Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have made a post like this before and not many people seemed to agree with me. Which i could not understand. The next generation hard ware that will be coming out will be unbeleivave.

Dual core quad core
    quad core gpu
    hdmi output
    blue tooth controllers
    wifi controllers
    multiplayer games like from gameloft and now gamecenter from apple.
    These this are already in the making, someone just needs to put it all together.

Unreal engine i believe is being made for webos and has already been ported using the unreal tournament game. Look at the game epic of citadel on iphone ipad 4. These are the makers of gears of war. It wont be long before they make a game like that or a mobile version of gears of war.

Now why in the world has a gaming controller not come out from anybody? I truely believe palm should definitely capitalize on this and make one and definitely get the best mobile developers on board with them.

if your excuse not to make one is cause of the small screens well that lame excuse wont work for all the tablets coming out.
    I'd almost agree with you on that one, as far as the controllers go. In fact I remember seeing a few years back on television, an ad for some type of phone that did have a controller attachment for it, tiny joystick on the left, 4 buttons on the right sort of thing. ( I don't remember the type of phone either, but it was way before iphones, pre's, droids, et al.) Somehow just sort of clipped onto your phone, not sure if it had an attachment or was BT.

Just going over the SuperNES thread, someone mentioned within a few hours of SuperNES going to the AppCatalog, 3000 d/l's.

Having personally tested out a lot of those games, I would agree that some sort of exterior controller would not only be beneficial in terms of playing, but IMO, beneficial to the developers. Not much good in having a cool looking game that's hard(physically) to play. Although there are full on touch screen/keyboard/or combo controls, it definately takes a little skill, especially if you have adult sized hands.

Small screen, big screens aside... it's almost the same size, give or take, of a GameBoyAdvance(I'm not going to google it and compare the two)...and on that note....HDMI outputs....or even USB...why not add that option as a standard for all apps?

take my phone, plug it in to the tv....full audio/video displayed right on the tube, for any and all apps/games/music etc.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    No one has a quad core mobile CPU yet. They're not expected until at least 2012 with the ARM Eagle design, and more likely 2013.

Aside from that, the tablets are not intended to compete with the likes of computers and consoles. Look at the size of console controllers, and computers have full-fledged keyboards and mice. How would you market it? "It's a great mobile gaming platform, as long as you remember to bring with you this controller that won't fit in your pocket and which even the least fashionable wouldn't be caught wearing on their belts"?

You can't make every product fill every possible market.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Blank View Post
    No one has a quad core mobile CPU yet. They're not expected until at least 2012 with the ARM Eagle design, and more likely 2013.

Aside from that, the tablets are not intended to compete with the likes of computers and consoles. Look at the size of console controllers, and computers have full-fledged keyboards and mice. How would you market it? "It's a great mobile gaming platform, as long as you remember to bring with you this controller that won't fit in your pocket and which even the least fashionable wouldn't be caught wearing on their belts"?

You can't make every product fill every possible market.

This is completely ridiculous the same thing has been said about the ipad. Who needs such a big screen, how would you market it.

Again look at epic of citadel demo and then tell me it wont eventually compete will consoles. Keyboards already link up to i pad and a mouse has also

This is complete non sense Games will only get much better and complex and a controller WILL eventually be needed.

Do you really understand how much better a game is will an actual controller you think people are going to care about how they are going to carry it. Thats what bac packs are for brief cases storage places in cars are for.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    I'd almost agree with you on that one, as far as the controllers go. In fact I remember seeing a few years back on television, an ad for some type of phone that did have a controller attachment for it, tiny joystick on the left, 4 buttons on the right sort of thing. ( I don't remember the type of phone either, but it was way before iphones, pre's, droids, et al.) Somehow just sort of clipped onto your phone, not sure if it had an attachment or was BT.

Just going over the SuperNES thread, someone mentioned within a few hours of SuperNES going to the AppCatalog, 3000 d/l's.

Having personally tested out a lot of those games, I would agree that some sort of exterior controller would not only be beneficial in terms of playing, but IMO, beneficial to the developers. Not much good in having a cool looking game that's hard(physically) to play. Although there are full on touch screen/keyboard/or combo controls, it definately takes a little skill, especially if you have adult sized hands.

Small screen, big screens aside... it's almost the same size, give or take, of a GameBoyAdvance(I'm not going to google it and compare the two)...and on that note....HDMI outputs....or even USB...why not add that option as a standard for all apps?

take my phone, plug it in to the tv....full audio/video displayed right on the tube, for any and all apps/games/music etc.
    I completely agree on making webos appear on a tv through hdmi output uses could be endless. But a controller can also be useful for presentaions
    ok that last post made me go look it up and HERE IT IS ................drumroll...............

It really doesn't look that much bigger than the cellphone you already carry and I found a couple 1&2 more as well.

Whether or not these are real or fabricated, just goes to show you how (relatively) small the periph's can be.

Not really far off the old school external speakers you used to be able to get for your phones either.
    Last edited by sledge007; 09/14/2011 at 06:00 PM.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Quote Originally Posted by gregcolon3 View Post
    I completely agree on making webos appear on a tv through hdmi output uses could be endless. But a controller can also be useful for presentaions
    I personally don't see any use for this. It's kind of like the cables that came with the video recorder, you hook it up maybe once or twice to record everything to VCR or show someone something, but it's so much easier just to watch the screen.

I mean, why would you want to see something made for a screen 1/50th the size on a big screen TV? And as for movies plenty of TVs have the capability now, not to mention Wii's, 360s, and PS3s are all media centers. It seems like something that would be either not as good as other things people have or move of a hassle than it's worth.

I think it would be great to have a controller of some sort, but I don't think the direction to go is to compete with consoles or laptops.

However I believe Onlive would be a godsend to a Tablet and a partnership could really help a tablet boom.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    I agree op, we need better controls for games, but the iphone will soon have one and I think the droid already has one and sony is toying with the idea of a psp phone. Mobile gaming is here to stay and those who don't think it's practical are screwed cuz it's going to be big. Heck it's already huge, I want palm to work with sony and make a bluetooth ps3 controller that your pre/whatever docks to.
    Surely the game capabilities of a phone are just to while away a few idle minutes every now and again. If you want to seriously play electronic games, wouldn't you use a purpose built games unit. Thankfully I don't see Palm devoting much attention to this.
  10.    #10  
    I completely disagree with the fact that palm will and is not devoting much a ttention to gaming. If anything it's the complete opososite. Remember the pdk, rahul sood getting involved and the fact that we are getting I hope dual core processors. If anything it's multimedia that attracts a person to a phone and gaming is at the core of it right now and is blowing up.
    if want want to play games w a controller,get an xbox,,,this is a phone,not a playstation. It's a phone you can play some games on. Not a game system you can make calls on.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by zmann View Post
    if want want to play games w a controller,get an xbox,,,this is a phone,not a playstation. It's a phone you can play some games on. Not a game system you can make calls on.
    This is the thing, these phones are no longer just phones. People will start seeing soon that we will have xbox 1 level graphics or higher.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bdog421 View Post
    I agree op, we need better controls for games, but the iphone will soon have one and I think the droid already has one and sony is toying with the idea of a psp phone. Mobile gaming is here to stay and those who don't think it's practical are screwed cuz it's going to be big. Heck it's already huge, I want palm to work with sony and make a bluetooth ps3 controller that your pre/whatever docks to.
    considering that sony is already in the mobile phone market (ever hear of Sony Ericsson?), that Pam's new parent company is a mortal enemy of Sony, and that Sony has always expressed the desire to make a psp type phone, I doubt we will see this anytime soon...

Quote Originally Posted by zmann View Post
    +1, games would be pixelated as hell on a 40" TV.
    This is completely ridiculous the same thing has been said about the ipad. Who needs such a big screen, how would you market it.
    I don't know anyone who said that about the iPad. It's popularity may have been a little underestimated, but everyone I know expected Apple to get it more or less right from the beginning. The truth is that the market has been in need of a good tablet device, and the only real OS available for it was Windows, and Windows still is not there yet, even with Windows 7.

Again look at epic of citadel demo and then tell me it wont eventually compete will consoles.
    Really? Let's look at some performance numbers, based on the best I can find looking around online...
    • Playstation 3 -- around 2000 GFLOPS
    • Xbox 360 -- around 350 GFLOPS
    • Xbox -- 7.3 GFLOPS
    • Core i7 920 + nVidia 8800GT (my system) -- 550 GFLOPS
    • TI OMAP 3430 -- .008 GFLOPS

I look at those numbers, and I tell you that smart phones and tablets using mobile architectures will not eventually compete with consoles. They don't even come up close to the point of an outdated video card on a PC. The PS4 is in planning stages for a possible 2014 launch, Microsoft is certainly figuring out what will be in the Xbox 720 (or whatever they call it), and I'm looking at getting a video card that will boost my raw computing capacity by somewhere between double and quadruple what it is now.

The basic reason is that they cannot draw the power required to perform the calculations to match those systems. The PS3 and Xbox 360 both draw in the neighborhood of 250 watts. My workstation draws about 350 watts. Smartphones draw at most a few watts, and a significant part of that goes into the air for connectivity.

Do you really understand how much better a game is will an actual controller you think people are going to care about how they are going to carry it. Thats what bac packs are for brief cases storage places in cars are for.
    Yes, I do understand. There's a good chance I've been gaming longer than you've been alive (unless you're more than 28 years old). I've certainly learned more about civil discussion and the realities of the tech industry than you have.

I also know that people don't like to carry around more devices than they have to, that most people don't carry around backpacks or briefcases. Look around here at the number of people that complain about the size of the Evo and how they don't want to put something like that in their pockets and they refuse to wear belt holsters. What makes you think that a gaming attachment is going to make them that much happier about it?

It might work for a slate form factor if they can build it in, but it will be difficult to make it a commercial success if it's an add-on.
    Give me a 4.3" screen, kickstand, and a BT controller and I'll be set. It would be so sick but it would have to be cross-platform with iOS and Android fir it to not be a fail.
  16.    #16  
    ok obviously not those consoles but psp ds? How about the iphone android and sony"upcoming psp phone"? Eventually we wil need a controller. It's not that hard I don't know what the big deal is anyway. They don't even have to mane the controller just add in the blue tooth wireless and have homebrewers take care of the rest.
    I don't know that a PSP phone will make economic sense. The games that are played on it are, compared to many games in the phone arena, extremely expensive. Most phone owners do not want to pay $10-$30 for a game (look at how many balk at apps that cost more than 99 cents). Could it succeed in a niche market? Sure. But again, the controls add bulk that people don't want in their phones. It means an add-on module that people don't want to carry, a slider that may be possible but would interfere with a keyboard that people would be more interested in, or an extension that would increase the phone to larger than an acceptable size.

They don't even have to mane the controller just add in the blue tooth wireless and have homebrewers take care of the rest.
    So your marketing strategy is to come up with something, anything, and trust a group of unpaid, largely non-professional programmers to come up with compelling content sufficient to justify the probably significant cost of such a controller?

I'm sure Palm is interested in more games showing up on the WebOS platform. But you can't be all things to all people. HP is far more likely to be going after the business market primarily with a secondary consumer focus, which is exactly what RIM's (very successful) strategy has been. If they can get the Mojo Messaging Service up and running and sell it at a lower cost than RIM's hideously expensive BES options, they could take a sizable slice out of RIM's business (and maybe get RIM to realize that they have little direction and improve the competition a bit).
    do you not remember the Nokia nGage phones. Nokia thought they would steal a large market share from Nintendo and Sega. Trouble was everything they added to make it better for games made it worse as a phone. Don't know haw to insert a link from the mobile site so google it and look on the wiki page.

I'm not against the concept per say, and if someone can come up with a good design that doesn't detract from the phones main purpose then great.

for me a separate controller is a no no. I don't have enough hands,
    I have made a post like this before and not many people seemed to agree with me. Which i could not understand.
    ...so you started a whole new thread to rehash this a little more? Lucky us!

Dual core quad core
    quad core gpu
    hdmi output
    blue tooth controllers
    wifi controllers
    multiplayer games like from gameloft and now gamecenter from apple.
    These this are already in the making, someone just needs to put it all together.

Unreal engine i believe is being made for webos and has already been ported using the unreal tournament game. Look at the game epic of citadel on iphone ipad 4. These are the makers of gears of war. It wont be long before they make a game like that or a mobile version of gears of war.

Now why in the world has a gaming controller not come out from anybody? I truely believe palm should definitely capitalize on this and make one and definitely get the best mobile developers on board with them.

if your excuse not to make one is cause of the small screens well that lame excuse wont work for all the tablets coming out.
    I'm sure if the market place will support it, some enterprising company will come out with phone-compatible game controllers. The discussion on this really is that simple.
    found this on YT
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast