Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by zulfaqar621 View Post
    My personal opinion is that HP is still HP and they need a CEO that can deal with what is their biggest product, enterprise. I never thought that their acquisition of Palm meant that they were going to shift their focus to mobile devices, particularly smartphones. They looked at webOS and saw a possibility in providing mobile products to their enterprise customers. Since they seem to want to provide a seamless ecosystem that works through webOS and don't think they will drop smartphones from their road map considering how vital these devices have become to enterprise customers. Will it be the main focus of HP of course not that would be insane.
    There's little doubt the chose the right guy for HP.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

My first reaction to Pogey's post was similar to the following three posts:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    this ceo choice won't have any potential impact on palm for years so you can relax
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    HP has stated on several occasions that Palm will be allowed to follow its road map after the purchase. This guy was appointed CEO of HP, not Palm, so relax.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Tom Bradley is the linchpin in all this. He calls the shots for Palm now and has set their destiny in motion. So long as he and his divisions perform, the CEO won't mess with him.
    But I cannot dismiss Pogey's concerns as easily as many of you are doing. Palm has to perform in order to succeed. They have a chance with HP's expertise at making reasonably solid devices. If they put out good hardware in the next phone they still have a chance. If they outsource their build quality to the "lowest bidder" (again) they will fail. So the next step is in Palm's court. My guess is step 2 will be much more controlled by HP and that will be enterprise integration of meat and potatoes applications to a lighter/mobile tablet-like device. WebOS could get them a nice platform outside of Micro$oft (in the longer run). The bottom line (in my opinion) is that WebOS will have to succeed on it's own merits (which certainly is possible).

Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    I am very interested in WebOs and what it can offer. I am a Moderator here and have been a part of WebOs outside of PreCentral from the beginning. How I spend my free time on PreCentral.net has no bearing on my interest in WebOs.
    It's good that everyone here does not think in exactly the same ways.

I hope that the roadmap from Palm will be allowed to continue, but where's the proof? That's all I am saying.
    There are no guaranteed tickets to anything anymore in life. I suspect you probably don't disagree with my points above either!

thanks!
    --
    Bob
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
    Judging the last 200 postings of you, ... no offence
    Not cool.
    There is a possibility that this could lead to more autonomy for Ruby. The new CEO is not a smartphone expert, and could be less likely to impose his will on how the smartphone business is run. Could be a good thing...
    When it was announced that HP bought Palm in the Spring, there were naysayers and doomsday predicters who thought this was the end of Palm. But that didn't turn out to be the case. webOS 2.0 is on it's way, new hardware will be here eventually, and what was only a wish (webOS tablet) when Palm was an independent company has been green-lighted and funded by HP with a release date in the Spring. So that wasn't the end of the road for Palm afterall.

Then the CEO scandal broke and everyone wondered, what would that mean for our precious Palm? Now there's a new CEO and it's doomsday predictions all over again.

Why are we incessantly trying to "read the tea leaves" when it comes to predicting how HP will treat Palm and webOS? At the end of the day, they want to make money. They are a publically-traded company. If they can make money off Palm and webOS, then it will continue. If it loses money, then they will dump it.

IMO - trying to predict what a new CEO is going to do on the day he's announced (he doesn't even start until Nov 1), rarely ever pans out as predicted.
    I don't know where you guys work and what your experience with corporate management is, but the CEO of a company with a hundred billion dollar market cap is not generally involved in any sort of product design. He doesn't go to Palm, or to the Personal Systems Unit of HP (to which Palm now belongs), and tells the people there what to build, or how.

The kind of influence that he wields over Palm is much more connected to budgeting and long-term (financial) planning. But even in the event that he hates webOS, I wouldn't make the mistake of thinking Apotheker is an *****. It's more likely that he will work with what he's got than that he's going to turn the rudder all the way around.
  7.    #27  
    ................................. for the 9,000,000th time, I am not proclaiming the death of WebOS. I don't think the new CEO wants to kill WebOs, I just don't think the focus will be on Smartphones. Thus the announced toasters, microwaves, and tablets... but nary a solid piece of evidence of new smartphone hardware.

................................. for the 9,000,000th time, I am not proclaiming the death of WebOS. I don't think the new CEO wants to kill WebOs, I just don't think the focus will be on Smartphones.
    I have to admit I don't like the title, but that isn't a reason for slamming the OP.

Hopefully this will quietly be closed (or deleted) so we can accentuate the positive.
  9.    #29  
    I have to admit I don't like the title, but that isn't a reason for slamming the OP.

Hopefully this will quietly be closed (or deleted) so we can accentuate the positive.
    WebOs.... the only fully featured phone OS that you can't get on your phone....

I guess this is all positive for the crowd of 4 people who want internet connected toasters and the 8 people who want WebOs on their printer.

I signed on for a smartphone OS. That's the only thing. I hope I am wrong and that I am proven so in a most embarassing way.

I agree with the OP. Over the last couple of years, everything that could have went wrong with Palm, went wrong. Everything negative simply happened at the wrong time. The "resignation" of Hurd right after buying Palm is just another tick on the list of negatives for Palm, and I see this new CEO as the final straw. Palm will gradually fade away, at least from the public eye. Hopefully I'm wrong.
    ................................. for the 9,000,000th time, I am not proclaiming the death of WebOS. I don't think the new CEO wants to kill WebOs, I just don't think the focus will be on Smartphones. Thus the announced toasters, microwaves, and tablets... but nary a solid piece of evidence of new smartphone hardware.
    See my response to you earlier in the thread - the logic in that is indisputable, and should give you more than enough reason to have more optimism than the apparent pessimism that you are expressing.

Additionally, various executives have all indicated that the smartphone industry is valued at $100b, and that HP wants to be a big part of it. Tom Bradley was the most recent to state this.

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

WebOs.... the only fully featured phone OS that you can't get on your phone....

I guess this is all positive for the crowd of 4 people who want internet connected toasters and the 8 people who want WebOs on their printer.

I signed on for a smartphone OS. That's the only thing. I hope I am wrong and that I am proven so in a most embarassing way.
    I think they would have to still support a smartphone since it really is what would tie all those other devices in together. From the presentation earlier this week by Bradley I think they see webOS as a ecosystem device. All the devices a corporation uses should seamlessly work. I think I big part of that in this day and age is smartphones. They would be nuts not to see that.
    Is there any actual evidence to support the idea that HP will start manufacturing home appliances? A printer is a far cry from a refrigerator...
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    And yes, I'll have that webtOSter, thanks very much.
    I agree, if it means I can print directly from my pre, I'll take a webOS-based printer too!
  15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by nbmatt View Post
    Is there any actual evidence to support the idea that HP will start manufacturing home appliances? A printer is a far cry from a refrigerator...
    ...... now it is, but wait for the HP Refrigerinter.

16.    #36  
    Like I said, if I a wrong, I hope I am so wrong as to be found in the dictionary under Epic Wrong.

Epic Wrong - see Pogeypre

Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    That being said, however, I do not see WebOs getting the full smartphone treatment it deserves under this new guy. He has no experience with it, and my gut tells me this is no good for WebOs on the mobile front. A toaster in every break room, I'm sure, but as a mobile phone OS? The outlook is dim.

I hope I am wrong.
    Because he has no experience with smartphone/mobile products he's not good for WebOS? Do you think the current CEO of GE knows a thing about jet engines and locomotives? He (Jeff Immelt) headed up GE's Medical Systems division before being promoted to CEO. The military is still buying jet engines, Metro-North is still using GE locomotives, and NBC is still on TV.

When I worked at The Home Depot, it was headed by Robert Nardelli, an ex-GE guy. What did he know about hardware and retail before Home Depot? Nardelli was credited with doubling sales and improving its competitive position. Revenue increased from $45.74 billion in 2000 to $81.51 billion in 2005, while net earnings after tax rose from $2.58 billion to $5.84 billion.

CEO's of multi-billion dollar companies are 'big-picture' kind of guys. Palm, like it or not, was never part of the big picture. I believe that regardless if Palm smartphones becomes wildly successful, it will be but a fraction of the overall revenues HP will generate (believe me, I want Palm to be wildly successful). Palm/WebOS will complement HP very well, but it wasn't meant to be a principle force within the company (that's not saying that it won't). Nevertheless, it will be a source of revenue that the CEO will take advantage of and put to use... in both hardware (including smartphones) and software.

Like you, I can't predict the future better than anyone else, but unlike you, I believe your gut is wrong.
    Last edited by RafRol; 10/01/2010 at 05:07 PM.
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by sudoer View Post
    If they put out good hardware in the next phone they still have a chance. If they outsource their build quality to the "lowest bidder" (again) they will fail.
    You do realize that the Pre is manufactured by the same company that makes the iPhone and many other handsets lauded for their build quality, right?
    yep, better said as 'design quality'
    Quote Originally Posted by idontwan2know View Post
    You do realize that the Pre is manufactured by the same company that makes the iPhone and many other handsets lauded for their build quality, right?
    I don't remember who the contract ODM firm what made the Pre was, but they were bought out by a bigger company a few months ago. I don't think they had the same resources then as they do now. If I'm totally wrong, it would not be the first time.

yep, better said as 'design quality'
    Exactly! I don't think the designers of the hardware did a very good job engineering simple things like the slider and the USB port. I'm not sure if that was the ODM, or Palm (or both). I'm pretty sure the plastic screen decision was probably selected by Palm (possibly by Ruby).

I think the good news is that Palm learned some lessons and now have some HP talent to achive a good design. If this is true, a 2nd gen Pre should be pretty good.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast