Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by htabbach View Post
    Would be true if HP wants to launch with Sprint first, I think they will not. And HP does not really care about the current WebOS user base because it is not that big, they want to wow everybody when they reveal their line of products and that will take time. I think people who think a new phone coming out this year on Sprint are just dreaming, but there is no problem with dreaming.
    I didn't say anything about launching on Sprint first, and frankly I'm no longer convinced that it's going to happen anyways. However, there's a huge difference between launching on Sprint first or not, and not launching on Sprint at all until Q3 2011.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    I didn't say anything about launching on Sprint first, and frankly I'm no longer convinced that it's going to happen anyways. However, there's a huge difference between launching on Sprint first or not, and not launching on Sprint at all until Q3 2011.
    My bad, let me clarify what I meant to say. I think HP will not launch on Sprint first, and I think their first phone will come out around march of next year. If my prediction is true, Sprint won't get the next phone until late second Q or even third Q, which makes this whole story possible.
    waiting that long and we'll be calling the Palm webOS experience "Beta Max 2"
    I see pandas.
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    sprint reps don't know ****.everybody stop listening to stupid sprint people.
    I call BS. As an Electronics Engineer I can guarantee you it doesn't take that long to design a phone. The electronics are prepackaged canned devices. Most of the system comes on one chip (the SOC package; i.e. TI OMAP) with a few more devices for radios, along with passives and clock generators (oscillators). The hard part is the hardware and electronic PCB design. The board has to fit the hardware, contain the chips, and route the traces with minimal noise and cross-talk. The hardest part, electronically, tends to be the antenna design.

Needless to say, it will not take a freaking year from now to get a new phone out, especially when you already have a base device that you can simply enhance/enlarge/improve. Not going to happen. Any design house that takes that long on a phone needs to have a cattle prod applied to them. I've seen Stores Management Systems get designed in less time, because it's a derivative (even though new board layouts and parts were used).
    Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    I call BS. As an Electronics Engineer I can guarantee you it doesn't take that long to design a phone. The electronics are prepackaged canned devices. Most of the system comes on one chip (the SOC package; i.e. TI OMAP) with a few more devices for radios, along with passives and clock generators (oscillators). The hard part is the hardware and electronic PCB design. The board has to fit the hardware, contain the chips, and route the traces with minimal noise and cross-talk. The hardest part, electronically, tends to be the antenna design.
    I get you're saying - it's easy to slap a SOC on a motherboard and cram it into a box along with some radios.

The thing is... there's design and there's DESIGN. How many iterations do you think Palm went through before arriving at the river stone shape of the Pre? Apple's design department did something no other company would even think about and fused the iPhone 4 screen to the glass to make the display look more like icons on top of the glass rather than under it. Hell, HTC putting a kickstand on the EVO to make it more comfortable to watch video on probably required a bit of thought.

These are the things that punctuate UX. These are the things that matter when it comes to design.
    This Sprint rep probably saw Sood's tweet about a year, and lacking much for gray matter, he tok that to mean devices will appear one year from now. Of course, the real meaning was that one year from now, all manner of awesome will be already aout and about.
    former pre & pixi user here...been thinking about coming back but until i see a new device i won't budge from android.

i can also confirm "from a sprint corporate" guru i personally know that there will be no new palm devices out this year and possibly most of next year. it's the same with wp7. sprint will not be carrying that device at all this year. android is the hot seller for them right now. take this as you will but i know several people high up and i work on phones for a living.
    Ha Ha Ha. I love these posts. The first time I meet a sprint engineer he assured me it would be 2012 before the sprint and nextel technologies would merge and they would be one company with one technology. He assured me this was true. He had heard it from some meeting he had went to. He was like 5 to 6 YEARS off. Don't believe anything unless its officially.

***By the way I work for a large municipality. We were suppose to be working with people in the "know" so that we could make a very large decision (millions of $) on who to go with for our cell provider. after all the meetings with different engineers and hearing everything almost none of it was true. I just find it funny that one person can say something and people believe it because "they for sure know." There are very very very few people who actually know what a multi-billion dollar company is going to do...
    Last edited by byosphere; 09/16/2010 at 07:04 PM.
    Palm will go out of business and will cost Hp billions with a b, billions of dollars if they wait a year to release another device.

Palm has already stated that webOs will be released this year (before Dec31 2010). It would be suicidal to release 2.0 w/o new hardware at the same time or immediately after.

if 2.0 is only for existing customers it does'nt help get customers. Palm must release hardware this year for the holidays or 2.0 will be a flop. Palm absolutely cannot afford to announce and wait 6 mos again.
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    I get you're saying - it's easy to slap a SOC on a motherboard and cram it into a box along with some radios.

The thing is... there's design and there's DESIGN. How many iterations do you think Palm went through before arriving at the river stone shape of the Pre? Apple's design department did something no other company would even think about and fused the iPhone 4 screen to the glass to make the display look more like icons on top of the glass rather than under it. Hell, HTC putting a kickstand on the EVO to make it more comfortable to watch video on probably required a bit of thought.

These are the things that punctuate UX. These are the things that matter when it comes to design.
    With phones, it all starts up front with a hardware concept and wishful specs. I can guarantee that Palm had concepts in work, and I can guarantee that HP had some concepts in mind. Even from concept, 6-8 months plus validation and distribution would be typical. One year would be the long end, and I would bet that they are at least 3 months into any HP derived projects.

My personal belief is that Palm had 2 or 3 next generation concepts ready, but HP wanted them to up the specs (processor, RAM, Flash Mem, that sort of stuff) and that may have put a 1-2 month delay in the process. In this type of situation, there may not have been much left to do in the design department. I think they probably had about 3 months left to validate the design, and would need another month or so to distribute, putting the phone into an October-November time frame. This is all conjecture, but would seem to make sense based on several "sources" here stating that Palm had some stuff ready to go, but HP wanted to have something better. I think they would have gone forward with beefed up versions of what they had, then worked on a bunch of new form factors and killer phones to release during 2011.

Here's to hoping!
    Yawn, another day, another rumor from a Sprint underling, when will it ever end?
    Quote Originally Posted by byosphere View Post
    me likes
    me too, id get it over the evo. sadly i know this is just a mockup and probably will not happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    Sprint reps are like car salesmen...you usually know more then they do.

<<Thread Renamed>>
    Since I work at a used car lot, I know salesmen will say anything to get you out the door in a vehicle. This may have been the sales rep state of mind. When the customer is looking for a new phone, and wants webOS, the sales rep tells them some BS date, in order for them to lose hope and buy a different phone. See what I am saying here? Everyone is considering jumping ship for a year, which is exactly what the reps want you to do. Buy buy buy so they get commission. Can't blame them.

And ryleyinstl, car salesmen know more than you think, they just say what it takes to sell a car
    Quote Originally Posted by fixxxer1022 View Post
    former pre & pixi user here...been thinking about coming back but until i see a new device i won't budge from android.

i can also confirm "from a sprint corporate" guru i personally know that there will be no new palm devices out this year and possibly most of next year. it's the same with wp7. sprint will not be carrying that device at all this year. android is the hot seller for them right now. take this as you will but i know several people high up and i work on phones for a living.
    first your creditablity has just been murdered because they have almost confermed a WP7 4G for sprint by christmas even over at webosworld they have a pic of the phone, and only Verizon and Tmobile are not carrying a WP7 this fall. LG WP7 Phone Caught by Mr Blurry Cam. Second as we stated not even Raul Sood at HP knows exactly what device, and when a device on what carrier will be ready at this point only todd and Rub knows this information so how in the world do you think anybody at sprint even the CEO would have info if most of HP's internals don't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmid7y View Post
    Since I work at a used car lot, I know salesmen will say anything to get you out the door in a vehicle. This may have been the sales rep state of mind. When the customer is looking for a new phone, and wants webOS, the sales rep tells them some BS date, in order for them to lose hope and buy a different phone. See what I am saying here? Everyone is considering jumping ship for a year, which is exactly what the reps want you to do. Buy buy buy so they get commission. Can't blame them.

And ryleyinstl, car salesmen know more than you think, they just say what it takes to sell a car
    exactly thats just a good sales rep, so I'm woundering why people fly off the hedge again, when people just blurt out what someone says, with no credable information. So lets all please just wait for Todd or Rub from that paticular department (since we all know how big HP is) make an annoucement, not some sales rep.
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    first your creditablity has just been murdered because they have almost confermed a WP7 4G for sprint by christmas even over at webosworld they have a pic of the phone, and only Verizon and Tmobile are not carrying a WP7 this fall. LG WP7 Phone Caught by Mr Blurry Cam. Second as we stated not even Raul Sood at HP knows exactly what device, and when a device on what carrier will be ready at this point only todd and Rub knows this information so how in the world do you think anybody at sprint even the CEO would have info if most of HP's internals don't.
    well,well,well, Thats not true. Rahul Sood does know whats coming and where its going he just cares enough about his job to keep his mouth shut.

I do agree about the sprint employee not having a clue! (so to speak)
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

Microsoft: Windows Phone 7 to be GSM-only until first half of 2011 -- Engadget

thought i'd add a lil flame to the fire. this would suck if no webos phones till 2nd half 2011
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast