Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast
    I can grab their attention easily in 30 seconds.

what palm needs to do is copy iphone ads. Show one cool feature in each ad.

merit-based ads work. That's what worked so well for the motodroid launch.
    Quote Originally Posted by WrlsFanatic View Post
    1) This was back in August. The Palm deal had closed only a month before that, and they were very likely working on a new phone at that time. That could be the phone(s) that is showing up here. Those were CANNED, and they started over, but these things were probably already in the works and thus got certified.
    I don't think this is possible, certifying canned devices. The certification process isn't exactly what you call cheap, there are lots of parties involved (TUV, testing labs, etc.)
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberprashant View Post
    woohoo!!! We have one of four pre's that's fallen part, been screwed (both halves) back together. It's blind (it's camera doesn't work), it can't speak (front phone speaker doesn't work) and can't sleep (the power button doesn't work). No love from sprint since past 1 year and out of warranty.
    I think I'm going to start following other Pre owners around for a couple of days to find out why they go through phones as they do. I'm on my original Pre from July 2009, and it's still in near-mint condition. I don't baby it, but there are no cracks, no scratches, the USB cover is still present, and the Oreo effect (there from purchase) is minimal.

I think that even if the next phone is made of adamantium, some of you will still find ways to break it.
    Last edited by Martin Blank; 09/27/2010 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Minor spelling correction
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sslow View Post
    You can already do that w/ the Pre itself! use filezilla or winscp, I dont get why you think the t/s needs to have b/t capabilities. That would be redundant and raise the cost of the already overpriced t/s.
    Sorry that just makes no sense to me.

x2 !
    Two problems with Wi-Fi: You need to set it up and fiddle around with IP addresses, and Wi-Fi which is designed for range isn't that fast (54Mbps vs 480Mbps). It's not as seamless as plugging it in and seeing a drive in Windows Explorer.

I can still see a point of adding wireless data connection capabilities, if it's UWB (i.e. Wireless USB) that's as fast or faster than USB. Then putting your phone on the puck would just be like connecting it to USB for both charging and data. UWB's higher frequency also helps reducing the effects of the 2.4GHz ISM band (which is shared by a LOT of stuff, including Microwave ovens)
    Last edited by ToniCipriani; 09/27/2010 at 01:01 PM.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

Quote Originally Posted by Drnycallstar19 View Post
    So NOW 5 days after I'm forced to upgrade because my pre decided to get stuck in the dreaded "Phone Offline" mode theres some juicy official leaked info about new Palm phones .... grrrrrr.... PALM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Craigslist. eBay. Kijiji.

the worst thing to do is copy someone elses ads. It becomes stale.

I saw the new bb torch ad the other day. Honestly all the features they presented is a darn rip off of what the pre had to offer 16 mo. Ago. Problem is now palms in a situation where their innovation now seems like its copying the competition

Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I can grab their attention easily in 30 seconds.

what palm needs to do is copy iphone ads. Show one cool feature in each ad.

merit-based ads work. That's what worked so well for the motodroid launch.
    Quote Originally Posted by guyjin View Post
    I just returned my 3 day old Evo yesterday. I missed WebOS's gestures and ease of use. Android was just to fiddly for me.

C'mon HPalm!
    I agree that Android takes a few more steps and the web/HP OS really is a thing of simplified beauty. Hell I went through 6 palm OS devices because I loved the simplified way of getting information when I needed it (on a mobile device) and saved my PC/Mac for the time intensive projects.

That being said, the EVO's build quality is amazing coming from a Pre (well three actually). I was so tired of dealing with my USB cracks (when I use a touchstone) and failing headphone jacks/power buttons. And the apps that I really wanted to try (slingbox, full dropbox, full USAA, better maps, etc) are really making it a touch decision.

I am ready to stay with Web/HP OS but the next device better be solid and it needs to attract a few better apps (Just MHO)
    Is it any coincidence that Mr. Ski Mask returns at the same time this info leaks?
    I'm telling you, he works for Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Blank View Post
    I think I'm going to start following other Pre owners around for a couple of days to find out why they go through phones as they do. I'm on my original Pre from July 2009, and it's still in near-mind condition. I don't baby it, but there are no cracks, no scratches, the USB cover is still present, and the Oreo effect (there from purchase) is minimal.

I think that even if the next phone is made of adamantium, some of you will still find ways to break it.
    lol now thats the truth im the same as you i got a launch day pre on sprint and its near perfect too. Yeah I baby my phones, but really like you said unless your just slamming the phone around, closing the slider hard, ripping open the usb clip, I dont see why people go through so many pre's, really phones in general. If you look at any poll most people get this misconception that its just the pre and it is so poorly design. To me its not at all, and alot of other top of the line phones have alot of people complaining about build issues so its not just us.
    I agree

my pre is perfect. And believe me I've dropped mine a couple of times real hard.. Expecting this build quality to just vanish

Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    lol now thats the truth im the same as you i got a launch day pre on sprint and its near perfect too. Yeah I baby my phones, but really like you said unless your just slamming the phone around, closing the slider hard, ripping open the usb clip, I dont see why people go through so many pre's, really phones in general. If you look at any poll most people get this misconception that its just the pre and it is so poorly design. To me its not at all, and alot of other top of the line phones have alot of people complaining about build issues so its not just us.
    11 months old and in perfect shape here.
    Still on my june 09 launch day pree and mines falling apart. It's starting to miss letters when I type . Crack by the usb door. Paper under the power button, my center ball and ear piece was silver now peeling to white. The touchstone back now reads ' a m' instead of palm .. But will I upgrade .. Nope waiting for the next phone.
    People drop it, it gets a scratch and have to invent a reason to return it. My only problems where speaker issues. Guess what I work around metal filings. It wasn't the phones fault. I have now a perfect Pre, but the speaker is sealed by clear shipping tape.
    - Jeff
    Palm Pre- and a 32 GB TouchPad.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    why would bluetooth be important is a charger puck? The phone has bluetooth to connect to other bluetooth devices already are you expecting power over bluetoth to send a charge to the phone?
    You're right, bluetooth by itself won't make sense, but...

Bluetooth with an audio output jack combined in the touchstone would be freakin' awesome, especially if they can devise a way to auto-connect.

Or how about bluetooth combined with an FM transmitter? There's your car touchstone.

Or bluetooth combined with a speakerphone built-in the TS (think about a higher quality speaker powered directly from the AC and a noise-cancelling microphone)?
    Last edited by RafRol; 09/27/2010 at 02:14 PM.
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    I had though about an FM transmitter for the car. But that seems to be the only logical reason in my head to have bluetooth in a TS. But we all have different wants/needs.
    - Jeff
    Palm Pre- and a 32 GB TouchPad.
    My original Pre was great in general, and was in perfect condition @ 7 months old, but the speaker just died one day. My replacement (refurb) came in perfect condition, but is just falling apart even though I'm treating it the same.

I will tell you this: if some of you that haven't had problems think the Pre was a sturdy phone, you are just flat-out wrong. Palm did a HORRIBLE job on build quality with this phone. I have never heard of as many hardware problems with any other phone that I have with this one.
    I think you only hear of the problems you don't hear about the many many more that had no problems.
    How long was it between when the Pre Plus popped up on this site and when it was introduced?
    I had my first Pre get stuck in headset mode (purchased July 09), and I returned it. I since have learned the tricks to 'unstick' the headset mode, and probably returned it for no reason. I got a refurb Pre to replace it that failed immediately and was returned within 2 weeks (it would restart constantly and then hang requiring a battery pull to get it back up - and it had nothing to do with a loose battery...it could be sitting there on my desk and reboot for no reason). I have had my current Pre for around 5 months with nary an issue. No oreo, no screen issues, no wonky speaker or headset problems. I do think that the Pre has some hardware quality issues, but I had similar issues out of my Blackberry Bold...frequent lockups and reboots, busted trackball, and a dead spot on the LCD. So I do think it is a matter of just hearing about the problems. Not saying that the Pre does not have more issues than average, but all smartphones (especially 1st generation products) are going to have problems along the way.
    Quote Originally Posted by zmann View Post
    I think you only hear of the problems you don't hear about the many many more that had no problems.
    I'm just saying that we as a community need to DEMAND that build quality take a huge leap forward with the next webOS device.

I mean no disrespect here, but if you honestly believe that there aren't build quality issues with the Pre, then you should seriously evaluate how you take in things you read. Reports are EVERYWHERE of people getting 3 or 4 Pres. The battery compartment was too loose, causing the phone to freeze up if it's closed too hard. The power button is atrocious, and every Pre in the world has had that wear down over time. With just those flaws ALONE it should be obvious that aesthetics were prioritized over build quality.
Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast