Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    A local Sprint rep, who is a great guy, was one of our local Palm contacts when the Pre launched, etc, told me not to expect a new Palm phone on Sprint before, at best[ Q3 2011.

He was actually predicting Q4, but when I pushed him, he said maybe Q3.

This is devastating as my Palm died (just after I had quit the insurance plan - doh!) and I sooooooo prefer WebOS over Android. But if we don't get a holiday announcement, then I'm going to have to jump ship.

Obviously, this isn't official or anything, but it's sad.
    Local Sprint reps are sooooooooo in the loop of Palm releases!

LOL
    Time to put my 2 cents in the mix;

1. If HP Palm thinks that releaseing a tablet in early 2011, is going to spur interest in webOS, there completely wrong.

2. Yes, sprint may wait till Q4 2011 to release a new webOS device, it sounds a little far fetched, but keep in mind. This is ONLY sprint were talking about, a new webOS device could still come to another provider. However unlikly it may be that Verizon gets it...

3. As I've said before, webOS 2.0 will likly be out by end of year as they stated. But the real mix of things will come at CES 2011. I wouldn't be at all suprised if HP Palm starts demoing all sorts of prototype devices at CES to show off the possible capabilities of webOS on other form factors including a smart phone. Expect the tablet and a smart phone at ces, I would think.

4. If it soo happens we do not see a new smart phone device at all till end of 2011, palm will have truely lost in this game to topple android if at all. I find that hard to believe. Also take in considered Mr. Sood mentioned a 12 month timeline, 12 months from now is Q3 2011. But he did put emphais on not the end of th 12 months, but throughout. Soo ehh. Ill take it with a grain of salt and continue to prepare my popcorn for CES.
    Same here, I've been babying (that even a word?) my Pre. Tandem Series Otter Box is my Pre's new best friend. Although I miss my Touchstone, I feel the case is more important to me. (to much a pain to remove the case 3 times a day)
    Well I hope this isn't true, come November 1st I will be using my upgrade regardless if there is a new Palm device or not. Palm just has to have a new device coming up soon though, HP hasn't touched Palm's roadmap at all this year as far as I know.
    Sprint reps are like car salesmen...you usually know more then they do.

<<Thread Renamed>>
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 09/16/2010 at 11:56 AM.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    Sprint reps are like car salesmen...you usually know more then they do.
    this...
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    Didn't Ruby state explicitly there would be a new phone out before the end of THIS year?
    Q3 of 2011 ???

Most store rep's for all carriers know little to nothing about what is coming, until its about to come, and then they seem to know everything!

My guess: Pre2 Q3-Q4 2010.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

If there is not a new device for almost a year or more, Palm will lose lots and lots of customers.

Just my opinion.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    If there is not a new device for almost a year or more, Palm will lose lots and lots of customers.

Just my opinion.
    Indeed, a tablet will not keep the masses at bay. This platform was started on a phone, it must be pushed with phones. Tablets are the middle man that no one wants to ever see.
    I place a lot of credence on the credibility of Sprint representatives. The same ones that told me last week that they had no Pre batteries in stock then later said the batteries were in transit, and then confirmed that they do not sell batteries in Sprint stores. If they have no clue what if going on in their own backyard, they certainly are not in the loop when it comes to Pam’s business decisions.

"How art thou, thou globby bottle of cheap, stinking chip oil? Come and get one in the yarbles, if ya have any yarbles, you eunuch jelly thou!"
    not credible (or should I say INcredible!?)
    Find a more creditable source. :P

-Toaster
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post

Just my opinion.
    This would be true if they actually had "lots and lots" of customers to lose.

While I and everyone here hates to think it, HP is likely to be a lot more focused on people who DON'T use webOS (a huge population) than people who DO (a pretty small population). That being said, I agree that they would be unwise to wait that long to put out a phone, because it would be throwing away a very valuable asset - the awesome-but-growing-very-impatient community. They buy and throw away more assets than that every week, however, so who knows what they'll do.

I have absolutely no faith in what a phone store rep tells me. He could be right, but my guess is he has little idea and is pitching a line why you shouldn't hold off upgrading now.
    Can you imagine using a first generation Sprint Pre leading up to Q3 2011? That just cannot be true, unless they're willing to lose their entire market share before the next release.
    for the most part not just mine, or anyone elses sources including jackson over at webosworld would tell you this is a bad rumor. For the record Reps for cell phone carriers no nothing about releases until they are notified right before they get the product unless they need training on it. Even looking in their inventory on the computer only gives them a idea (as you can see with the palm C40 showing up for how long now). So please people dont think hard at all into this rumor, and if we all went to a sprint store and asked a rep they all would give us THEIR IDEA of when the phone will be released. In fact I myself without my sources knew about the Evo months prior to its launch and went to 5 stores and called 3 and they never heard of the phone, or had any idea of a release date.
    While I've been arguing lately that we need to be patient because this stuff takes time, I'll just say that this particular Sprint rep needs to pull his head out of somewhere that it's presently pressed rather tightly into. There is simply no way that I can imagine Sprint going a full year before carrying a new webOS device.

My reason for stating this so forcefully is simple: there's no way HP would let that happen. Let's think about it for a second: what could possibly compel Sprint to make a decision like this that HP couldn't overcome with money? I mean, the delta between profit and loss from carrying a device can't be that great, and HP has plenty of financial resources to sweeten the pot.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    While I've been arguing lately that we need to be patient because this stuff takes time, I'll just say that this particular Sprint rep needs to pull his head out of somewhere that it's presently pressed rather tightly into. There is simply no way that I can imagine Sprint going a full year before carrying a new webOS device.

My reason for stating this so forcefully is simple: there's no way HP would let that happen. Let's think about it for a second: what could possibly compel Sprint to make a decision like this that HP couldn't overcome with money? I mean, the delta between profit and loss from carrying a device can't be that great, and HP has plenty of financial resources to sweeten the pot.
    Would be true if HP wants to launch with Sprint first, I think they will not. And HP does not really care about the current WebOS user base because it is not that big, they want to wow everybody when they reveal their line of products and that will take time. I think people who think a new phone coming out this year on Sprint are just dreaming, but there is no problem with dreaming.
    It might be that the Sprint rep wants to sell you a phone now and will tell you anything to keep you from waiting for the new Palm phone.
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast