1.    #1  
    Apple TV 2nd Generation Teardown - iFixit

So if Apple can spread their iOS and theri standard-silicon all over different devices why shouldn't HP build a webOS-toaster, ok or printers and streamingboxes?
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    Well the printers are going to happen, but as far as other products are concerned HP has a lot to prove before any manufacturer picks up WebOS and integrates it into their products. Not saying its not going to happen, just may be while before HP gets WebOS a foothold in the everyday user market. This is why HP is risking a lot by believing so much in WebOS.
    "I will go in this way, but I'll find my own way out." -DMB

Dear Lord,
    Please grant me the ability to punch people in the face over standard TCP/IP.
    Amen.
    webOS itself has a long ways to go before it's capable of some of the things that iOS is capable of. Plain and simple.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    webOS itself has a long ways to go before it's capable of some of the things that iOS is capable of. Plain and simple.
    Well that's an interesting statement. I think I could turn it around and argue that it's just as true.

Care to enlighten us exactly where/how/why iOS is *so* far ahead of webOS?
    Quote Originally Posted by davis.rob View Post
    Well that's an interesting statement. I think I could turn it around and argue that it's just as true.

Care to enlighten us exactly where/how/why iOS is *so* far ahead of webOS?
    I could say the number of API's available to developers on iOS but it'd be a lot easier to say how many API's are lacking on webOS that hinder developers. Was this a serious statement? Are you new to webOS?
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    iOS as a iTunes streamer (as it's used in appletv) isn't very far ahead of WebOS in anything. What is way ahead is iTunes versus the Palm App Catalog, Amazon Store, etc. Right now the only steaming video services on WebOS are 3rd party streamers (You Tube and Break). The hardest part of streaming video is getting through the red tape with studios and getting more 3rd party supporters (NetFlix).

Also comparing the current iOS on the iPhone to the current WebOS and Palm Pre is a poor comparison. iOS is 2 years ahead in development than WebOS. If you want to compare APIs/features look back to iPhone OS 2.0. Did it even have video back then? I'm pretty sure it didn't. For the 1+ year WebOS has been playing catchup, and has been doing so at an accelerated rate compared to iOS and even Android. Will they eventually catchup? Maybe. Your comparison is similar to people who compare current PS3 sales to 360 sales. The 360 had a year head start, if they didn't have more sales at this point Microsoft would have heads on pikes lining the streets of their campus. Similarly, if WebOS currently had more features and better APIs than iOS and Android, there would a ton of job postings at Apple and Google for OS developers. A posting I see at Palms career site every time I pop in to check my options.
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Honis View Post
    iOS as a iTunes streamer (as it's used in appletv) isn't very far ahead of WebOS in anything. What is way ahead is iTunes versus the Palm App Catalog, Amazon Store, etc. Right now the only steaming video services on WebOS are 3rd party streamers (You Tube and Break). The hardest part of streaming video is getting through the red tape with studios and getting more 3rd party supporters (NetFlix).

Also comparing the current iOS on the iPhone to the current WebOS and Palm Pre is a poor comparison. iOS is 2 years ahead in development than WebOS. If you want to compare APIs/features look back to iPhone OS 2.0. Did it even have video back then? I'm pretty sure it didn't. For the 1+ year WebOS has been playing catchup, and has been doing so at an accelerated rate compared to iOS and even Android. Will they eventually catchup? Maybe. Your comparison is similar to people who compare current PS3 sales to 360 sales. The 360 had a year head start, if they didn't have more sales at this point Microsoft would have heads on pikes lining the streets of their campus. Similarly, if WebOS currently had more features and better APIs than iOS and Android, there would a ton of job postings at Apple and Google for OS developers. A posting I see at Palms career site every time I pop in to check my options.
    You compare what's current on the market, not what was current two years ago. In other words, what you're saying is webOS is comparable to two-year old software.
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    You compare what's current on the market, not what was current two years ago. In other words, what you're saying is webOS is comparable to two-year old software.
    What I'm saying is, expecting something to be released and magically have all the features of a more mature product is a fools expectation.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3
    What I'm saying is, expecting something to be released and magically have all the features of a more mature product is a fools expectation.
    No. A fool is staying with an OS that has been out nearly a year and a half and hasn't delivered any of the new API's needed to help third-party developers extend webOS' abilities.

You don't deliver on hope or expectations. What about Windows Phone 7? There are no excuses if you release a product that isn't competitive in the market in which you're trying to compete in.
    Also comparing the current iOS on the iPhone to the current WebOS and Palm Pre is a poor comparison. iOS is 2 years ahead in development than WebOS.
    Oh puhleeeeeez!!!! How many years had Nokia, Microsoft, RIM, and Palm been doing mobile phones before the iPhone came out in 2007 and made them all look like relics?

That's such a weak argument. If you can't compete with what's current when you decide to release your product, then maybe you shouldn't release it and try again.

This very foolish argument that many webOS users voice out, you only compare current products. I don't care if the iOS is 2 years older than webOS. If Palm is not ready to compete and release current products then they should close their doors. People should stop making this argument.
    I think what you just said is foolish, no offense!
    I'm a toaster with WebOS. :P
    Quote Originally Posted by toasterthegamer View Post
    I'm a toaster with WebOS. :P
    Frackin' skinjob.
    .,;-#$^***^$#-;,.

I just want a phone to be honest....
    Quote Originally Posted by ClemsonPre View Post
    I just want a phone to be honest....
    Hopefully it makes calls!
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by htabbach View Post
    This very foolish argument that many webOS users voice out, you only compare current products. I don't care if the iOS is 2 years older than webOS. If Palm is not ready to compete and release current products then they should close their doors. People should stop making this argument.
    If companies held to what you suggest then we'd still be in the 80s because hardly anyone would release to the market. Including the first iPhone which had fewer features and abilities than even feature phones of the time. iOS has had time to mature and grow. Microsoft has the resources to put a few hundred engineers behind a mobile OS and has had experience developing a decent modern UI for mobile devices thanks to the Zune. You may not care about facts, but the facts are any piece of maintained software will never be perfect/finished and will gain features as it gets older.
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo21
    AppleTv is nearly an iPAD, why no Toaster with webOS
    And GoogleTV is nearly an Android, why no Toaster with webOS?
    If companies held to what you suggest then we'd still be in the 80s because hardly anyone would release to the market. Including the first iPhone which had fewer features and abilities than even feature phones of the time. iOS has had time to mature and grow. Microsoft has the resources to put a few hundred engineers behind a mobile OS and has had experience developing a decent modern UI for mobile devices thanks to the Zune. You may not care about facts, but the facts are any piece of maintained software will never be perfect/finished and will gain features as it gets older.
    I agree. WebOS 2.0 on new hardware is totally going to smoke the iPhone 3G!
    The difference being competitive vs. non-competitive. When the first iPhone was released, yes it lacked many features that it has today but it was above and beyond any other device in its respective market.

The market is a lot different today (thanks to none other than Apple) than what it was ~3 years ago. You can't release a product today and hope for it to sale based on potential alone.