1.    #1  
    Sounds perfect!

Marvell launches triple-core ARM chip | THINQ.co.uk
    Marvell has...a new triple-core chip called the Armada 628. The system-on-chip design, based on ARM's v7 MP series, features two dedicated 1.5GHz processing cores plus a third 624MHz core in a single application processor.

While two of the cores are a pretty standard SMP setup, as seen in other dual-core ARM implementations, the third is a standalone processor designed for ultra-low-power draw. The idea behind such a design is that when the system is idle, or only running a low-performance application on a single thread, it can shut off the dual-core portion and save oodles of power."
    Just like govnah but with actual CORES!
    Nope. The article says that it's "available for sampling" -- meaning that it is still months (or longer) away from production capability.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Blank View Post
    Nope. The article says that it's "available for sampling" -- meaning that it is still months (or longer) away from production capability.
    LOL, I didn't mean it was actually going to be used in the next webOS device! I meant, wouldn't this be a perfect match for a new webOS device!
    I thought Marvell was pretty much it for RIM/Blackberry. If anyone is getting new chips from them, it'd likely be them. Why would WebOS want to split away from the TI OMAP family? Those chips and their overclockability have been a godsend.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I thought Marvell was pretty much it for RIM/Blackberry. If anyone is getting new chips from them, it'd likely be them. Why would WebOS want to split away from the TI OMAP family? Those chips and their overclockability have been a godsend.
    Sure but the battery life has sucked on those chips.
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    Not the chip's fault. The N900, iPhone 3GS, and Droid all have much better battery life on the same chip. Apparently, the upgraded chip in the Droid X/2 has even better battery life. Motorola rates the Droid 2's talk time at 9.6 hours - a 50 percent improvement over the original, and way, way beyond the Palm Pre. Some Pre phones barely last 9 hours with light usage...period.
    Marvell says:

"ARMADA 628 supports RIM OS, Android™, Linux, Windows Mobile, and full Adobe Flash."

And guess what...webOS actually runs on Linux. So, here we (could) go!
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    This is an amazing chip and I would say this is about all anyone needs in a smartphone. It's graphics power is also just as amazing, more than double that of the powerVR sgx-540. I doubt this one will come to market any time soon and hp is not a partner, but you never really know till it's in something.

Pretty slick chip all in all, I already want one maybe after my omap4 powered pre (if it ever comes).
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Blank View Post
    Perfect, because we won't see a new WebOS phone for months as well
    To put it into scale, the OMAP4 was available for sampling from TI around Q2 2009.
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    Small batteries and power-hungry code are the reason webOS devices' battery life sucks.