Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23
  1.    #1  
    ok so ive just been "surfin" the web and ive come across stories like the HD7 WP7 not only being pictured in a few pics but being speced, to the CEO of Sony Ericcson promising BIG surprises in the coming months, to even more confirmation of a CDMA version of the iPhone being slated to begin production in early december of 2 million units... reason for starting this thread is that, do u think that maybe HPalm has its own inside sources aware of all of these announcements, and is awaiting all of the big announcements to take place so that they can jump in to follow up the rear with their own HUGE announcement casting a shadow(or at least trying to cast a shadow) over all of the other competition? just an idea :/
  2. susanoo26's Avatar
    Posts
    69 Posts
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    #2  
    nah, I don't think HPalm is really into competing in the cell phone market. They are only interested in tablets working with crappy printers. I just get the feeling that when they finally get around to releasing a phone (I've said March 2011) that they will be "ipaqalicious". lol
  3. #3  
    Sorry, but no. If anything, they'd want to beat these monsters to market while there is no CDMA iPhone or Windows Phone 7 on ATT or whatever.
  4. AZ8
    AZ8 is offline
    AZ8's Avatar
    Posts
    90 Posts
    #4  
    You can't win the Daytona 500 when you're 3 laps down.........

    HPalm needs to get something out there soon!
  5. #5  
    I actually thought this.

    It might be convenient to let MS generate a bunch of phone buzz in October and then Palm announce something in early November.

    Who knows, seems strange as I thought for sure they'd get something out by the Holidays, perhaps Palm was much more seriously screwed up than we knew, therefore bigger delays.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by funkmeisterbrau View Post
    I actually thought this.

    It might be convenient to let MS generate a bunch of phone buzz in October and then Palm announce something in early November.
    Except that the two won't really have anything to do with each other in 2010. MS is launching on ATT and T-Mobile (where Palm is non-existent). Palm's two biggest launches (and the ones most in need of a refresh) thus far have been on CDMA carriers. Microsoft will be pushing exclusive games, Office, and Zune on their phones. HPalm would be pushing Just Type, more iPhone ports, and.....???
  7. #7  
    I really don't think HP is worried at all about 'timing' of releasing a device. A good marketing campaign and deep pockets can create a buzz even more than simply trying to release a device a couple weeks before the competition. You could release it the day after a huge release by a competitor and throw a ton of money into good advertising and you could make anything sell like crazy.
  8. #8  
    It does look like all of Palm's competitors have shown their cards, so Palm does have the ability to make them look a generation behind with the hardware. If Palm can push out a Cortex A9 phone before the competition the tech sites will eat it up and the power available will allow things not possible on the competitors hardware.

    So yeah being last might be good for them.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    It does look like all of Palm's competitors have shown their cards, so Palm does have the ability to make them look a generation behind with the hardware. If Palm can push out a Cortex A9 phone before the competition the tech sites will eat it up and the power available will allow things not possible on the competitors hardware.

    So yeah being last might be good for them.
    Huh? Samsung has already announced the Orion for their tablets and devices in the first half of 2011. And that's with them making most of the components.

    How is HP going to beat them to market with an unannounced dual-core Cortex A9?
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Huh? Samsung has already announced the Orion for their tablets and devices in the first half of 2011. And that's with them making most of the components.

    How is HP going to beat them to market with an unannounced dual-core Cortex A9?
    Texas Instruments if Palm continues their relationship with them. Their roadmap is ahead of Samsung for a Cortex A9 CPUs.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Texas Instruments if Palm continues their relationship with them. Their roadmap is ahead of Samsung for a Cortex A9 CPUs.
    Funny...the last I read on TI's A9 OMAPs over at AnandTech specifically said "shipping in Q4, showing up in devices in early 2011", which is pretty much the same timeframe when Samsung Orion devices are due to drop, along with the 1.2 ghz dual-core Snapdragons.

    I don't think any device is going to be leapfrogging competitors except in responsiveness and UI smoothness, and in that area, WebOS is well behind Android, iPhone, and Windows Phone 7 - and the latter hasn't even launched yet!
  12. mike5's Avatar
    Posts
    762 Posts
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ8 View Post
    HPalm needs to get something out there soon!
    Only if it is worthy, IMO. I don't want something substandard just to get something out there.
  13. mike5's Avatar
    Posts
    762 Posts
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by funkmeisterbrau View Post
    perhaps Palm was much more seriously screwed up than we knew, therefore bigger delays.
    Or maybe, HP simply doesn't want to put out a product w/their brand on it just to put it out. Maybe, as earlier reported, they wanted much better hardware. Maybe they are trying to ensure it fits w/the ecosystem they are trying to create. Maybe...
  14. #14  
    If HPalm bring their new phone after Verizon announce the iphone on their line, it's game over. They did the survey, and big percentage of people in verizonwireless said they will buy Iphone once it's available on their line. If HPalm is smart, they have to announce it well before iphone so they can get some head start. Anyway, market is getting tougher and let's see what kind of Microsoft phones are coming out and what kind of apps will pure in to that. they probably gonna have flash support before WebOS, right?
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    If HPalm bring their new phone after Verizon announce the iphone on their line, it's game over. They did the survey, and big percentage of people in verizonwireless said they will buy Iphone once it's available on their line. If HPalm is smart, they have to announce it well before iphone so they can get some head start. Anyway, market is getting tougher and let's see what kind of Microsoft phones are coming out and what kind of apps will pure in to that. they probably gonna have flash support before WebOS, right?
    It may not be game over, but at best webOS will remain mired in that 5% market share rut for a long time.
  16. #16  
    Doesn't matter how much you say WebOS is better than iOS, Palm can't compete with Iphone. Iphone is now 4th generation and their OS is getting better and their apps are getting bigger. If you still think we have to announce right after Apple, that's like 3 years mentality. Back then, Palm might have a chance but now we are not even close. I doubt Apple even care what kind of device HP will announce in the future. Iphone's real competition is Android and maybe Microsoft.
  17. #17  
    The webOS world is clamoring for a smartphone, not a tablet, and not a printer. This webOS world was built by smartphone people, if webOS came out as a tablet originally it likly wouldn't have had the notice that it did.

    Yes we want a tablet, but its more of a, wow thats soo cool. I won't be buying it thoe.

    If HP thinks disregarding the smartphone business is somthing for them, they are sorely mistaken.

    All I know, is I better hear somthing before/on CES or im done playing this game. Im just getting bored.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Funny...the last I read on TI's A9 OMAPs over at AnandTech specifically said "shipping in Q4, showing up in devices in early 2011", which is pretty much the same timeframe when Samsung Orion devices are due to drop, along with the 1.2 ghz dual-core Snapdragons.

    I don't think any device is going to be leapfrogging competitors except in responsiveness and UI smoothness, and in that area, WebOS is well behind Android, iPhone, and Windows Phone 7 - and the latter hasn't even launched yet!
    I've owned both a Nexus One (for overseas use) and an Evo 4G (returned it within 30 days because I missed my Pre) and to say that any variation of Android is "smoother" is a fool's argument. Maybe on a phone with a stock 1GHz processor, but certainly not on one of equal specs with the Pre.
  19. #19  
    HP wants to wait until everyone is in contract with an Android or iOS phone then release it then so many less will buy it.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by nbmatt View Post
    I've owned both a Nexus One (for overseas use) and an Evo 4G (returned it within 30 days because I missed my Pre) and to say that any variation of Android is "smoother" is a fool's argument. Maybe on a phone with a stock 1GHz processor, but certainly not on one of equal specs with the Pre.
    There's only one Android device I know of equal specs to the Pre (TI OMAP), and that's the Droid. At stock speeds, it is smoother. Opens up apps quicker, scrolls smoother...it's smoother. I've played with my best friend's Droid many times. Not once since he got Froyo, tho, which should make it even more lopsided.

    But compare an overclocked Pre at 1ghz with OMAP vs. a Droid 2 or Droid. Android is still smoother.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions