Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So, I normally don't get involved in all the doom and gloom, but this CEO decision has me scratching my head.

Enterpise is a large part of the way HP works. I think of the very large company I am a part of and every one of the many thousands of employees have HP products, and I can see why this seems like a good move for them.

That being said, however, I do not see WebOs getting the full smartphone treatment it deserves under this new guy. He has no experience with it, and my gut tells me this is no good for WebOs on the mobile front. A toaster in every break room, I'm sure, but as a mobile phone OS? The outlook is dim.

I hope I am wrong.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

I really hope you're wrong on this one. :O
    Yah for the sake of my sanity and for the future of my smartphones I hoope we are wrong too. BUT...I totally agree with what you just said...he is an enterprise guy...so HP will do ok with him on the server, enterprise side along with PCs and Windows ...but WebOS is on the consumer side...so I am worried.

Nokia (red phone) --> Denso TouchPoint TP2200 --> Samsung SPH-N400 --> (Palm VII) --> Sanyo 5150 --> Palm Treo 650 --> Palm Pre --> Sprint FrankenPre 2 --> (HP TouchPad)/(HP Pre 3 - Wifi) --> Galaxy Nexus (with TS mod and hopes of Open webOS!)
    this ceo choice won't have any potential impact on palm for years so you can relax
    HP has stated on several occasions that Palm will be allowed to follow its road map after the purchase. This guy was appointed CEO of HP, not Palm, so relax.
    A good CEO knows his strong points AND knows what to deligate... and usually has a good idea if something is heading the right way..

I can't do my taxes... so i choose the right person for the job.
    Don't forget, "Ruby" is still running the Palm division within HP...
    I suspect there is a certain amount of emoting to be expected. But perhaps this is a good time to be reminded of some harsh reality. HP is not a consumer electronics company. They are not Sony, Apple, or even Microsoft. They are more like Cisco or IBM. They might buy a CE company, but they can never be one at their core.

They spent $1.2B on Palm. That has been the smallest of their recent purchases. At $1.2B, Palm is just a hobby. They have gone through one administration since buying Palm, and lost most of the webOS brain-trust along the way. I'm sure they will continue to pursue that avenue in some form. But, they could just as easily let it sit for a while if it becomes too troublesome.

HP is not in the smartphone business. That is not to say that they want make a play in that arena. They might even compete with RIM. But be realistic about who HP is. They cater to IT department heads in the enterprise. They sell cheap Windows boxes, and printer with expensive ink cartridges. They hired the perfect guy for who they are. Adjust your expectations accordingly.
    <passes out the pitchforks and torches to the crowd and points at pogeypre>

I do hope you are wrong also.... but I'm with cantaffordit on this one. I don't see the new CEO changing the roadmap for mobile. <fingers crossed> The smartphone market is still growing ($100 billion industry) and I think they are in a VERY good position to market an OS that has the ability to tie mobile to office hardware like never before.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 09/30/2010 at 07:43 PM.
    I think if they had hired this guy to run Palm then we should worry. I think everything will be just fine. Hopefully he can help attract better business (read: better and more apps) for Palm and HP webOS.

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    So, I normally don't get involved in all the doom and gloom, but this CEO decision has me scratching my head.

That being said, however, I do not see WebOs getting the full smartphone treatment it deserves under this new guy. He has no experience with it, and my gut tells me this is no good for WebOs on the mobile front. A toaster in every break room, I'm sure, but as a mobile phone OS? The outlook is dim.

I hope I am wrong.
    What experience did Hurd (The guy who was CEO when HP bought Palm.) have?
    APP & Patch Makers Get on the:webOS Developers Map
    My Apps: Presentation Controller (for PowerPoint and Open Office Impress), PC Display Master ,Handheld X-Ray H.E. (Halloween Edition), Text Morpher ⓦⓘⓣⓗ ⓑⓤⓑⓑⓛⓔ ⓣⓔⓧⓣ plus Ŧεẍṫ ℉яεαḱεя
    he ran a big freaking tech company, actually.
    Everyone is losing focus here.

The HP plan, with and without Hurd in charge, was to use WebOS as thier dedicated OS to connect everything mobile - make a "totally connected experience" for consumers and enterprises. Tom Bradley said this in his recent TechCrunch interview, and showed it in his slide presentation. He is the ex=Palm CEO who now heads up the Personal Computing division at HP. One would think that his words echo not just his personal vision, but that of the whole company's vision, as set for him, by his superiors, which includes the past CEO's, the interim CEO (Ms. Laszik) and the HP Board of Directors.

The Board of Directors picked the new CEO, announced yesterday.

Do you REALLY think that they'd pick someone who didn't agree with thier visions for the company, particularly given all of the acquisitions they have made over the past 6 months, totalling more than $7billion?

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Tom Bradley is the linchpin in all this. He calls the shots for Palm now and has set their destiny in motion. So long as he and his divisions perform, the CEO won't mess with him.
    Hurt was a hardware guy. HP has the hardware expertise. Now they replaced Hurd with Apotheker. Apotheker is a software guy. Where HP wants to go is not hard to see. Total integration, software to glue all the hardware together. Enterprise first, then trickle down to consumer.

I can bet that the board has been planning this move way before Hurt was booted out.
    He has no experience with it, and my gut tells me this is no good for WebOs on the mobile front. A toaster in every break room, I'm sure, but as a mobile phone OS? The outlook is dim.

I hope I am wrong.

Judging the last 200 postings of you, you are also not that interested in webOS. Sorry couldn't resist, no offence
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
    Judging the last 200 postings of you, you are also not that interested in webOS. Sorry couldn't resist, no offence
    I am very interested in WebOs and what it can offer. I am a Moderator here and have been a part of WebOs outside of PreCentral from the beginning. How I spend my free time on PreCentral.net has no bearing on my interest in WebOs.

The choosing of a new CEO with a different background has huge ramifications for WebOS. You'll notice I didn't say the "End of WebOS", just that WebOs on mobile phones may not be in HP's future. The paltry sum they put up for Palm shows that it might not be ubber important for the new CEO.

HP's money doesn't come in from mobile products alone. It is not a smartphone company. Diluting the interest in WebOs as a mobile phone platform by choosing a CEO that doesn't know what to do with it is disheartening.

Now, I know some of you will say that "Palm is opperating as its own entity within the umbrella of HP." That's true, but HP can and does dictate to its conquered territory what it will and will not do with their IP.

I hope that the roadmap from Palm will be allowed to continue, but where's the proof? That's all I am saying.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

I am very interested in WebOs and what it can offer. I am a Moderator here and have been a part of WebOs outside of PreCentral from the beginning. How I spend my free time on PreCentral.net has no bearing on my interest in WebOs.

The choosing of a new CEO with a different background has huge ramifications for WebOS. You'll notice I didn't say the "End of WebOS", just that WebOs on mobile phones may not be in HP's future. The paltry sum they put up for Palm shows that it might not be ubber important for the new CEO.

HP's money doesn't come in from mobile products alone. It is not a smartphone company. Diluting the interest in WebOs as a mobile phone platform by choosing a CEO that doesn't know what to do with it is disheartening.

Now, I know some of you will say that "Palm is opperating as its own entity within the umbrella of HP." That's true, but HP can and does dictate to its conquered territory what it will and will not do with their IP.

I hope that the roadmap from Palm will be allowed to continue, but where's the proof? That's all I am saying.
    My personal opinion is that HP is still HP and they need a CEO that can deal with what is their biggest product, enterprise. I never thought that their acquisition of Palm meant that they were going to shift their focus to mobile devices, particularly smartphones. They looked at webOS and saw a possibility in providing mobile products to their enterprise customers. Since they seem to want to provide a seamless ecosystem that works through webOS and don't think they will drop smartphones from their road map considering how vital these devices have become to enterprise customers. Will it be the main focus of HP of course not that would be insane.
    Is not just a CEO that gonna to change aaaaall strategy of a biggest enterprise as HP...

Best Regards...
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
    What kind of comment is that? And then followed by "No offence".

Judging by your 200 last postings... Oh wait; you don't have that many...
    Last edited by GuyFromNam; 10/01/2010 at 10:51 AM.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast