Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    I think one of the major points everyone is missing is the length of production needed to build an inventory.

For example:

Palm needs a phone inventory of 250,000 phones.

A factory works 24 hours a day and can build 100 phones a hour.

That is 2400 phones a day.

That would be it would over 104 days to produce enough inventory.

Even if we know what the phone is tomorrow, I just can't see how a new phone is released before January.
    what if they are already in production since say august?

also where are you getting your numbers from? Is that palms old manufacurer or HP's known resources or did you make it up?
    doubt it.

give us a source on your data. and are you saying that a company as big as HP has only 1 factory manufacturing their devices?
    Quote Originally Posted by abrown83 View Post
    I think one of the major points everyone is missing is the length of production needed to build an inventory.

For example:

Even if we know what the phone is tomorrow, I just can't see how a new phone is released before January.
    Sure, IF they only just approved the device for production, now, and to only one factory.

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

For example:

Since you are clearly working at their only factory, let us know when the first units start rolling off the line. We will look to you for leaked pictures, too.

Seriously, how could you possibly know this, and how do you intend to prove it? Did someone tell you how many they can build, how many they need in inventory, etc?

I'd argue they need way more than 250,000 too.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    Sure, IF they only just approved the device for production, now, and to only one factory.

They will not go into production until approved by the FCC.

HP will examine the long term costs of having multiple plants. What happens after the initial burst. There is a massive cost created by changing products within factoriesm let alone the long term contract commitments if this is being out sourced.

Basically, you aren't going to open more than one factory when the second factory will be closed 2 to 3 months later. The cost is too great.

This can be proven with the history of almost every cell phone release. How much time was there between the Pre announcement and release? Evo, Epic dame thing.

HP will examine the long term costs of having multiple plants. What happens after the initial burst. There is a massive cost created by changing products within factoriesm let alone the long term contract commitments if this is being out sourced.

Basically, you aren't going to open more than one factory when the second factory will be closed 2 to 3 months later. The cost is too great.

This can be proven with the history of almost every cell phone release. How much time was there between the Pre announcement and release? Evo, Epic dame thing.
    can you please state where you get any of your information from. For one who told you that every smartphone company in the world does not start production until approved by FCC? Who told you that they already were not in production already? Who told you that only one factory will be producing the phone? You have not stated any confermation of your OPINIONS because thats what they are until proven so.

You do realize that HP can ask the FCC to not make the filings public right? Apple did this with the iPhone 4. If I remember right Engadget was one of the first sites to post the FCC filings and this was the day after Apple held their press conference announcing the iPhone 4. Look at the timeline from when Apple announced the phone until the time it was released, it certainly wasn't anywhere near 100 days, so if Apple can do it in less time than that, than way not HP. Again, where are you getting this information?

And you believe that FCC approval for the devices has not be obtained by now?

Remember, these devices have been in design for quite some time - and itis VERY possible for FCC approvals to be concealed from the public, for a fee, as requested by the filing company.

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    100 days may be in the ball park, but 100 phones an hour? That's an awfully low number. There's a plant in Germany that produces 1,300 phones an hour, a Foxconn plant in China that produces 8,300 phones an hour...etc...

I doubt Palm will have a full factory producing its handsets but I highly doubt they will only have 10% of a factory dedicated to producing its handsets either.
    lol.

god darn so much negativity in this forum.

worry about important things in life. Not what factory is being used.. How many phones can be produced per hr and whether or not fcc has been approved

I'm sure if it was approved via tuv its been approved fcc

nope.
    OP - Your production numbers are all wacky. Here are the actual production numbers for Samsung, Motorola and Nokia: "In the first quarter of this year Samsung shipped 34.8 million handsets. That put it behind Motorola Inc., which shipped 45.4 million phones, and Nokia Corp., which shipped 91.1 million phones." Please note that these are quarterly numbers - so look at how many phones can be manufactured in 3 months.
    My source:
    http://pcworld.about.com/od/cellphon...overseas-c.htm
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    c40's never showed up on cert lists... Just in an inventory system.
    I was wondering how long before a thread like this would be created. LMAO!!
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by not-yet-pre View Post
    OP - Your production numbers are all wacky. Here are the actual production numbers for Samsung, Motorola and Nokia: "In the first quarter of this year Samsung shipped 34.8 million handsets. That put it behind Motorola Inc., which shipped 45.4 million phones, and Nokia Corp., which shipped 91.1 million phones." Please note that these are quarterly numbers - so look at how many phones can be manufactured in 3 months.
    The problem with your numbers is that samsung has what 50 different phones?

HPalm will have one.

I am not saying they couldn't produce 5k or 10K phones a day or more. At what cost though? Also, you have to figure the ability to get the components ordered and delivered for the new phones. They aren't making most of phone parts in-factory. So they have to order 250,000 processors, they have to be made and shipped to factory assembling, same thing for screens, cameras, etc.

The supply-chain involved in this process is way more complicated than what people are letting on, or they simply don't understand.

I would bet any sum of money we will not have a phone released in November like everyone is getting excited about.

One question I had...

I thought you could pay FCC to keep new technology sealed for only 30 days?
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    I'm willing to bet that both Palm and HP (as well as every other major manufacturer) have staff that know the FCC guidlines inside and out. Which may be why phones are being manufactured before we see them come through the FCC.
    "I will go in this way, but I'll find my own way out." -DMB

Dear Lord,
    Please grant me the ability to punch people in the face over standard TCP/IP.
    Amen.
    Some of the hand-assemblers do 100 phones per hour each for their portion of the job.

Remember, most of the assembly is automated. It's usually just final assembly that involves connecting cables and screwing pieces together and cursory inspection that is done by hand. QA will only sample a tiny portion (often under 1%) for detailed analysis, and an even tinier percentage for rigorous analysis.

Until you actually see some of these people in action, it's hard to understand just how fast they go.
    wow no faith in anything lol . The phone is ready to be produced at a nunber of manufacturing facilities and waiting on word to start production of them at a rate of 10,000 a day easy !
    That's just my guess .lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    This post is funny. I'm not sure if the OP is trying to throw up a theory or stating fact. In any event, he/she should be aware that most modern factories are quite capable of producing tens of thousands of units in a single 24 hour run. If you consider multiple factories or production lines, you can easily reach launch ready inventories is a couple weeks.

In other words... if HP/Palm decides to launch next month (which I doubt), it has plenty of time to manufacture sufficient quantities of inventory. Inventory isn't going to be the delaying factor.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast