just the whole sense of new hardware nothing more. To me as long as HPalm delivers on the new hardware, specs, and bells and whistles it will overshadow anything Apple, windows, and Android has now and for the next 6 months.
    Provided they put the right marketing behind it, which I'm sure HP wants to get right this time. Everyone knows how much of a joke the Pre's marketing was, and whenever the general public sees a Pre nowadays most ask "is that the new BlackBerry?". That's the biggest sign of failed marketing. An almost 2 year old device is mistaken for a 3 month old device 90% of the time.

I think if HP sinks at least 100mil into the marketing alone they can put webOS into the competition for real. Their market share is ridiculously tiny compared to everything else. And that survey that says 0% want a webOS device as their next phone is really sad and I'm sure that hurts HP seeing as they just spent over 1bil on something nobody (besides us core users) wants.
    Global Posts
    956 Global Posts
    I bought a pre on opening day, switching plans around and adding lines etc so I could get it- I am a big guy and yet I have not found a device I type better on- sans the LG Lotus 1, that things keyboard is godly, the taller rather than wider keys work wonders. Anywho.

From day 1 my Pre has done more than my friends iPhone, exhange, multi gmails pushed, multi imap PUSHED - a one stop email shop rather than Androids annoying open the gmail, open the exhange...what you have more than two accounts...well add them as another account into either the exchange or gmail...then goto that app and switch them bla bla crap.

My wife wanted an evo, we both got them- I took mine back and said I am awating to see what HP does- I love webOS it is indeed far better than any other thing out there for phones...may I ask, what is webOS missing? I get all my work and personal email synced pushed- it searches my work active directory for phone and email contacts...it has exhange calender and tasks. Onlything the web does not have is flash, and we will see about HTML5. It has all the major games and fun apps- droid has tons of apps because you have to build the damn OS yourself with all the stupid apps to make it a functional device! Take out the hundreds of app killers, hundreds of memory mangement apps and alternate email apps/SMS apps etc out of the market and your left with the same offerings as everything else.

HP, dont bork it up- give us good hardware and a good keyboard, and a slightly bigger screen... hell steal the BB Tortch