Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    I'm sure this has probably been discussed, but I don't have it in me to read 13 pages of posts

Since the original Pre was listed as P101UNA and the new one is P102UNA, is it most likely that this is a Pre Plus kind of upgrade just to buy time until they can release a really new device? Based on the numbering, what are the odds that this is a significant upgrade?
    maybe, though I dont look too much into numbering. My thoughts on it is if its just a minor update it may be that C40 verison they had ready back in july, but to me theres no reason to release anything less explosive at this point if your HP, because it would not benifit the company, or webos in the smartphone business. So ultimatly no, I think if the next gen device isnt ready they just wont release it until it is.
    Originally Posted by YankBoy
    I'm sure this has probably been discussed, but I don't have it in me to read 13 pages of posts

Since the original Pre was listed as P101UNA and the new one is P102UNA, is it most likely that this is a Pre Plus kind of upgrade just to buy time until they can release a really new device? Based on the numbering, what are the odds that this is a significant upgrade?
    (a) Original (Sprint) Pre was P100EWW
    (b) Pre Plus was P101UNA
    (c) As Rod Whitby stated earlier; if it was a Pre Plus for Sprint customers it would be P101EWW

(d) Clearly these are not Pre Plus phones but different phones entirely.
    Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    (b) Pre Plus was P101UNA
    (c) As Rod Whitby stated earlier; if it was a Pre Plus for Sprint customers it would be P101EWW

correct +1
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    How about the original post? Not trying to be a jerk, but the web internals guy (Rod?) has spent a lot of time explaining & updating the original post.
    Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    (b) Pre Plus was P101UNA

Well, he did ask if it could be a "Pre Plus type upgrade". I.e., not the Pre Plus itself, but another minor evolutionary step beyond it (say, more memory, better camera, minor physical form factor changes). A "Pre++", if you will. Think of the evolution from the Treo 700 to the 750 and then the 755, for instance.

Given the small numerical steps between the 100, 101 and 102 model numbers, I'm worried that this may indeed be the case and that the new model will not be hugely different than the existing Pre Plus. But I hope I'm wrong!
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilMonkey View Post
    Well, he did ask if it could be a "Pre Plus type upgrade". I.e., not the Pre Plus itself, but another minor evolutionary step beyond it (say, more memory, better camera, minor physical form factor changes). A "Pre++", if you will. Think of the evolution from the Treo 700 to the 750 and then the 755, for instance.

Given the small numerical steps between the 100, 101 and 102 model numbers, I'm worried that this may indeed be the case and that the new model will not be hugely different than the existing Pre Plus. But I hope I'm wrong!
    if this is the case I will be severely disappointed.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilMonkey View Post

please don't read in to these numbers. car companies use sequential numbers even with a complete redesign... 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, etc.

Let's stop searching for the negative and enjoy the news tidbits when we get them. Really.
    what about HP's meeting today? noon PT? Why isn't PC reporting anything about that?
    I was hopeful for some sort of announcement about a new phone today at that meeting/convention.
    Twitter: adamcarter
    Quote Originally Posted by vtboyarc View Post
    what about HP's meeting today? noon PT? Why isn't PC reporting anything about that?
    I was hopeful for some sort of announcement about a new phone today at that meeting/convention.
    HP Blogs - HP Securities Analyst Meeting: Live updates from t... - The HP Blog Hub

It's very unlikely they will talk about anything interesting...
    its on now. the thing I really want to see is the "innovation showcase" they will have on site after the webcast is finished...

so far it's all just blathering execs, but Bradley will be presenting later in the webcast...
    I think it is funny that Rod has gone thru all the trouble to explain that EWW would be a SPRINT Pre and the headline on Precentral is:

P102EWW Palm Pre 2 coming to Verizon in October?
    Mia Culpa, I thought Verizon had already upgraded to GSM
    Quote Originally Posted by Splitbiker View Post
    Mia Culpa, I thought Verizon had already upgraded to GSM
    that wouldn't be an "upgrade"... they are starting to deploy LTE, but that won't reach critical mass for a while...
    the article posted on precentral is bad publicity for HP/Palm, it make's me feel like giving up on them and I'm sure a lot of other readers feel the same, I wouldn't be surprised if precentral gets contacted by palm...who want's a minor upgrade?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    its on now. the thing I really want to see is the "innovation showcase" they will have on site after the webcast is finished...

so far it's all just blathering execs, but Bradley will be presenting later in the webcast...
    yes!!! I just posted about this! On HP's website, you can see the presentation Todd Bradley - the guy at HP who loves WebOS - is giving today! There are 3 slides about WebOS!
    Go to the link, and click on "Extending the Frontiers of Profitable Growth"

HP Investor Relations - HP Securities Analyst Meeting 2010
    Twitter: adamcarter
    I think it is funny that Rod has gone thru all the trouble to explain that EWW would be a SPRINT Pre and the headline on Precentral is:

rememeber all are still rumors at this point, and our insiders have a Verizon and Sprint device before the EOR. Precentral in the article is only pointing out, what Verizon posted on their roadmap as would be releases of devices. To me that Roadmap does give us some more hope that a device is pitted to still be released in 2010. Though as pointed out even at webosworld that the only low level device at this point that was being tested was the old palm c40, and with those supposed specs they showed, it was hardly a minor update. Though as stated we will have to wait and see, if (as rumored) an annoucment will be made between now to Novemeber.
    IF a Palm Pre 2 is going to be released on VZW in October, shouldn't we expect some kind of announcment in the next week or so?
    Yeah, I had incorrectly assumed that the Verizon Pre 2 would be a 4G (and therefor GSM) device.
  19.    #279  

EWW does not mean Sprint. All CDMA webOS devices so far are EWW, not just Sprint ones.

a => b does not mean b => a

-- Rod
    Yeah, I had incorrectly assumed that the Verizon Pre 2 would be a 4G (and therefor GSM) device.
    GSM is mostly used to refer to the voice technology used by carriers, and in the US it is used by AT&T and T-Mobile. GSM data was 2G at best. GSM carriers use HSPA (High-Speed Packet Access) or HSPA+ to deliver data these days. The 4G technology of choice for GSM carriers is called LTE (Long-Term Evolution).

In other words, GSM ≠ 4G