Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    I just wanted to get everyone's idea of what will be innovative in the phone hardware arena for the coming years. In the last year/few months we've had front facing cameras, dual LED flashes, "retina" displays, massive screens (4+ inches), etc.

I think the next big innovation will be 3D displays. I know many think gimmick when they hear 3D but hear me out. The Nintendo 3DS is using a no glasses display and is going to put a 3D camera in a few million pockets after it's release. Imagine talking to people on your front facing 3d camera, playing games in 3D, viewing pictures in 3D, etc. This is something only a phone can achieve on the portable level. I expect this tech in the iPhone 6 (2 years). Right around the time of full 4G release on most networks. I don't expect anyone besides Apple and maybe Sony (PSP2 Phone[?]) to have 3D screens at first. I hope to see the first 3D phone from Palm but I know it's a stretch.

Triple and quad core processing. It's coming, I don't know what it will mean for software and battery life, but I thought I'd throw it out here.

True wireless charging. The Touchstone is nice, but charging your phone off the cell phone tower you're connecting too would be amazing. Lets face it, battery tech is not keeping up with power needs. Alternatively, hardware is not keeping up with the available power supplies (ie inefficient hardware). Wireless power for a device seems the best method to keep a device mobile and powered. The tech is moving on this but the efficiency is still to low to get more than a few inches from the charger.

Your ideas now, or discuss mine Please, keep software out unless it's related to the hardware. Software has almost an infinite level of innovation given the man hours to produce it.
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3
    Oh, if only Nikola Tesla was around to see such enthusiasm for wireless power...

3D seems incredibly unnecessary, to be quite honest. The only thing I am willing to accept its use for is gaming, but making it a feature on a phone is just adding to an already high cost.

If we're suppose to limit our ideas to things that are practical, I'd say Apple has the right idea (I know, I know - blasphemy, right?) with the iPhone 4's display. It seems like most people that don't actually own an iPhone (and apparently haven't used one) refuse to acknowledge the sheer badassery of the Retina Display's high pixel density. There is no other phone that has such a crisp and clear display currently on the market and it really adds to the overall experience of using the phone.

Don't think I'm some sort of Apple ******, because the opposite is true - I am dedicated to using my Pre until something new from Palm comes out; but to ignore such a beautiful display because of the company that markets it is just ignorant.
    Quote Originally Posted by nbmatt View Post
    ...sheer badassery...
    LOL!!! Love it! *That's* going into the vocab bank.
    I don't find front facing cameras 'innovative'. We had those on dumb phones more than 5 yrs ago.

I also don't even see this 'advantage' with the iphones display. Used it.. Doesn't make a difference to me
    Quote Originally Posted by nbmatt View Post
    3D seems incredibly unnecessary, to be quite honest. The only thing I am willing to accept its use for is gaming, but making it a feature on a phone is just adding to an already high cost.
    I can see plenty of uses in regular apps for it, particularly those that involve ordered objects such as file system browsers. Mix it with a 3D camera setup, and gestures in front of the camera (instead of greasing up the screen) add all manner of new interactions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Blank View Post
    I can see plenty of uses in regular apps for it, particularly those that involve ordered objects such as file system browsers. Mix it with a 3D camera setup, and gestures in front of the camera (instead of greasing up the screen) add all manner of new interactions.
    Oooh, that's a nice idea. Technology for this is mostly available, but there are some enormous challenges in getting it to run on something like a phone. Maybe if power weren't an issue...

...which brings me to wireless power. The problem with doing it at a distance is R^2. The power received is proportional to the power transmitted divided by the square of the distance between the receiver and transmitter (it's either the square or the cube of the distance, I can't recall which). The physics of the problem make this pretty impractical, unless the energy is directed at the receiver (a very narrow beam such as a laser would lose much less power over a distance) or the distance is very small. To direct energy from a cell tower to all the people who might need it would be challenging indeed, but if every phone had a gps, and the power were delivered by electronically steered arrays (such as what is used in modern radar systems), then maybe it could work. Or you could imagine a device that you plug into your electrical socket at home that might work over say 20 feet. Put one in every room of your house, and you have power whenever you're home. I think such a device could be made, but it would waste a lot of power, so it would probably not be commercially feasible. But that's just my opinion.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by Honis View Post
    I don't expect anyone besides Apple and maybe Sony (PSP2 Phone[?]) to have 3D screens at first. I hope to see the first 3D phone from Palm but I know it's a stretch.
    Check out this video. It is a demo of Labyrinth 2 for iPad. The 3D effect is nothing short of astonishing. I own the app, and can tell you that you forget you are looking at a trick of light and are fooled into believing you are manipulating real object.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    ...which brings me to wireless power.
    I don't get where you're going with this, unless it was just a random tangent, or if you're concerned over the power draw of a 3D screen. The power draw doesn't have to be terribly huge, and I wasn't factoring it into my idea, anyway. It may be 20 years yet before it becomes practical; I was just saying that it could be used for that idea, and probably dozens of others that I can't think of right now.
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Blank View Post
    I don't get where you're going with this, unless it was just a random tangent, or if you're concerned over the power draw of a 3D screen. The power draw doesn't have to be terribly huge, and I wasn't factoring it into my idea, anyway. It may be 20 years yet before it becomes practical; I was just saying that it could be used for that idea, and probably dozens of others that I can't think of right now.
    Technically speaking the power draw for a 3D screen wouldn't be the screen itself, but the processing needed to figure out what gets displayed on 2 screens. According to some stuff I read about the PS3 3D rendering, it can be anywhere from a 30% to 50% increase processing over 1 screen. (Don't ask me for sources I forget where). On my PC its an easy 50% increase for everything I play (3D TV and iZ3D driver for ATI).

For wireless power, the antenna doesn't need to be from the tower. Could be beamed from the concrete at busy walking intersections with waiting pedestrians (subway stations, street crossings, etc.). The iStandHereForPowerPad as it were. The real problem is, how do you bill it. It's wireless power being blasted as an unencryptable magnetic field.
    http://farm1.static.flickr.com/177/4...c884f46406.jpg
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3
    Are you ready for the FUTURE!?!?!?!

I'll tell you what -I- see through the mists of time:

Imagine if you will, a phone that fits in your pocket just 5-10 years from today. It's got a screen somewhere in the size range comparable to the current Iphone (I believe the giant screen phones will be a bit of a niche market - a big one, but still not completely mainstream). This phone has an advanced low power multi core processor and significant battery life for all-day power use, along with a substantial internal storage capacity that uses minimal battery life thanks to new advances in memristor technology.

Nothing too revolutionary here, except that this phone has completely replaced the PC and laptop.

Sit down, plop the phone down on something similar to a touchstone on your desk and your flatscreen monitor instantly comes to life with a fullscreen version of the phone's UI. Grab your comfortable and wireless keyboard and mouse and check your e-mail, then decide to get started on your term paper. A few grueling hours later you're almost finished with the paper and decide to watch some TV - letting it stream in HD straight from futureflix. Halfway through you are really enjoying this particular show and decide to use futuretorrent to download the new season that hasn't hit futureflix yet. It begins downloading in the background at high speed.

Suddenly the phone rings. Pause the movie and pick up the call, your screen suddenly turning into a videophone utilizing your cellphone's built-in forward facing camera that's already pointing at you thanks to the phone's wireless "dock" on your desk.

Finish up with the call and it's time to play a little Future Warfare 6 on your FutureBox 720. No need to be paying a cable company for Internet, as the phone already has it built in and is delivering obscenely fast connection to every networked device in your home. Grab your FutureBox 720 controller and do some gaming on your 3D bigscreen. Meanwhile, your bittorrent download has finished and you're ready to watch an entire season of the newest TV show - but first, how about some coffee and finishing that term paper!

Get up and go to the local coffeehouse, grab your slimline "laptop" on your way out the door. It's incredibly light because it has virtually no internal components - only needing a battery, a nice sized touchscreen screen, wireless receiver, and keyboard. Sit down on a comfortable couch and enjoy your latte while the phone in your pocket delivers a full wireless laptop experience instantly to your slimline case. Put the finishing touches on that paper you were working on earlier then tap print, sending it to the printer sitting on your desk at home.

Time to surf the net! Spin the screen around and flip it down over the slimline keyboard and the device becomes a thin ultralight touchpad. Now you're surfing the net in style when a notification pops up to let you know one of your futurebook friends is heading your way. Tap the notification and the futuremap swoops into view, Amanda is right outside and heading this way - it even senses the location and prompts you with her preferred drink, an iced mocha.

She enters the coffeeshop and you wave her over, offering up the iced mocha you ordered because you just happened to remember she liked it (you're so thoughtful). She decides to have your babies. You pull her in close on your newly christened "loveseat", take the phone out of your pocket, and take a quick snapshot - an instant 10 megapixel memory tagged with names time and location sitting in your online album. Maybe one day you'll show it to your kids. It's getting late and you decide this little impromptu date should go a bit further. You whip the phone out and a few taps later your reading a review of a quiet little jazz club nearby that would be perfect for dinner and some drinks.

The night goes wonderfully and she asks you to take her back to "her place" as you jump in the car. The phone slides into it's dock on the dashboard and the onscreen GPS guides you there. As you both settle in to a night of bliss, you turn the phone's ringer to vibrate and smile.

The future is a beautiful place.
    Last edited by ncinerate; 09/25/2010 at 07:18 PM.
    I think I'm gonna like the future.

I always thougt we'd have flying cars by now wen I'm a kid. I'm a little disappointed, but as long as I can have a robot exoskeleton, and an internet connection in my brain before death, I'll be cool.

the vision above will tide me over until then.
    This is exacty where I see the market going for future mobile devices. Sure, mobile will never fully replace a desktop in every market because some industries will always demand the greatest avalable tech,but with 8-core arm processors possible in a couple years this could be reality sooner than you may think.
    True 32-bit color displays...