Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 611121314151617181920 LastLast
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    I think it is funny that w/o knowledge of the phone or to which carrier it will go, we already have people assigning blame! These are people w/o inside knowledge assuming what a sales Rep said in a store is gospel. This just cracks me up.
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Yes, Verizon didn't do much with the Pre launch, but why should they have? The phone wasn't new (it was already on Sprint), wasn't much better - a tiny bump in specs, and it wasn't selling well on Sprint. Why would you pour a lot of dollars into it if you were VZ?

I'm a Sprint customer, and I'm dying to see the new device on Sprint, but given how poorly Sprint supported the original Pre launch, and the fact that they are so much smaller than VZ, I would rather see the new device be a smash on VZ, with a slightly updated/modified version launching on Sprint soon thereafter. Palm needs to make a big splash with whatever new phone they launch next, or it's game over. The place to do that is not on the #3 network, my own personal preferences aside.
    I'm not blaming palm. I'm just sayin I'm not gonna wait for palm to get a product in with sprint when I have a upgrade that's been ready for 5 months. I paid full price for the pre and wanted to wait for it's successor but I don't wanna wait almost a full year with a upgrade ready when I can use it and start letting my next upgrade start collect time.
    Take this with a grain of salt...

I went down to the Bell store at Scarborough Town Centre to check out the status of my power button flat Pre, the guy there told me there's some Palm reps going to the store on this coming Friday. I'm wondering if it has anything with this new phone.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Take this with a grain of salt...

I went down to the Bell store at Scarborough Town Centre to check out the status of my power button flat Pre, the guy there told me there's some Palm reps going to the store on this coming Friday. I'm wondering if it has anything with this new phone.
    Go in on friday as well. See what's up.
    A crippled GPS, expensive rates and totally dedicated towards Android, the new phone being released on Verizon would be a nighmare, the next smartphone needs to released on Sprint.
  7.    #307  
    The next webOS device needs to be released on whatever global carrier/s HP believes will be best for the long term future of webOS.

Insular US-focused carrier parochialism by current Pre/Pixi customers will hopefully be of no consequence compared to the order of magnitude more customers that a HP-backed marketing and distribution push for a new smartphone must achieve to succeed.

Face it - if the opinions of the current webOS users matter, then the game is lost.

It is the 10x to 100x more new users that matter, not the current ones.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    The next webOS device needs to be released on whatever global carrier/s HP believes will be best for the long term future of webOS.

Insular US-focused carrier parochialism by current Pre/Pixi customers will hopefully be of no consequence compared to the order of magnitude more customers that a HP-backed marketing and distribution push for a new smartphone must achieve to succeed.

Face it - if the opinions of the current webOS users matter, then the game is lost.

-- Rod
    One correction; if the opinion of PRECENTRAL webOS users mattered, then the game is lost and has been lost.

The US launch is the most critical and HP needs to launch on one of the two largest US carriers first. HP will spread the love further across diff countries but it starts here in the US.

As far as marketing, $150 million in the US and $100 million abroad is the only way to compete. Will HP provide that large of a marketing budget? I have my doubts but we'll see.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Quote Originally Posted by QuarlesLT View Post
    Looks like the P102EWW is going to Sprint if they're sticking with the same naming schemes!
    Actually, that is just the designator for CDMA, so it could be Sprint or Verizon or both...
    IIIXE>Clie:N710C>N760C>NX60>Treo[600>650>700]>Centro>Pre+>Pre2&Touchpad 32GB
    webOS Themes: star-trek-universe star-trek-future Future Trek for Tpad

My CV: http://visualcv.com/egadgetguy
    the needs of the few matter not to the needs of the many in other words.
  11.    #311  
    Quote Originally Posted by e-gadget-guy View Post
    Actually, that is just the designator for CDMA, so it could be Sprint or Verizon or both...
    It could also be a device destined for mainland China (where they also use CDMA cellular systems), and not released in the US at all.

Speculation about carriers based on this TUV information is pointless.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    The new phone will be 4G, I'm assuming. So wouldn't Sprint be the obvious carrier? Or did I miss Verizon catching up in 4G race?
  13.    #313  
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmHead View Post
    The new phone will be 4G, I'm assuming. So wouldn't Sprint be the obvious carrier? Or did I miss Verizon catching up in 4G race?
    Do you really think that a new 4G webOS phone would have the same UNA (GSM) and EWW (CDMA) model suffixes as the other four existing webOS phones?

Come on people, speculation is one thing, but at least attempt to make it somewhat plausible based on the limited facts that we do actually have at hand ...

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Rod you are a remarkably restrained man.
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    idk but all this speculation one what it is and what carrier is gonna have it is crazy. They need to just tell us already what it is. I mean the gig is up we know it's here so why not just release the info already.
    Quote Originally Posted by drew145022 View Post
    idk but all this speculation one what it is and what carrier is gonna have it is crazy. They need to just tell us already what it is. I mean the gig is up we know it's here so why not just release the info already.
    Unless those phones have been scrapped because HP didn't like what they saw. ( I know I am throwing oil on a fire but I am just playing devils advocate).
  17.    #317  
    Corporations pay Senior Vice Presidents of Marketing six figure salaries to decide when the market gets that information, and the decision really should not be based on whether or not some developer happens to spot some certification records in a public database ...

-- Rod
    Why? Because no one heres know anything definite. For all we know this could be certification for the 3G-based tablet (PalmPad) that is slated for Q1 2011, or something that was certified and has since been canned. It's way too early to even begin to speculate until other facts are known.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post

-- Rod
    which carriers do you personally believe will be best?
    Twitter: adamcarter
    Quote Originally Posted by vtboyarc View Post
    which carriers do you personally believe will be best?
    Given the ability, they should shoot for multiple carriers however they should focus on Verizon being that they're the largest U.S. carrier. More people equates to more possible customers. However, all carriers are entrenched with flagship devices that are selling VERY well:

AT&T - iPhone
    Verizon - Droid
    T-Mobile - HTC G2/Galaxy S
    Sprint - Evo / Epic

I don't think HP Palm would be able to capture the flagship position on Verizon considering how well Android devices are currently selling. AT&T has the iPhone. Sprint is a possibility but rumors (and they're just that, rumors) that the iPhone could see Sprint before Verizon in the very near future; T-Mobile is such a small carrier that it doesn't much matter.

So really, who knows.. it's kind of a crapshoot, no one really know's where the market is going and who the big players will be tomorrow.