Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 55
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    No, apparently it's in beta.
    importantly, its the PDK and not the actual OS that is in a beta release. that is a different animal.

    from a users perspective, the view of the future we get from a beta PDK is similar to an alpha build of the software, insofar as you cannot really judge what it will actually be when the final build hits.


    I think 90% more features arent needed, but certainly 1) parity with the market, especially in API's and 2) one or two additional killer functions besides the innovations we already see in the SDK are needed to make a splash.

    but the software isn't really the thing that will make the splash. unquestionably great hardware will. especially if they release a full and integrated product range. like dual booting laptops, touchscreen all in one desktops which also run webOS. smartphones, tablets, and yes a printer, that can all talk together easily, a home office with webOS at the center would be a splash.


    I think its pretty clear that is what HP intends to do here. they are buying services and companies to make a whole integrated line of products that take care of all your work/entertainment needs.

    I see alot of HP printers and tablets in the medical field, using webOS to tie them all together and selling that to hospitals as they upgrade, is attractive from where i sit, especially if they could ever somehow use webos as a layer in windows.

    now that would be far out, in alot of ways.
    There are four lights.
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by iTz Nicholas72 View Post
    not trying to just bash the Pre orwebOS some people are lucky and don't have many issues but naerly every user thinks HP cares about releasing something soon because they care about the current customers. Well IMO they don't because losing all current users wouldn't fo much considering how small the percentage is.
    I completely agree with you here. I think they are thinking way down the road, and that in the grand scheme of things it will make much more sense to just let us all fall off --hopefully to be won back with amazing harware/software combo later on-- and take the time to get it right.
  3. #23  
    Good work op
  4. elslunko's Avatar
    Posts
    95 Posts
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    #24  
    I don't understand your logic or business sense. I don't think losing 1 to 2 million users in a few months would be a good thing for any company.
  5. #25  
    Just look at the OP's post history to get an idea what he is all about.


    And it makes perfect business sense to completely wipe out a current user base of millions. I hope you aren't really in IT because you know jack squat about tech.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by iTz Nicholas72 View Post
    HP doesn't care if it looses the current webOS user community because we are such a small percent

    I may be the only person but unless the preview of webOS2.0 was not showing 90% of the features I'm pretty disappointed in it. *Flamesuit ON*
    Agree on both points. On not caring I'm sure they care but not much at all. And they shouldn't cause they aren't nearly enough. 3 Million users a major phone maker get's that in two months of a new product. They get it a couple times over in each global market. And a lot of people, maybe 80% on precentral are waging an anti apple war but the reality is Palm was trying to lure apple customers by being just like apple. And if the top dog is apple you're gonna have to emulate them cause what they offer most customers want. And if doing that means they lose 3 million current customers but gain 30 million they won't care in the slightest. And from what i read all over most of the people at least on here will by a palm phone no matter what they put out so losing them all isn't really gonna happen.

    as for 2.0. It's not close to impressing me. Of the things that concern me and have basically since launch they haven't even touched them. Which is why i'm not really disappointed. I didn't expect them to. The new features are bland and boring and have zero wow.
    Last edited by blackmagic01; 09/25/2010 at 03:41 AM.
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    The 2.0 developer's release is alpha code now?
    Im only calling it "alpha" because its only available to a select few in the Early Access program. General developer community does not have access to the SDK.
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike5 View Post
    Change it in for a new Pre +. I have the original Sprint Pre & have not had a SINGLE issue you mentioned. Not one. Do you pay for insurance? My speakers are fine. My keyboard is fine, I have never signed out of my Palm Profile, no luna restarts unless I do them based on adding a home brew app. None of the above.
    I have two pres and none of those issues. U got a bad one. That happens to all phone lines.

    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    No, apparently it's in beta.
    Yes, it's beta, and the PDK news that C/C++ plugins sounds cool. Also, HTML5! that's what I'm looking forward to.


    IIIXE>Clie:N710C>N760C>NX60>Treo[600>650>700]>Centro>Pre+>Pre2&Touchpad 32GB
    webOS Themes: star-trek-universe star-trek-future Future Trek for Tpad

    My CV: http://visualcv.com/egadgetguy
  9. delta7's Avatar
    Posts
    196 Posts
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    #29  
    How about a OS that just works, no freeze ups, battery pulls, task managers, reboots or etc...

    Looks pretty modern instead of some ancient blackberry crap, comes integrated with the music popukar music store in the world, plays pretty good videos.

    also with a great virtual keyboard that's pretty accurate and about 200,000 total apps made and growing more everyday.

    You think it's just for sheep? You wanna open up google maps on your pre and count how fast it takes to load?

    drop your pre 3 feet from ground distance and I'll drop the iphone and we will see who is standing sfterwards.


    Quote Originally Posted by kjb86 View Post
    the avg consumer doesn't give a rats Equus africanus asinus what the device has.

    the iphone is successful and apple is successful simply because apple gets it. The iphone is a fashion trend.. People are sheep and follow trends.. Its as simple as that. That's why they get away with having mediocre os's and what not.
  10. delta7's Avatar
    Posts
    196 Posts
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    #30  
    I agree with the notion that HP doesn't care, they're waiting until it's right before they strike but when they launch it's gonna be a serious uphill battle with WP7, android and webos all pretty much having the same plan to win.

    As for 2.0 if it doesn't have widgets, and some drastic improvements not many people will care. The card stack view is just eye candy, palm needs to focus on functionality.
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by delta7 View Post
    drop your pre 3 feet from ground distance and I'll drop the iphone and we will see who is standing sfterwards.
    i'll take you on this one! can we do four feet? i've dropped my pre many, many, many times, including a couple of times from higher than my head onto concrete. and all that happened was scratches. i've had friends knock their iPhones off of their desk and break the screen.
  12. delta7's Avatar
    Posts
    196 Posts
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    #32  
    the point I'm making is the iphone sells cuz it's a very good device that fits alot of people needs. Making a phone with a glass screen? That might not be such a wise idea.
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by delta7 View Post
    the point I'm making is the iphone sells cuz it's a very good device that fits alot of people needs. Making a phone with a glass screen? That might not be such a wise idea.
    gotcha. i thought for sure that part of it had to do with which one could survive a drop, and figured i'd grab the easy win for Pre, lol.

    the glass screen does seem like a bad idea to me (given that phones get dropped), but i'm definitely the minority. i've never heard anyone else really say they like plastic. mostly due to the scratches, i believe.
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by delta7 View Post
    How about a OS that just works, no freeze ups, battery pulls, task managers, reboots or etc...

    Looks pretty modern instead of some ancient blackberry crap, comes integrated with the music popukar music store in the world, plays pretty good videos.

    also with a great virtual keyboard that's pretty accurate and about 200,000 total apps made and growing more everyday.

    You think it's just for sheep? You wanna open up google maps on your pre and count how fast it takes to load?

    drop your pre 3 feet from ground distance and I'll drop the iphone and we will see who is standing sfterwards.
    My os works fine. I have never had to do a battery pull, no reboots, not one freeze

    my google maps loads quite quickly, not long enough to bother me quite frankly

    i've also dropped my pre quite a few times.. sometimes it was even through out of my hands.. it's still working and going strong

    if you praise the iphone that much, go get an iphone.. it's as simple as that.
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by e-gadget-guy View Post
    Yes, it's beta, and the PDK news that C/C++ plugins sounds cool. Also, HTML5! that's what I'm looking forward to.


    this is pretty much my point. Its great that you look forward to this but i'd guess most people have no clue what that stuff is. people don't go into the Verizon store going, "So which phone uses c/c+++ plugins?" honestly i'm not even sure i used the term right cause i don't actually know what they are so forgive me but you get my point. And people tend not to know what html5 is.

    What they say is can i watch youtube. How it does is irrellevant. So if those are the 2.0 features few people are gonna to cartwheels over it. Like what kinda commercial would you have for that? I don't think consumers would be receptive to that nearly as much as they would say the facetime baby birthing iphone ad. Cause that ad shows great function. shows what you can do with the phone. I also think things like programming languages and stacks and stuff are kinda hard to market. AT least stacks is visual.

    Quote Originally Posted by delta7 View Post
    palm needs to focus on functionality.
    I think in many cases this is on point. One of palmcast hosts (or maybe it was an email) a long time ago said he gave the early pre to, i think, his daughter and she said, "where do i get facebook." When they couldn't the daughter just handed the phone back and went back to the blackberry. I think most people are like that. It's about function. I think that is why apps are so important cause they expand function. if i have an etrade app i can trade stocks on the fly where as if i don't it's an utter pain in the rectum. And function expands with every decent app. But i think they need to address the whole package from hardware, software, apps, desktop software, etc to increase the function not just to bring it up to par with the market but to exceed the market.

    But deep down i actually don't think palm got the point. That's why the first phone has crappy music player and video features, a camera with some features, why they tried to piggy back off itunes. Why they had no facebook app at launch. I think they didn't get that these were important.
    Last edited by blackmagic01; 09/25/2010 at 01:58 PM.
  16. #36  
    Further to my previous post, you think the iPhone didn't have these issues when they had their first gen device? They did

    the iPhone has had 4 years + all the years of development to mature and be functional. Like any first gen product, you pay the price for being a 'beta' tester

    Then you tack on all the financial difficulties Palm had and how they had to rush to even get a product on the market so they could keep their name, it all adds up

    Everyone should be thankful for what Palm has actually done so HP could see the potential for future development and could successfully buy them out.

    If it wasn't for that, we wouldn't have the webOS we truly love at this moment.
  17. #37  
    All you WebOS 2.0 haters apparently have zero vision. Even if what they have already announced is all that is coming (it's not) it would still be a great upgrade worthy of 2.0.

    You just don't understand the ramifications of all these new features. Things like opening up synergy and 'just type' to developers have limitless applications that other platforms will not be able emulate because it is required to be supported by the core OS. iPhone users will not have an app for that and android users will need to hack things like 'Just type' and it will not be as robust or developer supported as it will be on WebOS.

    Imagine Updating facebook status or 4squre, or twitter from 'Just type' without ever opening an application. Imagine doing that while you are playing Angry Birds 2.

    This off the top of my head things you could do with 'Just type' commands:
    Send IM
    Send SMS
    Update social network status
    Search in specific apps on the phone
    Search google calendar
    Search app catalog
    Install items from app catalog
    Write a quick memo
    Write a task
    Add an appointment
    take a quick picture with out opening the camera app
    search preware feeds
    record a voice memo

    MSN messenger will definitely be added to IM now that synergy is open. We can, also get a more legit facebook chat and whatever else you can imagine. No hacks involved.

    We won;t be as dependent on facebook anymore. New companies like Dysphoria will be able to make a synergy plug in to sync contacts with them too.

    And then there is a massive speed boost WebOS 2.0 will get with the Javascript upgrade.

    Use your imagination. This new features are amazing.
  18. #38  
    Seriously? Adding what is essentially command line execution to WebOS is one of the most uninteresting system-selling features I can think of.

    There's a reason most Mac users use Finder rather than QuickSilver.
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by kjb86 View Post
    if you praise the iphone that much, go get an iphone.. it's as simple as that.
    seems foolish. So if a customer has a problem with a device the response from HP should be to go buy a competitor. That's just foolish. The response should be to build a product that exceeds the competition. If they have that kind of attitude of not addressing real issues i can see why they've only got like 3 million units sold, a stock that tanked so bad they had to sell the company, and from what i've seen disappointing sales on Verizon and even it wasn't a savior for sprint.
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by kill_Dano View Post
    All you WebOS 2.0 haters apparently have zero vision. Even if what they have already announced is all that is coming (it's not) it would still be a great upgrade worthy of 2.0.

    You just don't understand the ramifications of all these new features. Things like opening up synergy and 'just type' to developers have limitless applications that other platforms will not be able emulate because it is required to be supported by the core OS. iPhone users will not have an app for that and android users will need to hack things like 'Just type' and it will not be as robust or developer supported as it will be on WebOS.

    Imagine Updating facebook status or 4squre, or twitter from 'Just type' without ever opening an application. Imagine doing that while you are playing Angry Birds 2.

    This off the top of my head things you could do with 'Just type' commands:
    Send IM
    Send SMS
    Update social network status
    Search in specific apps on the phone
    Search google calendar
    Search app catalog
    Install items from app catalog
    Write a quick memo
    Write a task
    Add an appointment
    take a quick picture with out opening the camera app
    search preware feeds
    record a voice memo

    MSN messenger will definitely be added to IM now that synergy is open. We can, also get a more legit facebook chat and whatever else you can imagine. No hacks involved.

    We won;t be as dependent on facebook anymore. New companies like Dysphoria will be able to make a synergy plug in to sync contacts with them too.

    And then there is a massive speed boost WebOS 2.0 will get with the Javascript upgrade.

    Use your imagination. This new features are amazing.
    The thing is, potential is just that...potential.

    A lot of what you mention up there is already in Android. Their widgets already allow you to SMS, FB, Twitter, write memos and a lot more without opening full apps. Their Google voice actions allow you to do the same, but without even "just type"-ing.

    Windows Phone 7 is integrating a lot of this stuff into their "hub" methodology.

    Windows Phone 7 will beat WebOS 2.0 to market, and Android is already growing exponentially beyond our user base. And neither of those platforms even needs a "speed boost" as their current devices boot up and open apps up far quicker than WebOS does.

    It's not a matter of being a "WebOS 2.0 hater", which is a ridiculous concept on its face. It's just being realistic about the impact of "potential". WebOS has been filled with potential from day one. And much of it is still unfulfilled and will be even after 2.0.

    Many apps - even the native ones like Mail - are locked into one orientation. Very few use the gesture area for anything other than a back button. Relatively few use the notification area. If developers aren't taking advantage of these rather basic options, who's to say that they're going to do a 180 and make dazzlingly distinctive usage of WebOS 2.0?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions