Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81314151617181920 LastLast
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    With HP's financial muscle backing them, a multiple carrier, multiple country release is the ONLY way to go. Spread the phone's availability everywhere possible. I, personally, assume that HP will go this route as they have mentioned, on many occasions, their ability to distribute stuff on a global scale. This is what Palm lacked when they launched the Pre.

Had Palm been able to launch the Pre globally, hardware issues not-withstanding, they would have probably sold 5 million+ devices within a couple of months. Instead, they lacked the ability to produce enough to keep Sprint filled during the device's first week of launch, and the Pre Plus was unable to really launch well after that.

With the right launch, they could easily double the ~2.6 million users in just one week. With the right device and availability, they could triple the user base in a month.
    +1 A global launch would put them back on the map with a solid device. We were only speculating earlier whether the new CDMA phone meant VZ or Sprint in the US, as we are all so driven purely by self-interest!
    The simplest solution would be to release it as quad-band UMTS and then Europe/USA/Australasia would all be able to use the same phone (on 3G speeds at least).
    I'm sure HP plans to release the phone globally, but expecting it to be simultaneous, or even close, is probably not realistic. Trying to get all the carriers on the same page would be a cat herding nightmare!
  4.    #344  
    Quote Originally Posted by idontwan2know View Post
    I'm sure HP plans to release the phone globally, but expecting it to be simultaneous, or even close, is probably not realistic. Trying to get all the carriers on the same page would be a cat herding nightmare!
    Releasing an unlocked quad-band UMTS device would instantly solve that issue.

It can be sold on HP's international web sites, and shipped by HP's existing international shipping organisations.

Problem solved. Cut out the carrier overlords.

They can probably do some carrier deals on the side as well, for those customers who wish to remain bound by the chains of carrier lock-in.

-- Rod
    I'm sure the USA would need to be carrier locked (especially for the CDMA device).
  6.    #346  
    Quote Originally Posted by clarkster82 View Post
    I'm sure the USA would need to be carrier locked (especially for the CDMA device).
    Sure, for CDMA, since it's an inherently locked-in technology.

But there's nothing stopping an American citizen buying an unlocked GSM phone and using it on any GSM network in the world (including the USA), is there?

Or have the carriers now taken over the legislature as well?

-- Rod
    Much as it sounds great, breaking from the carriers is not easy and not necessarily the best way to drive sales. Just ask Google.
  8.    #348  
    Quote Originally Posted by idontwan2know View Post
    Much as it sounds great, breaking from the carriers is not easy and not necessarily the best way to drive sales. Just ask Google.
    Indeed - the same consumers that complain about the carriers so much won't take any steps to break the chains ... and so the lock-in persists.

-- Rod
    The old ball and chain
    Pre|central Peacekeepers

"Keeping the smart phone world at peace one PALM at a time"

Me and Dropbox, sitting in a tree. S-Y-N-C-I-N-G. http://db.tt/qetBsiR
    It's just, an independent cellphone? Where would stores put it on the shelves! That's the issue. Probably in some back corner, while all the other cellphones on the carriers keep their up front display.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Indeed - the same consumers that complain about the carriers so much won't take any steps to break the chains ... and so the lock-in persists.

-- Rod
    Well I'm sure the number of those that buy non-subsidized phones vs. subsidized is astonishing (as in very few pay full price for their phones). Not many are willing to justify $500 for a new phone to not have a contract when they have no real quarrels with their carrier.

That's the real hurdle.

Once these new smart phones become more affordable then we may see the tides turn. Take the Nexus One for example, I generally always buy non-subsidized phones as I jump from carrier to carrier quite frequently, but I wasn't willing to pay $500 for a phone online that I wasn't even afforded the ability to hold in my hand before I dropped half a grand.
    What I wonder is, if a iPhone costs $200 in parts to make, what justifies selling it off-contract at $700?
    Mark-up...
    cost of oreo replacements.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen00 View Post
    What I wonder is, if a iPhone costs $200 in parts to make, what justifies selling it off-contract at $700?
    That is the case for every single thing sold on this earth, made cheap, sold at the highest price possible.
    Pre|central Peacekeepers

"Keeping the smart phone world at peace one PALM at a time"

Me and Dropbox, sitting in a tree. S-Y-N-C-I-N-G. http://db.tt/qetBsiR
    Yeah, you would think software engineers, transportation guys, sales reps, and ad department all work for free. Who are they wanting to getting a piece of that $700.
    To explain this, here's some iPhone users taking a group photo:

http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/6...ockofsheep.jpg
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    has anyone check the tuv website lately? is it just me or did they take off the new models that were up? which started this whole thread?
  19.    #359  
    Quote Originally Posted by eggroks View Post
    has anyone check the tuv website lately? is it just me or did they take off the new models that were up? which started this whole thread?
    Confirmed.

TUV has removed all unreleased @palm #webOS models from the p... on Twitpic

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    You would be correct. Searching the site using P100EWW and P101EWW returns results, but P102EWW finds no results. They have been pulled from at least public view, it would seem.

DUN-DUN-DUN!