Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    All you WebOS 2.0 haters apparently have zero vision. Even if what they have already announced is all that is coming (it's not) it would still be a great upgrade worthy of 2.0.

You just don't understand the ramifications of all these new features. Things like opening up synergy and 'just type' to developers have limitless applications that other platforms will not be able emulate because it is required to be supported by the core OS. iPhone users will not have an app for that and android users will need to hack things like 'Just type' and it will not be as robust or developer supported as it will be on WebOS.

Imagine Updating facebook status or 4squre, or twitter from 'Just type' without ever opening an application. Imagine doing that while you are playing Angry Birds 2.

This off the top of my head things you could do with 'Just type' commands:
    Send IM
    Send SMS
    Update social network status
    Search in specific apps on the phone
    Search google calendar
    Search app catalog
    Install items from app catalog
    Write a quick memo
    Write a task
    Add an appointment
    take a quick picture with out opening the camera app
    search preware feeds
    record a voice memo

MSN messenger will definitely be added to IM now that synergy is open. We can, also get a more legit facebook chat and whatever else you can imagine. No hacks involved.

We won;t be as dependent on facebook anymore. New companies like Dysphoria will be able to make a synergy plug in to sync contacts with them too.

And then there is a massive speed boost WebOS 2.0 will get with the Javascript upgrade.

Use your imagination. This new features are amazing.
    The thing is, potential is just that...potential.

A lot of what you mention up there is already in Android. Their widgets already allow you to SMS, FB, Twitter, write memos and a lot more without opening full apps. Their Google voice actions allow you to do the same, but without even "just type"-ing.

Windows Phone 7 is integrating a lot of this stuff into their "hub" methodology.

Windows Phone 7 will beat WebOS 2.0 to market, and Android is already growing exponentially beyond our user base. And neither of those platforms even needs a "speed boost" as their current devices boot up and open apps up far quicker than WebOS does.

It's not a matter of being a "WebOS 2.0 hater", which is a ridiculous concept on its face. It's just being realistic about the impact of "potential". WebOS has been filled with potential from day one. And much of it is still unfulfilled and will be even after 2.0.

Many apps - even the native ones like Mail - are locked into one orientation. Very few use the gesture area for anything other than a back button. Relatively few use the notification area. If developers aren't taking advantage of these rather basic options, who's to say that they're going to do a 180 and make dazzlingly distinctive usage of WebOS 2.0?
    "Relatively few use the notification area"

Huh? Plz name a few apps that you think should use the notification area and don't
    Quote Originally Posted by kill_Dano View Post
    This new features are amazing.
    no offense but nothing you mentioned would make me buy one phone over another. i don't even have any desire to do most of that stuff. Like i don't go searching around my for stuff in my phone. searching on my phone is not something i ever thought about when buying a phone. my guess is most people will say meh to that too.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    no offense but nothing you mentioned would make me buy one phone over another. i don't even have any desire to do most of that stuff. Like i don't go searching around my for stuff in my phone. searching on my phone is not something i ever thought about when buying a phone. my guess is most people will say meh to that too.
    You don't search your phone? So you just scroll through your contacts to call someone? hahah Trust me a lot of people like to search their phone. If you really don't then you have bigger issues than webOS2.0 not meeting your warped expectations.
    Universal search is my preferred method for accessing resources on the phone. I agree that it becomes amazing once it can access all or most resources and go further by actually manipulating them. The phone then becomes an agent to satisfy all my needs with a single interface point. A lot of people are going to see it that way. Do you want something? Let webOS get it for you, make it happen for you, and make you happy.
    big universal search fan here too. and with the command line patch, it's so much better. any memo or task i write is always from USCL these days. i'm really looking forward to the Just Type. especially the level of intergration that will be possible with apps. no more typing .imdb "movie name" and having it pull up the web page (which is still quicker than my friend finding the app on his evo, opening it, then typing the search criteria.

lol, probably a bad example, since we don't evern have an official IMDB app, but you get what i mean.

feel free to point out how lame it is that we don't have certain apps, everyone...
    "Relatively few use the notification area"

Huh? Plz name a few apps that you think should use the notification area and don't
    Govnah - would love to get a notification when the CPU gets reset to default 500 because of temperature or charging or whatever.
    Slacker - would love the same controls Pandora uses
    Sprint Nav - would love to see upcoming turns in that area so I wouldn't have to keep the volume up when multitasking
    Google Maps - anything, really...

Would love to see games utilize it. I mean, the potential is there all over the place for more than just weather or stocks or new tweets or FB posts.
    Quote Originally Posted by iTz Nicholas72 View Post
    Just because everyone else is making a thread about what they think is going to happen I want to be cool to and make my own.

Ok here we go...

HP doesn't care if it looses the current webOS user community because we are such a small percent compared to the entire spectrum of phones and not to mention Android and iOS are gaining thousands daily while webOS has shown no growth.

I may be the only person but unless the preview of webOS2.0 was not showing 90% of the features I'm pretty disappointed in it. *Flamesuit ON*

So there you go my prediction of what is going to happen as an unhappy webOS user.
    Well, i like my pre, and am happy with the hardware. If webos 2.0 can add a little customization and the use of the GPU for the OS i'll be happy. It looks promising already.
    You don't search your phone? So you just scroll through your contacts to call someone? hahah Trust me a lot of people like to search their phone. If you really don't then you have bigger issues than webOS2.0 not meeting your warped expectations.
    well let me be specific. The only thing search for is for a contact but that doesn't help your claim that i should be wowed by the new features since the phone already does what you described, search for a contact name. The stuff you mentioned, those other searches, i've never wanted to do. nobody said there is no merit to added search capability merely that they have no wow.

lots of people may like it, A hell of a lot more people care about making video calls, a good music player, being able to sync podcasts. The people you're talking about are a small fraction of cell phone consumers.

You call my expectations warped? my expectations are what most people expect, no lag, Hardware that doesn't break in 3 months, good sync, good music player, good video player, codec support, hd video, video calls, better apps, better gmail support, a youtube app that let's you access your accounts. Hardly warped. What i don't do is walk into a verizon store and go, "Uh yeah Verizon guy, what phone as c++ api for blah blah blah? What phone is the best for searching random crap on my phone. Regular people don't do that. I'm not saying nobody is gonna be wowed by that. i"m saying most people won't be wowed by it. I'm trying to say what is needed to compete at the top of the smartphone market and you're telling me what they have done is just fine. I'm just gonna disagree with you and agree with the original post. I kinda hope 2.0 comes out with nothing more then what's been described so far just so we can see if that alone impresses the cell phone market. Luckily i don't think HP is stupid enough to think those changes are remotely enough.
    Last edited by blackmagic01; 09/26/2010 at 10:58 PM.
    Sorry I typed this on my Pre+ and as we all know the keyboard doesn't like to repeat the same letter. First I got too many leters and now it's skipping the double when I need it.

Also Verizon is one reason I'm not liking my Pre it's also the unreliable hardware and slow speed even with UK 1ghz. Verizon cripples the GPS but why does my phone get uncomfortably hot when using data for over 15min, speakers die with normal use, keyboard issues, luna restarts, getting signed out of my Palm Profile, and many more. It isn't just Verizons fault...

I'm not trying to just bash the Pre orwebOS some people are lucky and don't have many issues but naerly every user thinks HP cares about releasing something soon because they care about the current customers. Well IMO they don't because losing all current users wouldn't fo much considering how small the percentage is.
    Funny, never had a single one of these issues. I just think there is a possibility that your being less then completely honest.
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 09/27/2010 at 10:15 AM. Reason: No need to call people liars - we don't need a flame war
    that is weird, the latest stats show iOS and BB lost shares, Droid gained with the 80 phones they launched that week. Palm stayed the same, 4.9% with NO NEW hardware in 16 months.
    I may be the only person but unless the preview of webOS2.0 was not showing 90% of the features I'm pretty disappointed in it.
    Oh, and just for the record, if you go to Palm's website, they make it pretty clear that what they have revealed about WebOS 2.0 is just the tip of the iceberg.

It still remains to be seen if what they've been working on will actually attract developers, but I'm pretty confident that they will come up with something substantial to differentiate themselves from the competition.
    I agree. They don't need us in the long run. But, I don't think they are PURPOSELY making us angry. If we truly love Palm and want to see them succeed, we have to give them time to make a good product. I can easily keep my pre until next summer. Especially with webOS 2.0. So, go enjoy your droid, but don't come running back here all angry when you realize is takes 4 months to get a software update that the Nexus One has. There are pros and cons everywhere.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmid7y View Post
    I agree. They don't need us in the long run. But, I don't think they are PURPOSELY making us angry. If we truly love Palm and want to see them succeed, we have to give them time to make a good product.
    Agree. Can you imagine the noise on here if they put out an inferior product?
    Quote Originally Posted by IGNTNUNLMTD View Post
    Funny, never had a single one of these issues. I just think there is a possibility that your being less then completely honest.
    i've definitely had keyboard issues with the keys either not responding or deleting keys.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Amos View Post
    that is weird, the latest stats show iOS and BB lost shares, Droid gained with the 80 phones they launched that week. Palm stayed the same, 4.9% with NO NEW hardware in 16 months.
    it's to be expected. Android is releasing many many phones on several carriers. While Rimm has declining customer satisfaction, and apple has only one product on one carrier in the U.S. plus iphone 4 hasn't launched yet in many parts of the world.

I think the Apple share vs Android will be interesting going forward. But i think the big thing is i think there are a lot of people that fully know Apple could make a material increase in market share if it were to release an iphone on verizon, sprint and Tmobile. People often point to polls that suggest that a lot of people say on verizon would switch phones if an iphone was available. But the other thing is the phone business for apple is extremely profitable and is more then hardware, it also includes app downloads, and sales of media to iphones. The other thing from a phone makers perspective is several are increasing customers regardless of whether their market share is declining cause there are just more customers. As for Palm i'd count it as a small victory that they aren't losing share cause if i was a betting man that's what i'd have expected.
    Last edited by blackmagic01; 09/27/2010 at 11:51 PM.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123