Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    FT.com / Technology - HP puts weight behind Palm smartphone system

Mr Rubinstein expressed some frustration at the lack of new Palm products since the completion of company’s acquisition by HP in July.
    Yes, even Mr. Rubenstein is begging for more devices!
    The article focuses on multi-tasking and cloud storage as the keys to separate HP Palm from the Fruit and Googles. That should be the focus of the new hardware and marketing plan.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    I will tell you what. After reading the article, it reemphasized to me what a big risk/investment HP is taking on in webOS & how much they must believe in it. They already had commitments & business relationships w/ Microsoft/Windows as well as Google/Android, yet are willing to risk those relationships in order to commit to webOS. I know webOS sells itself, but Mr. Rubenstein must have really put on a show/demonstration because HP's investment goes well beyond $1.2B.
    Quote Originally Posted by rlangley21 View Post
    The article focuses on multi-tasking and cloud storage as the keys to separate HP Palm from the Fruit and Googles. That should be the focus of the new hardware and marketing plan.
    very true

a successful product finds a specific niche to differentiate from it's competitors. Look at apple.. they praise the app store, android.. actually.. what is so special about android? lol
    RIM is corporate email/messaging

Cloud storage could be that niche for HP/Palm, if they execute it properly
    Quote Originally Posted by kjb86 View Post
    very true

a successful product finds a specific niche to differentiate from it's competitors. Look at apple.. they praise the app store, android.. actually.. what is so special about android? lol

Apple focuses on the user experience. Google focuses on being open, which is more or less being open with the carriers/manufactures. RIM focuses on the enterprise.
    Quote Originally Posted by kjb86 View Post
    very true

A ton of people use Google products: maps, mail, search, calendar, docs

There's a pretty good case in getting Android if you use these products all the time. Which I do. But I'm still holding out for Palm. (But it's pretty frustrating seeing how clean GMail and Google Maps are on my friend's T-Mobile G1 with Android 1.6(!!!) compared to my Pre. I will be pretty upset if HP/Palm don't get their Google apps up to speed.)

Also, everyone is talking about cloud storage now. I don't think that'll be a proper differentiating niche for HP/Palm... which has left me wondering just what their niche will be. The best I can think of is it being seen as a more entertainment-oriented BlackBerry :/
    "A former head of Apple’s iPod division, Mr Rubinstein expressed some frustration at the lack of new Palm products since the completion of company’s acquisition by HP in July. But he was confident on the revised version of webOS – webOS 2.0 – and said HP had plans to leverage its enormous customer base for personal computers in order to sell more smartphones."

the article dosent emphesize his frustraction in the area you think, because he even states is confident that HP is doing the best they can to create smartphones at this point. They even sent hundreds of HP employees early on to help production. I believe his frustration is just not seeing a new product yet from his company, hence to me maybe stating the C40 was a real product, and was set to be released on sprint in july as everything was pointed through rumors throught the internet.
    This makes me feel better, actually. The fact that Ruby is as frustrated as we are means that he gets the need to get something out soon. I guess the fact that he's empathizing with us at least means that Palm is not oblivious to the need to get hardware out soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    It's becoming pretty apparent that Palm isn't being run as an autonomous company within HP using HP's credit card. Otherwise, there would be no reason for the guy running Palm to express frustration over something like this.
    oh, I think you could be frustrated by your own shortcomings, too.

being frustrated shows his sense of urgency, not any attempt by him to cast blame.
    It also shows that he's not steering the boat anymore, and that's probably for the best.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    It also shows that he's not steering the boat anymore, and that's probably for the best.
    so if you lose at a game and get frustrated, that means you aren't steering your boat any more?

that's quite a leap...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    so if you lose at a game and get frustrated, that means you aren't steering your boat any more?

that's quite a leap...
    well... if you really think about it...
    It's becoming pretty apparent that Palm isn't being run as an autonomous company within HP using HP's credit card. Otherwise, there would be no reason for the guy running Palm to express frustration over something like this.
    Add to that HP's 'donation' of 200 additional employees to Palm. It's really simply a 're-education pogrom' like when a communist power takes over a country and the HP employees are the Zampolit.

that's quite a leap...
    Huh? He doesn't have the autonomy to release what devices when he wants. That's not a knock on him. Just a fact of being acquired by HP. You see Rahul Sood going all out on the gaming PC market after getting acquired by HP? No, of course not. HP re-evaluated how viable that industry was and decided to just keep the Envy name and instant-on OS for future HP products.

Given the product design decisions during Rubinstein's tenure as boss, I think it's a good idea that he focus on other things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Add to that HP's 'donation' of 200 additional employees to Palm. It's really simply a 're-education pogrom' like when a communist power takes over a country and the HP employees are the Zampolit.
    Wow... is that ever a bad example. People should be excited to see HP move a couple hundred people over to Palm and invest those kind of resources in that division. By investing more manpower and capital in Palm they are speeding up all aspects of webOS development - software and hardware. Quite different than a 'communist re-education'.
    I think Dell and HP have, in general, conceded the smartphone market to the Apples, RIMs, Samsungs, and HTC's of the world. The iPad, however, strikes a little close to home as a competitor for netbook and notebook customers. While there certainly will be phones from Dell and HP, the majority of the push will be in the tablet space.

The fact that HP has chosen to do an Android tablet, Windows 7, and a webOS tablet, all within two quarters, shows that they are throwing everything but the kitchen sink at the tablet space. However, there's no HP Android phone nor will there be a HP Windows Phone 7. I just don't think they are as interested in smartphones as they are in tablets.
    I think they're going after tablets first because it's easier. The market's really wide open there, compared to smartphones. But I don't think for a minute that they don't see smartphones as important--quite the contrary. It's the importance of the smartphone market that's making HP move more cautiously.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    I think Dell and HP have, in general, conceded the smartphone market to the Apples, RIMs, Samsungs, and HTC's of the world. The iPad, however, strikes a little close to home as a competitor for netbook and notebook customers. While there certainly will be phones from Dell and HP, the majority of the push will be in the tablet space.
    I used to think this, but I'm not sure these guys are differentiating. Remember, Dell released pictures and specs months ago of a whole new range of smartphones with Android and Windows Phone 7 onboard. That's more products leaked than most of their competitors. HP?...I can't say until they actually get around to announcing anything. I'm thinking CES.....
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Huh? He doesn't have the autonomy to release what devices when he wants. That's not a knock on him. Just a fact of being acquired by HP. You see Rahul Sood going all out on the gaming PC market after getting acquired by HP? No, of course not. HP re-evaluated how viable that industry was and decided to just keep the Envy name and instant-on OS for future HP products.
    he didn't say any of that. but if you actually work at HP as an executive, then please enlighten us on who is steering the smartphone ship.

that is some world-class conclusion jumping.
    he didn't say any of that. but if you actually work at HP as an executive, then please enlighten us on who is steering the smartphone ship.

that is some world-class conclusion jumping.
    Surely you jest. If HP cares about WebOS as intellectual property, they are not going to give carte blanche to Jon "Hey, the Pixi was a great idea" Rubinstein to design and release handsets at will using it. I don't care what Jon says or doesn't say...no company spends that much on an acquisition without their own plans for it.
    I agree. I think part of Palm's inability to maintain itself as an independent company is partly due to their waste of resources on the Pixi phone line.

I bet if someone had numbers on it, it would be in the hundreds of millions of dollars that were unfortunately allocated to the design and production of the Pixi.

HP obviously has no desire to put out sub-par product, and letting Ruby diversify his eggs into several weak bottomed baskets is not a good idea.

... And yes, I believe the Pixi is sub-par. It's a phone that 'could' have done everything the Pre could do, but was purposefully hindered to segregate their demographic of customers. Part of why I loved Palm back in the day was that I could do everything on the Centro that I could do on the Treo 700 (sans wifi, but even without that, I could still tether).

Had form-factor been the only differentiation between that and the Pre, I would have snapped up the Pixi in a hot second (my manhood be damned)...

John obviously needs to be checked. He can't seriously believe the Pixi was a success. But I guess 'great idea' and 'success' are two totally different things in the Palm camp now-a-days.
    Last edited by Strikerage; 09/29/2010 at 10:31 AM.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast