Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Just read that HP removed its Envy 15 from their website and the 14 will follow according to HP, they won’t be available again.

Now, wth their purchase of Palm a few months back, HP made a move to become their own full-function all-inclusive “computer” company. Without having to support Windows or Android, HP has said they’ll be using WebOS in all of their devices including printers, tablets, computers and other devices.

Depending on who is talking, the tablet is due to be released in HPs first quarter (October-December) or in the first month of 2011.

I think (and hope) that the best case scenario for HP after hiring a new CEO, is to release their full-function, simple-to-use, fast desktop and laptop computer (they were the first major computer company that applied touchscreen Technology)running their WebOS. Then, on the same day, at the same press conference, announce their brand-new, super-sleek, light and fast, simple-to-use, WebOS Pad, and a brand-new, light, fast, state-of-the-art (do they call it that anymore?), physical keyboard, new type of replaceable battery (that lasts for 2 days), Skype-enabled, dual camera, with kick-*** hardware, WebOS smartphone carried by Sprint for a week, then By all of the other carriers in the US at the same time would give Apple, Google, Microsoft, Nokia, HTC, etc. a major run for all their money(s). All a much better affordable price-point!

I need some news on my new phone already, HP! It’s killing me! But if you actually announce all of the above, on the same day (say… the first week in October?) it would make my wait (and so many other Palm faithfuls) for the past year and a half so worth it!

This is your opportunity HP! Kill it! But please get your CEO situation settled soon!

By the way, I’m always available! :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by fed5 View Post
    Now, wth their purchase of Palm a few months back, HP made a move to become their own full-function all-inclusive “computer” company. Without having to support Windows or Android, HP has said they’ll be using WebOS in all of their devices including printers, tablets, computers and other devices.
    They've said that WebOS will be supported across a wide variety of platforms, not that they're ditching every OS except WebOS. Their notebooks and desktops will still come with Windows 7 by default.

I think (and hope) that the best case scenario for HP after hiring a new CEO, is to release their full-function, simple-to-use, fast desktop and laptop computer (they were the first major computer company that applied touchscreen Technology)running their WebOS.
    Your hope is for them to commit suicide by releasing a desktop and laptop computer that runs an OS that is currently not designed for those platforms, has an extremely limited app selection, no major office suite (QuickDocs doesn't count), and no support for any of the mainstream browsers?
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Blank View Post
    They've said that WebOS will be supported across a wide variety of platforms, not that they're ditching every OS except WebOS. Their notebooks and desktops will still come with Windows 7 by default.
    Yeah, regardless of whatever happens with the Envy, HP is a Microsoft partner, and they will make far more money with Microsoft-enabled products than they will through WebOS devices. Only a lunatic would put WebOS on something other than a small, portable internet connected device.
    HP's not getting rid of the Envy line. Indeed, they just refreshed the 14 and 17. The 13 and 15 were mostly legacy anyways, and so if they don't come back that won't surprise me.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Yeah, regardless of whatever happens with the Envy, HP is a Microsoft partner, and they will make far more money with Microsoft-enabled products than they will through WebOS devices. Only a lunatic would put WebOS on something other than a small, portable internet connected device.
    True enough. I believe it's in 2015 that they're expecting non-PC (i.e., webOS and ancillary) stuff to be 45% of their PSG revenues. But, 45% is still quite a bit less than 55%, albeit their webOS stuff will be more profitable (no paying license fees to Microsoft).
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    what they really need to do is release a phone thats all any of us want! october has to be the month if not... november will.lol.....we should see.. they should stop being all secretive though.. we need the people that work for them to work for our government.. there good at keeping secrets.wow...
    Hearing about a phone would be great, but I think we will be holding our breath for a while longer...

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    From a business perspective...announcing/launching a new smartphone at the same time as a new HP webOS tablet would help generate buzz/hype/whathaveyou...because you know a new HP tablet is going to be much bigger news than a new HP/Palm phone to the majority of the web news world.

I really dont want to wait until CES for a new phone though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Blank View Post
    Your hope is for them to commit suicide by releasing a desktop and laptop computer that runs an OS that is currently not designed for those platforms, has an extremely limited app selection, no major office suite (QuickDocs doesn't count), and no support for any of the mainstream browsers?
    That would be suicide.

But getting out a portfolio of touchscreen-enabled notebooks and netbooks (and eventually maybe desktop PCs) running both webOS and win7 out of the box, with webOS popping up as soon as you switch the device on (remember the quickstart linux that HP bought a week after Palm?) and Windows loading in the background to be accessed whenever you want - that's not suicide at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    That would be suicide.

But getting out a portfolio of touchscreen-enabled notebooks and netbooks (and eventually maybe desktop PCs) running both webOS and win7 out of the box, with webOS popping up as soon as you switch the device on (remember the quickstart linux that HP bought a week after Palm?) and Windows loading in the background to be accessed whenever you want - that's not suicide at all.
    I wouldn't be surprised at all to see a version of webOS (that works with a mouse/trackpad) become the replacement for HP's QuickWeb instant-on solution. On machines with touchscreens (all of the Touchsmart line), it would be amazing.
    HP isn't going to put webOS on their computers. They *might* try netbooks with it, but for the most part it is smartphones, tablets, and printers.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by fed5 View Post
    Just read that HP removed its Envy 15 from their website and the 14 will follow according to HP, they won’t be available again.

Depending on who is talking, the tablet is due to be released in HPs first quarter (October-December) or in the first month of 2011.

I think (and hope) that the best case scenario for HP after hiring a new CEO, is to release their full-function, simple-to-use, fast desktop and laptop computer (they were the first major computer company that applied touchscreen Technology)running their WebOS. Then, on the same day, at the same press conference, announce their brand-new, super-sleek, light and fast, simple-to-use, WebOS Pad, and a brand-new, light, fast, state-of-the-art (do they call it that anymore?), physical keyboard, new type of replaceable battery (that lasts for 2 days), Skype-enabled, dual camera, with kick-*** hardware, WebOS smartphone carried by Sprint for a week, then By all of the other carriers in the US at the same time would give Apple, Google, Microsoft, Nokia, HTC, etc. a major run for all their money(s). All a much better affordable price-point!

I need some news on my new phone already, HP! It’s killing me! But if you actually announce all of the above, on the same day (say… the first week in October?) it would make my wait (and so many other Palm faithfuls) for the past year and a half so worth it!

This is your opportunity HP! Kill it! But please get your CEO situation settled soon!

By the way, I’m always available! :-)
    Whatever you're smoking, I want it!
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    with webOS popping up as soon as you switch the device on
    Wont that be the day...
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    Wont that be the day...
    hahahahahaha.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    HP isn't going to put webOS on their computers. They *might* try netbooks with it, but for the most part it is smartphones, tablets, and printers.
    I can see WebOS used on there TouchSmart All-In-One computers. Quick touch access to infomation combined with Windows 7 - that would be nice!

Edit: That will be how HP will get WebOS on all the HW they sale - smartphones, tablets, and computers.