Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I love the Pixi form factor, but the screen size is a bit small and it's underpowered (I have a Pre).

If they could squeeze a 3.1-3.5" screen on there (without making it too much larger), change the name, and bump up the processor to 800Mhz+ (with a discrete GPU as well), I'd buy that over a Pre2 or Pre Slate any day.
    I have no doubt it'll happen. I'm sure they'll start with the headliner hardware and a pixified handset will follow shortly thereafter (possibly following some other hardware like a printer or a tablet).
    Well, the problem is there is a pull away from slates with a physical keyboard as it greatly reduces screen size, two things the general public is beginning to look more and more down on.

I'm not sure how well the pixi sold, but considering it was the latest smartphone with that form factor, other companies might look at it as a baseline of sales, which I can't imagine would convince them that it'd be a good investment.

The biggest thing against the form factor is the amount of wasted space when your not typing, something a virtual keyboard easily fixes by only appearing when it's needed. Why would a consumer buy a smart phone with more power, but a screen that is limited in size because of an input device you use maybe half the time, if that.
    I hope their "business" phone is a beefed up pixi actually, both externally and internally. If Pre2 will be an iPhone killer, Pixi2 will be a BB killer.
    Quote Originally Posted by prebulls View Post
    I hope their "business" phone is a beefed up pixi actually, both externally and internally. If Pre2 will be an iPhone killer, Pixi2 will be a BB killer.
    Those were Palm killers than anything.
    BB is killing themselves pretty well on their own, won't take much to finish them off
    I doubt that there is going to be another Pixi version. If they make a physical keyboard phone again it's probably going to be a slider. I'd guess that if they stick with the two phones model they'll end up releasing something with a large screen to compete with the iPhone and Evo and then release something smaller with a slider keyboard. What we might end up seeing is the current Pre design being the base for the next "pixi" design.
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    BB is killing themselves pretty well on their own, won't take much to finish them off
    They still command the smartphone market at roughly 40% marketshare. So it will take quite a bit to finish them off. Yeah, they're trending downward, but they're quite entrenched, so it will take some time for them to get down to Palm or Windows levels of marketshare.

"Killing" BB probably has little to do with form factor, and a whole lot to do with the interface to the enterprise.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    what kind of pixi is this or it's just some sticker to cover the carrier logo

tv.rawr-caps.net/albums/uploads/Television/Pretty%20Little%20Liars/Season%201/Episode%2010%3A%20Keep%20Your%20Friends%20Close/liars10/pll110_003200.jpg[/
    There is definitely a new pixi coming along with a a slab form factor and landscape keyboard.

Now as for pixi2. I completely agree there needs to be a pixi with a 3 inch display and the omap4430 dual core 720mhz processor since it is entry level.

Current sales of the pixi will not determine if there will be another pixi. As has been stated there are a variety of different form factors being worked on.
    I think they should turn the pixi into a landscape slider and leave the Pre a Portrait slider both with close specs
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    I believe you will see multiple form factors coming - vertical slider, larger screen (3.7" diagnal) and a slab with no keyboard (4" diagnal) - these seem to be the most popular formats, however, I wouldnt be surprised to see the slab actually have a landscape slider on it, as that seems to be what most manufacturers are producing now - maybe they are hearing something from thier customers that we dont know about yet.

Both should be on the TI OMAP4 dual core CPU spec, and have incrdible enegry savings.

I don't think there will be a successor to the Pixi- honestly, it was a good idea but the market for it, I believe has long passed it by and almost everyone would want a larger screen.

IMO, of course.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by prebulls View Post
    If Pre2 will be an iPhone killer, Pixi2 will be a BB killer.
    sorry man, neither of that will happen. i love webos but it needs to be developed a bit more. if anything android may top them and that's because it's open source. winmo & palm are at the very bottom of the list right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    Well, the problem is there is a pull away from slates with a physical keyboard as it greatly reduces screen size, two things the general public is beginning to look more and more down on.

I'm not sure how well the pixi sold, but considering it was the latest smartphone with that form factor, other companies might look at it as a baseline of sales, which I can't imagine would convince them that it'd be a good investment.

The biggest thing against the form factor is the amount of wasted space when your not typing, something a virtual keyboard easily fixes by only appearing when it's needed. Why would a consumer buy a smart phone with more power, but a screen that is limited in size because of an input device you use maybe half the time, if that.
    Virtual keyboards are only loved by a few. If given a chance, most people prefer a physical keyboard hands down. Out of 5,095 people, 50.3% preferred physical keyboards while only 39.5% preferred virtual keyboards.
    Mobile Keyboard Faceoff: Physical vs. Virtual

The only reason people put up with virtual keyboards is so that they could have a larger screen, totally understandable.

Back when I had my Pre I added the virtual keyboard, but it was hardly ever used. The real keyboard was so much better and I had a lot less typos.

The Pre slider was and still is a great idea, but was built poorly and many of us had serious issues. Now if the next generation was the same style, just thinner and more robust, I would be in heaven.
    Loving my Pixi. Yes I am a guy and own a Pixi, get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by davecttt View Post
    Virtual keyboards are only loved by a few. If given a chance, most people prefer a physical keyboard hands down. Out of 5,095 people, 50.3% preferred physical keyboards while only 39.5% preferred virtual keyboards.
    Ha ha. 'Most' people prefer a physical keyboard hands down - by 0.3%! While 'only' 49.7% prefer something else. It's a landslide win for physical keyboards! Here - I graphed your stats up in a pie chart - please point out the 'hands down' winning physical keyboard side.
    http://deb8.us/media/thumbs/pie_50.jpg

Employment tip: Do not seek a career in market research.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Ha ha. 'Most' people prefer a physical keyboard hands down - by 0.3%! While 'only' 49.7% prefer something else. It's a landslide win for physical keyboards! Here - I graphed your stats up in a pie chart - please point out the 'hands down' winning physical keyboard side.
    http://deb8.us/media/thumbs/pie_50.jpg

Employment tip: Do not seek a career in market research.
    Kupe;

I think that this is going to be an interesting thing to watch, truly.

MOST cell phone users world wide are still using "dumb-phones" - 3 billion phones in the world, approximately 200 - 300 million are smartphones (and smartphones have either a hardware or virtual keyboard, or both, right?).

When those other 2.75 billion start buying smartphones, coming from their telephone keypad dumb-phones... that's the way to see what the real preferences are.

I do remember when I was using my Treo 650, and my daughter was still using her brand new RazR. I looked at her sideways when she texted her friends with the that phone keypad, and told me it "wasn't so bad". Yeah, right, I would think. "I'd rather push a mack truck uphill", was my usual thought, at the time! LOL.

Her next phone was the Tmoible sidekick - needless to say, after using that, she never understood how she dealt without a real keypad.

Fast forward to this year, she now has an HTC HD2 - that huge screen makes the virutal keyboard in portrait mode utterly usable for her. I rarely see her text in landscape mode. She says the virtual keyboard is "not as good as a real keyboard, but, at this size, its more than sufficient".

See the evolution?

It'll be interesting to see how the rest of the world transitions, over the coming years.
    Last edited by LCGuy; 09/17/2010 at 06:58 PM.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Whatever they do, don't call it anything like Pixi again.

-Craig
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    Whatever they do, don't call it anything like Pixi again.

-Craig
    Amen to that brother..
    Make a simplified comparison; Pre and Pixi has the exact same specs and only differs in form factor - I would choose a Pixi over the Pre!
    Quote Originally Posted by autodidact View Post
    Make a simplified comparison; Pre and Pixi has the exact same specs and only differs in form factor - I would choose a Pixi over the Pre!
    +1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast