Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21
  1.    #1  
    I stopped into a local sprint store yesterday to check out some of the new
    4G phones and I have to say, the size of the pre is just perfect to me. I have a sprint pre and an iphone 4 and as nice and cool as the screens on some of the other phones are, I wouldn't want one for everyday use due to the size of the those monsters. Iphone is as large as I would go and the shape feel and size of the pre is just perfect to me.

    I know there is an audience for the larger screens evidenced by the continued development and hot sales of them, but if I wanted larger, a tablet would make more sense for the occaisional times when larger would be needed... (movies, some browsing, etc.)

    Just not sure I want to carry a 4" or larger phone in my pocket on a daily basis. I hope palm stays true to form factor with next device. Anything larger than an iphone (as a phone) would not be cool. How about a phone the same size and a tablet with a 7" screen...? what do you say HPalm?
  2. #2  
    I think i'd like a tablet with a screen the size of legal paper, it just seems like it would fit so nicely and make it perfect for document edit/printing, and a very comfortable time-trusted size.


    But I'm right there with you, I could go thinner and maybe a little more visible screen, but too much and you've basically got a mini-tablet phone that makes it look like your talking to a flat brick.
  3. mike5's Avatar
    Posts
    762 Posts
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    #3  
    Though I love my Pre, I have to disagree. I think the size of the iPhone (3.5") is the minimal requirement now for new phones. The market really has spoken, IMO. Does it have to be as big as 4.3"--Evo--no, but I think 3.1" is out for future smart phones. For high end video or for office work/files, most people want to take advantage of high quality, larger screens.
  4. jkeitz's Avatar
    Posts
    318 Posts
    Global Posts
    614 Global Posts
    #4  
    I've gotta agree. I like being able to fit the Pre in my pocket. I don't need a little tablet poking out of my pocket all day just begging to be cracked. The Pre is also a comfortable size to hold for phone conversations. I hope that if they do introduce larger models in the future that they keep smaller ones as an option for those of us who like them.
  5.    #5  
    Wow imagine that... More than two options for a phone running webOS now that would be a great concept!
  6. #6  
    Well, in one corner, you have a bunch of high-end 3.7-4.3-inch screen devices selling out with Verizon and Sprint barely able to keep them in stock at $200-$250. In the other corner, you have a bunch of 3.1-inch screen Pre phones gathering dust in warehouses with HP paying people with a gift card to take them if they sign a contract.

    Now, if you were the decision maker at HP and had a fiduciary responsibility to help the company succeed in all future product launches, would you go with option B or go with option A and risk alienating some people at Precentral.net?

    Hmmm.....
  7. #7  
    My evo fits fine in my work pants and my jeans. In fact, less bulge than a Pre because its thinner.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Well, in one corner, you have a bunch of high-end 3.7-4.3-inch screen devices selling out with Verizon and Sprint barely able to keep them in stock at $200-$250. In the other corner, you have a bunch of 3.1-inch screen Pre phones gathering dust in warehouses with HP paying people with a gift card to take them if they sign a contract.

    Now, if you were the decision maker at HP and had a fiduciary responsibility to help the company succeed in all future product launches, would you go with option B or go with option A and risk alienating some people at Precentral.net?

    Hmmm.....
    Point taken... I'm just hopeful that they don't go crazy with a 4.3" screen for the main phone device. And I don't mean to hate on the larger screens, they are awesome, I just think it would be better served as a reasonalble sized tablet... Make sense? I saw a concept somewhere that had a phone inbedded in a tablet. Can't remember where it was, but it looked pretty cool and was an interesting concept.

    And to both of our points, If I were the decision maker trying to satisfy the fiduciary responsibility, I'd go after Samsung or HTC and introduce enough hardware to capture every bit of market share possible. Granted it would take time, but with HP's pocket book, tell me it's not possible. Obviously Sammy and HTC have a head start in this area, but HP used to own the PDA market and with webOS on their hardware could make a legit run at android and iOS products.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman1113 View Post
    Wow imagine that... More than two options for a phone running webOS now that would be a great concept!
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Well, in one corner, you have a bunch of high-end 3.7-4.3-inch screen devices selling out with Verizon and Sprint barely able to keep them in stock at $200-$250. In the other corner, you have a bunch of 3.1-inch screen Pre phones gathering dust in warehouses with HP paying people with a gift card to take them if they sign a contract.

    Now, if you were the decision maker at HP and had a fiduciary responsibility to help the company succeed in all future product launches, would you go with option B or go with option A and risk alienating some people at Precentral.net?

    Hmmm.....
    Initially, I'm pretty sure they'll go larger...simply because of the trending that mikah talks about. Future releases will surely include a smaller "pixi"-nated device.

    I just suspect they're probably devoting a lot of energy to working up a more regular release schedule, a new webOS device being introduced every month or every couple of months. Phone - boom....printer - boom...tablet - boom...phone - boom...etc. etc...

    It will really keep the attention on webOS and keep it in the public eye. That's been the biggest problem so far...just keeping it fresh and interesting.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    My evo fits fine in my work pants and my jeans. In fact, less bulge than a Pre because its thinner.
    Brain, some of us might need the extra buldge just kidding...

    I know the EVO is thin, but you gotta admit it's big. I can sit with my pre in the front pocket of my jeans and while I haven't tried it with an EVO, I gotta think it would be a bit tougher.

    I am not saying the pre couldn't stand to be a bit larger, but I don't know about EVO size...
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman1113 View Post
    Brain, some of us might need the extra buldge just kidding...

    I know the EVO is thin, but you gotta admit it's big. I can sit with my pre in the front pocket of my jeans and while I haven't tried it with an EVO, I gotta think it would be a bit tougher.

    I am not saying the pre couldn't stand to be a bit larger, but I don't know about EVO size...
    i say galaxy s size would be perfect with the same screen resolution and with out the keyboard.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by jkeitz View Post
    I've gotta agree. I like being able to fit the Pre in my pocket. I don't need a little tablet poking out of my pocket all day just begging to be cracked. The Pre is also a comfortable size to hold for phone conversations. I hope that if they do introduce larger models in the future that they keep smaller ones as an option for those of us who like them.
    have you watch you tube videos on the epic compare to the pre? or read emails on the evo,and if you haved then that is why bigger is soooooo much better.
    Last edited by electrical1213; 09/15/2010 at 01:28 PM.
  13. #13  
    There are several reasons why the larger screens are popular, and will increase in demand, overall. I don't think that they will preclude the smaller screens, but, they will be, IMO, just as popular:

    1. Virtual keyboards: smaller screens in portrait mode, for the average user, are difficult to use. The larger the screen with phones with a 3:2 aspect ratio (like the Pre and the iPhone family), the more width the screen will have in portrait mode, providing a better on screen keyboard usability. There is a "grey area", IMO, in size, here, around the 3.5 - 3.8" screen sizes, as to whether they should have a physical keyboard or not, but any smaller would make a virtual keyboard so difficult to use and therefore make the physical keyboard a requirement, IMO, just as the Pre, Pixi, etc..

    2. Work area/screen size: depending on the resolution, of course, the amount of information that can be shown on the screen can be extensive, and the bigger the screen the less zooming one has to do in web pages, spreadsheets, and pdf documents.

    3. Gaming: onscreen controls make gaming on smaller screens incredibly cumbersome, as the fingers often get in the way of important visible elements of the game.

    I don't personally believe in "one size fits all". I think everyone has thier preferences, and they will vote with thier purchases. My personal guess is that the Pre 2 and successor WebOS devices will come in a variety of screen sizes and hardware configurations to accommodate the most widely desired uses... the argument of a phone being "small enough to fit inside a pocket" is 15 years old now, and still, they are trending bigger and bigger, as they arent "phones" any more, but portable computing devices...

    Last edited by LCGuy; 09/15/2010 at 04:18 PM.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    the argument of a phone being "small enough to fit inside a pocket" is 15 years old now, and still, they are trending bigger and bigger, as they arent "phones" any more, but portable computing devices...

    that's actually still one of my big (no pun intended) preferences...that i can fit it in my jeans or shorts pocket. i absolutely despise the idea, the feel and the appearance of a phone on a belt clip.
  15. #15  
    I think i am on the 4-inch screen bandwagon...but i want the new Pre to have at least a 3.7

    i've been Pro-Keyboard for years now...but after playing with Swype on my brother's Epic, not having one wouldnt be the end of the world.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman1113 View Post
    Brain, some of us might need the extra buldge just kidding...

    I know the EVO is thin, but you gotta admit it's big. I can sit with my pre in the front pocket of my jeans and while I haven't tried it with an EVO, I gotta think it would be a bit tougher.

    I am not saying the pre couldn't stand to be a bit larger, but I don't know about EVO size...
    Honestly i thought it would be...but its not. I'd say while sitting its tougher to remove from my pocket than the Pre. But i haven't felt uncomfortable sitting with it at all.

    And it really is ODD looking at other devices. Looking at an iPod touch recently it felt like i was going to crush the thing haha.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by j_grouchy View Post
    that's actually still one of my big (no pun intended) preferences...that i can fit it in my jeans or shorts pocket. i absolutely despise the idea, the feel and the appearance of a phone on a belt clip.
    Understood.

    Perhaps this is the reason that the newer smartphones that do have bigger screens have much smaller borders (distance between the screen and the edge of the phone) on them, so that the screen is almost the entire size of the phone - or most of it.

    A bigger screen doesnt necessarily mean a proprtionately bigger phone... even the Pre has excess border reale estate which, if designed today, would be minimized to accommodate a larger screen size, without making the overall phone that much larger.

    My daughter's HTC HD2 is a 4.3" diagnal screen - so much of that is the actual screen itself, so, it isnt really as big as you would imagine - and she loves it, especially typing on the portrait virtual keyboard!

    My Pre+ with the GRT case is only 7/8" shorter and 1/4" (total, not each side) narrower than her HTC HD2 in her gel case (god help me, she has so many colored cases!), actually. It's really not that big a difference, when it comes down to it, IMO, given that the Pre has only a 3.1" diagnal screen, versus the HD2's 4.3" diagnal screen, BUT, the HUGE display on the HD2 is just so appealing.. its literally 33% larger than the Pre!!!
    Last edited by LCGuy; 09/15/2010 at 04:16 PM.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

  18. #18  
    There's no reason they can't co-exist. Rather than doing what they did with the Pre and the Pixi where they made the Pixi with slower hardware they could make a large and a smaller device with similar internal specs. The most logical thing I can see them doing is making a larger, possibly touchscreen-only device to compete with the iPhone and Evo while using the current Pre design as a base for a smaller, slider kb phone to meet the wants of that segment. And the hardware differences between the two devices only need to be "skin deep" and could have similarly powered internals.
  19. #19  
    I think the issue is bezel...you can have a big screen and still have a nice pocketable phone, if the bezel is minimal/nonexistent like the Evo.

    The iPhone actually is not very good in this regard. There's a whole lot of wasted space that could be devoted to screen without increasing the footprint at all.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    My evo fits fine in my work pants and my jeans. In fact, less bulge than a Pre because its thinner.
    I think the same form a hair bigger with edge to edge screen and a killer keyboard would be awesome. It does seem the market and Palm are committed to other form factors - I just hope they don't ditch this one.

    I could really use graffiti - I hope they get that figured out for the tablet.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions