Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    In my line of work I get to meet people from many corporate walks of life and being the tech geek that I am I'm usually able to talk to them about the future aspects of technology.

Today I had the opportunity to meet one of HP's marketing directors, who immediately noticed my Sprint Pre sitting on my desk. I mentioned PreCentral, and how the site was buzzing about the upcoming rumored tablet, and phone, and he said "We know about PreCentral and like it very much, the ideas that the developers there have come up with are very exciting and will be the basis of many of the things that the WebOS slate will have. The phone, and PC's, particularly the larger touch screen PC's will be absolutely beautiful and feature loaded when they start hitting."

I asked WHEN?? The response was that the Windows slate was already in production before the acquisition, and so would be out real soon, and that the WebOS would be a couple of weeks after that. He assured me that the fans of the OS would not be disappointed, and that the phone is absolutely beautiful, more beautiful than "that" other phone.

He promised to send me specs and pictures as soon as he can.

I'M PYSCHED!! I will unquestionably hold on to see what's down the road. I will consider my source to be reliable as his enthusiasm was spontaneous when he saw the phone, and very forthcoming. So - lets see what happens.

YIPPEE!! I dont know about you guys but I'm doin a happy dance!!
    <<Thread Moved>>
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    /popcorn
    awesome
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Thanks for sharing!! Great news.
    Global Posts
    205 Global Posts
    I have 12 months left before I have my VzW upgrade. If the new HW comes out and it's great, I might see if I can upgrade early. They tend to allow that sometimes. I'm really looking forward to the new HW.
    so according to even a recent interview: DEMO: HP’s Phil McKinney explains company’s multibillion-dollar acquisition spree | VentureBeat

they still plan on releasing the windows version this year, now do you remeber if he stated the webos version of tablet being released weeks after the windows version, or was he talking about the webos version of the phone?
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    ...they still plan on releasing the windows version this year, now do you remeber if he stated the webos version of tablet being released weeks after the windows version, or was he talking about the webos version of the phone?
    Good point as HP has always said that a webOS tablet was a "early next year" kind of thing.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    this makes me very excited, since i have been good for an upgrade since june being part of the sprint premier, but have found myself not being able to leave for ANYTHING other than webos(even being on my 5th pre WITH a broken power button right now). so lets see what u got HPalm, cuz i aint goin no where!!
    Very interesting news indeed. Thanks a lot for sharing OP!

I suppose we could be looking at a November/December release for the Slate with a January/February release for the webOS tablet.

I think I'll be holding out for a new webOS phone regardless of the release date. I just came off a brief excursion with Android, and I'm glad to be back on my Pre. It's gonna be hard to wait, but I just don't see any better options. Especially now that MS is royally screwing up their WP7 launch by limiting it to GSM only. As a CDMA user that sure doesn't sit well with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by alan7467 View Post
    Very interesting news indeed. Thanks a lot for sharing OP!

I suppose we could be looking at a November/December release for the Slate with a January/February release for the webOS tablet.

I think I'll be holding out for a new webOS phone regardless of the release date. I just came off a brief excursion with Android, and I'm glad to be back on my Pre. It's gonna be hard to wait, but I just don't see any better options. Especially now that MS is royally screwing up their WP7 launch by limiting it to GSM only. As a CDMA user that sure doesn't sit well with me.
    I completly agree, I myself have a pre and a Evo and must say I barely use the Evo. To me Android is just to choppy and clutter looking. I dont see myself either leaving Webos anytime soon for any andorid device, im actully going to be selling my Evo soon, and would consider wm7 likeing the interface to hold me over if there is no webos phone this year, but it looks like as you stated thats not a option at all this year. So off to waiting until november to see if we hear anything about this new webos phone, hopefully someone like the person on this post gets some sneaky pics and release date soon, otherwise Ill be sticking it out with my Palm Pre and not to upset about it since these Android phones are still inferior to webos, even with bigger screens and specs smh.
    are you under nda?
    Very exciting news! I'm sure even if OP isn't under an NDA, they rep won't send out specifics until a public release is made.

Even so, either way (tablet or phone)... Happy Dance!

http://dckickball.org/wp-content/upl...9/08/homer.jpg
    It is indeed an interesting conversation. I've had several similar conversations with people in various roles at HP both on the consumer side and the enterprise side. I don't post much about them because lets face it, until they show me something and let me take a picture of it, it isn't real.

But I will say the enthusiasm that they each bring to the table is incredible. They talk about webOS and the upcoming hardware like it is a new beginning not just for PALM but for consumer devices in general. They talk about concepts of webOS making it into mainstream desktops and PC's, not replacing windows but running with windows doing things that windows isn't good at. They talk about the whole ecosystem of connected devices with webOS being the underpinning of that technology. And yes some of them have even talked about webOS being embedded in third party hardware in places that HP doesn't play today, all for that connected experience. Imagine a windows laptop with a touchscreen monitor, that detaches and is a webOS based tablet. A TV with and embedded camera and webOS that becomes a communications platform for video conferences, and that tablet you pulled from your laptop becoming the blue tooth keyboard for it. Imagine walking into a conference room where that ppt presentation being displayed on the screen is also automatically available to be displayed on your webOS enabled device, regardless of what it is.

And like the OP, most of these conversations have been started by the HP people not by me. They see the phone, they see my browsing P/C, they see the touchstones, and they know.

Do I think everything they talk about will happen, probably not. But if they are that excited about the ideas that are being talked about, and what they have seen so far, it tells me HP is really taking this to heart, and believes in the ecosystem that webOS enables for them.
    Cool, but I want a phone roadmap. PALM NEEDS TO DO A 4.3" PHONE WITH AND WITHOUT A KEYBOARD SOON AND THEN I WILL BUY A NEW PHONE. If they fail to do this it will be android/ WP7 for me. I don't want another pre or anything close to the pre quild quality wise.
    I love WebOS, but it's hardware hardware hardware for HPalm now
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Welcome to open source. Things can get bumpy. Please fasten your seat belts.
    Quote Originally Posted by dianagr View Post
    You can also swipe a counterclockwise semi-circle around the center button to go back. [Do a back gesture]
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay69 View Post
    In my line of work I get to meet people from many corporate walks of life and being the tech geek that I am I'm usually able to talk to them about the future aspects of technology.

Today I had the opportunity to meet one of HP's marketing directors, who immediately noticed my Sprint Pre sitting on my desk. I mentioned PreCentral, and how the site was buzzing about the upcoming rumored tablet, and phone, and he said "We know about PreCentral and like it very much, the ideas that the developers there have come up with are very exciting and will be the basis of many of the things that the WebOS slate will have. The phone, and PC's, particularly the larger touch screen PC's will be absolutely beautiful and feature loaded when they start hitting."

I asked WHEN?? The response was that the Windows slate was already in production before the acquisition, and so would be out real soon, and that the WebOS would be a couple of weeks after that. He assured me that the fans of the OS would not be disappointed, and that the phone is absolutely beautiful, more beautiful than "that" other phone.

I'M PYSCHED!! I will unquestionably hold on to see what's down the road. I will consider my source to be reliable as his enthusiasm was spontaneous when he saw the phone, and very forthcoming. So - lets see what happens.

Interesting that HP will make no public announcements about the release dates of either device (windows or webOS slates) in anything but the most vague terms, but an anonymous HP 'marketing director' shares detailed release information about these two products with a complete stranger in a random meeting. My Giggle Test meter is pegged.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Interesting that HP will make no public announcements about the release dates of either device (windows or webOS slates) in anything but the most vague terms, but an anonymous HP 'marketing director' shares detailed release information about these two products with a complete stranger in a random meeting. My Giggle Test meter is pegged.
    Hey, man, benefit of the doubt and all. I mean, seriously: in the absence of firm details straight from the source, I'm happy to settle for unicorns and rainbows.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    ...I'm happy to settle for unicorns and rainbows.
    Free Online Game - Robot Unicorn Attack from Adult Swim

Would this suffice?
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Hey, man, benefit of the doubt and all. I mean, seriously: in the absence of firm details straight from the source, I'm happy to settle for unicorns and rainbows.
    Here you go!

http://funkysphere.com/blog/uploaded...ony-730485.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay69 View Post

This guy you talked to is on spot...I have heard the same about something in your above statement...so everyone give Teejay69 some credit, and hold on tight its going to be awesome stuff.

Nokia (red phone) --> Denso TouchPoint TP2200 --> Samsung SPH-N400 --> (Palm VII) --> Sanyo 5150 --> Palm Treo 650 --> Palm Pre --> Sprint FrankenPre 2 --> (HP TouchPad)/(HP Pre 3 - Wifi) --> Galaxy Nexus (with TS mod and hopes of Open webOS!)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast