Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just, read. And think if new hardware is REALLY that important for RIGHT now:

Apple iPhone 4
    Pros: Beautiful hardware, fast software upgrades.
    Cons: In the US, 1 horrible carrier, only 1 form factor.

RIM BlackBerry
    Pros: Solid QWERTY devices, every price range, BB Servers, and every carrier has them.
    Cons: Old processors and horribly outdated OS (yes, even OS6).

Google Android
    Pros: Many wonderful hardware choices and available on all carriers
    Cons: FRAGMENTATION and ugly UIs (the reasons I won't switch) and the debatable decisions Google has made regarding people's personal information. Also, there is no way to restore you phone, like webOS doctor does for the Pres and Pixis and iTunes does for the iPhones.

Now, drum roll please...

Palm webOS
    Pros: 2 great form factors, fantastic homebrew support and recognition from Palm, no fragmentation (1.4.5 was close...), even Apple says Palm makes great software, on the 3 LARGEST US carriers.
    Cons: Lack of new hardware on Sprint.

Guys, think about it. Palm's pros are still pretty impressive. I am perfectly content with my pre. That's why you always buy the best smartphone available, so it doesn't go outdated in a year. Look at the HTC Hero and Droid Eris...yuck. Fine, go buy your Android 2.1 device, or blackberry that may not get OS 6. I will be playing with my pre 2 and waiting for webOS 2. So, discuss
    Last edited by Schmid7y; 09/27/2010 at 08:00 PM.
    +1
    As I always say ~ I'm loving my pre, but I wouldn't mind having something new.
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    yeah palm has a great form factor with the pre but the actual hardware used to make it is complete crap. it needs a redesign
    My only problems are with the pre, if I had a pixi I would very like have made the Radio swap for MHS and wifi with probably 100% no complaints at all, the pre's slider is subpar and there should have been no excuse to not improve it for sprint and Bell, and just so you know Schmidy7 the pre/pixi are available on Bell
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    +1
    thank you!
    Quote Originally Posted by RUSH View Post
    As I always say ~ I'm loving my pre, but I wouldn't mind having something new.
    I wouldn't mind either, I am just saying, the pros out weight the cons.
    Quote Originally Posted by brendu View Post
    yeah palm has a great form factor with the pre but the actual hardware used to make it is complete crap. it needs a redesign
    I agree. The plus fixed most of the problems for ATT and VZW. That is the only con, the outdated pre on Sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by manordwall View Post
    My only problems are with the pre, if I had a pixi I would very like have made the Radio swap for MHS and wifi with probably 100% no complaints at all, the pre's slider is subpar and there should have been no excuse to not improve it for sprint and Bell, and just so you know Schmidy7 the pre/pixi are available on Bell
    I know, I just wanted to keep things focused on the US. The iPhone is available in Canada as well. And I also agree, if the Sprint Pixi has wifi, I would have kept it.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmid7y View Post
    Just, read. And think if new hardware is REALLY that important for RIGHT now:
    I think the hardware is just fine if HP is happy w/a 4.9% market share going forward...I don't think they are. I hope they aren't.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike5 View Post
    I think the hardware is just fine if HP is happy w/a 4.9% market share going forward...I don't think they are. I hope they aren't.
    I am not saying this is good for the long run. I am saying for right now. Kinda like right now, Apple is fine with being on one carrier. In the future, they will be on multiple in the US. Just like, the the future, we will see a new Palm phone.
    no, sorry. i hate my pre because it doesn't have a ff camera that i can video chat only using wifi and only with people who have the same device as me.
    ha.

+1 for the OP!
    You really think those are the only Palm cons....?
  11. AZ8
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    +1
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    Those are the only ones that matter to me. I am fairly positive there are more pros and cons for everything, not just Palm. Mind telling what yours are opposed to making me guess?
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ8 View Post
    +1
    Care to explain?
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmid7y View Post
    Those are the only ones that matter to me. I am fairly positive there are more pros and cons for everything, not just Palm. Mind telling what yours are opposed to making me guess?
    Well you con is no new hardware.

My realistic con that applies to me and obviously the market:

The slow down of developer support on the platform. This is now an uphill battle for Palm. Yes, WebOS can port 3D games easily, thats nice and all but the rest of their applications, unless its as basic as a twitter app need help...badly. Palm's SDK needs a revamp to catch up to the market. Esp. after time with my Evo, its clear Palm is waaaaaaaaay behind in this department. The trouble is, its not like they are pushing a lot of units to encourage developers to even bother if they do improve their SDK.

What has so far been shown of 2.0 has some nice upgrades to WebOS but add very little in the way of catching up to the competition in everything else besides task switching.

I mean these are two huge ones for me again after i've had my Evo for a month and change now. I was on the camp of "well i have my full rebate, i'll buy an evo and come back to WebOS next year". I'm now in the camp of, they need to do a lot more to convince me to come back. And who knows, I'm not counting them out at all.....but to pretend they don't have a hell of an uphill battle (worse than when the Pre first came out IMO) would be silly.

Good luck Palm, big fan for years, but even the new comer to the mobile block, windows phone 7 looks to be a better offering (to me).
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    Well for me the reason that I am dying to get a new device is that I need a new phone in the very near future. My current Pre is falling apart which is probably something that you can add to your "Cons list." Not only do we need new hardware we need more solid hardware.

Currently my speaker is broken
    The earpeice speaker is going out
    It oreos like crazy
    The volume up button does not work
    The screen is starting to crack from the usb port

... and the battery is at about 65% health, which I don't concider as necessarly Palm's fault but it does compound the fact that I need something new.

I have concidered just getting another Pre, but with this version's hardware history (and yes I know there are people who will be happy to chime in that are still using launch day Pres but they seem to be the exception, more often than not they do break) there is no telling if a replacement would last until palm finally announced something new either. Plus then I am out an extra $100~$150 that I could have put towards a new phone when/if one comes out.

Don't get me wrong if the Pre did not have these build quality issues/defects (or whatever you want to call them) I would happily keep on trucking with this phone. With Uber Kernel and a handhull of patches I am absoulutely thrilled with it's performance and all around I genuinely do love the size shape feel of this phone... But it does not change the fact that my phone is still broken and needs to be replaced.
    Sprint Customer since 2001
    Palm User since 2004
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    hell yea new hardware is important to me. i think I'm going slightly crazy I don’t think I have every owned a phone this long it wouldn't be so bad if the pre was a top of line build but it isn’t. I'm a self confessed gadget wh0re and sticking with the pre is like turning me into a house wife. But seriously hacks and tweaks can only take you so far. I need a new webos device soon or at least some info to make be going.
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
    well I have no problem with my pre, I have a launch day one on sprint and its flawless no issue. The only reason Id want a new phone is basicly something with a tad bigger screen, and a more solid hardware. Also with a min of 1ghz processor (where I dont have to overclock it) and more ram. With this if they really make a great phone design with great specs I prob wont upgrade for 2 or so years. To me as I always said I dont want a prototype phone like palm released on sprint last year (very incomplete) I know HP def wouldnt allow that. So to me I hope HP and Palm has a very very complete phone, with no hiccups including everything required by the masses, and if it takes them until next year then wait until next year, just dont rush something on to the market thats not finished. To me this is Webos's second and last chance in terms of smartphones to get it right, and this time with HP's resources there wont be any excuses this time if not executed right.
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    well I have no problem with my pre, I have a launch day one on sprint and its flawless no issue. The only reason Id want a new phone is basicly something with a tad bigger screen, and a more solid hardware. Also with a min of 1ghz processor (where I dont have to overclock it) and more ram. With this if they really make a great phone design with great specs I prob wont upgrade for 2 or so years. To me as I always said I dont want a prototype phone like palm released on sprint last year (very incomplete) I know HP def wouldnt allow that. So to me I hope HP and Palm has a very very complete phone, with no hiccups including everything required by the masses, and if it takes them until next year then wait until next year, just dont rush something on to the market thats not finished. To me this is Webos's second and last chance in terms of smartphones to get it right, and this time with HP's resources there wont be any excuses this time if not executed right.
    and I also recently saw someone using a Treo650 so I can understand this being ok for some but based on the market +6 months is a long time. No headset will be without with flaws. I dont think the pre was incomplete.
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc31 View Post
    and I also recently saw someone using a Treo650 so I can understand this being ok for some but based on the market +6 months is a long time. No headset will be without with flaws. I dont think the pre was incomplete.
    if you ever used the Treo 755p or Centro, you think of the Pre as incomplete. However, with more than 70 patches from Jason and other homebrew wizards it gets much closer>

I'm confident that webOS 2.0 will close that gap in many areas, and recent leaks and palm statements support that confidence.
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    Thanks for this post.

Since we all use our phones differently, I might have different pros and cons but I wholeheartedly agree that each OS has certain things it does better and worse than another OS.

I have used iOS, BB, Palm OS and WebOs. I have not used winmo enough to give an opinion. Each has certain things it does well and some things that need help. I admit that I sometimes get frustrated reading posts here where people trash WebOs and how they are going to jump ship to something else. Those people will likely never be happy. Yes Webos needs some things but so does every other OS. People should pick the one they like the best since none of them will do everything to everyone's satisfaction. I like Webos the best but it doesn't mean that there aren't things I miss from my 755p.

I do enjoy reading the posts from people that have switched and come back and have discovered that the grass is not always greener.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast