1.    #1  
    To yesterday's tweet brew ha ha.
    rahulsood: This is not a test...
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, “I don't need to drink to have fun.” Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
    Good post morrison0880

Rahul had plenty of general yet exciting things to say....

You will certainly see products released over the next 12 months, some sooner than others, and some which are very exciting to me. The stuff that excites me the most are the new form factors. Now, when I said "over the next 12 months," I really mean over the next 12 months. Not at the end of 12 months, not tomorrow...but over the next 12 months we will see the makings of a new portfolio and the beginning of something great again. There is no predefined window of opportunity in the technology business; lack of innovation is the only thing that closes the window.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    lol good post... i almost just want to ask.... sooooooooo that being said.. whats the over under on 3 months? LoL
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    Good post morrison0880

Rahul had plenty of general yet exciting things to say....
    Yeah, it wasn't anything I didn't expect, and I'm glad he responded. Had a little FB exchange with him last night to. It's always nice to hear directly from the source. Now, hopefully people will know that Rahul isn't going to be the one leaking any device info, so anything he says can be taken as excitement, not a hint at what's coming up. Leaks may come, but it's not going to be from Mr. Sood.
    BTW, between blogs, tweeting, and watching Dexter, I'm really curious as to how this guy gets anything done!
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, “I don't need to drink to have fun.” Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
    Here's Rahul's answer on his blog:rahulsood: This is not a test...

A passionate community beyond comparison...

Let me start by saying I think the Palm webOS community is nothing short of amazing. They have hung in there through thick & thin. They are rabid supporters of the company they love. They’re evangelists, they’re fans, they’re critics, and they help make Palm a better company.

Case in point: @releasemypre. This guy is using humor to deal with a very sore point that the Palm webOS community has been facing for awhile now. I think it’s pretty cool that he can poke fun at a serious situation yet get people to rally behind an idea to make our product experience better.

I know *exactly* where the community is coming from, I've been there. I once was the head of a company that had an amazing community that helped build our brand. They kept us honest, and they helped us create a better experience for our customers. If not for them we would never have reached the level we did. I am a big advocate of community, and when I first engaged the webOS community prior to the deal with HP being final I was taken back by how devoted they are.

Yesterday was a little rough for me because people kept asking when the next webOS product announcement would be. Someone asked me if there would be an announcement next week, and I said "... don't expect anything soon, please stop asking ‘when’ --- I would rather be straight with you. these things take time...." I was responding to a question about the immediate future, but many of my Twitter followers didn’t see the full context.

You will certainly see products released over the next 12 months, some sooner than others, and some which are very exciting to me. The stuff that excites me the most are the new form factors. Now, when I said "over the next 12 months," I really mean over the next 12 months. Not at the end of 12 months, not tomorrow...but over the next 12 months we will see the makings of a new portfolio and the beginning of something great again. There is no predefined window of opportunity in the technology business; lack of innovation is the only thing that closes the window.

There are challenges when you bring together two companies with distinct cultures. Palm was once a much smaller company with less access to resources than HP. HP, on the other hand is large: that's the understatement of the year. We know the good that "large" can bring, and we also know the challenges that come with it.

There are great things to come that fit multiple types of consumers. Over time you will see the community grow. You will see app developers flock to HP as they jockey for position in the catalog. All of this may sound like a dream but it’s completely attainable.

I'm confident that even the defectors of the webOS community will be back once they see the breadth of product coming out of HP in the future.

I know it's hard to judge someone’s tone from a tweet. I started this blog by saying I’m a big advocate of community, and part of being an advocate is making sure the people that are evangelizing your company remain evangelists for years to come. It also means being open and honest with you. After yesterdays storm I understand how touchy the subject of “new hardware” is with the community. That said, I had no intentions of opening up old wounds.

Visiting the mothership

I met a number of great people including leads in hardware, software, developer relations, communications and PRPRPR. $I$ $had$ $a$ $one$ $hour$ $meeting$ $with$ $Ruby$ $as$ $well$. $It$ $was$ $a$ $good$ $trip$ $overall$.

When I walked into building three (referred to as the wart away from everything else) memories of my past came back immediately. This is the team that creates webOS, and they're quite a passionate group of people. I was really impressed with them, the stuff they’re working on is really cool. The culture is awesome, it’s a dream job for any software developer or interface designer.

While you may have read rumors on the Internet about people leaving the company, what you haven't read is how things are being recharged and re-energized for the better. I was there, I’ve seen it first hand. Things are settling down now, and while challenges still remain, people are focused on the future.

So what’s next?

I’m still looking at ways that I can personally add value to the organization. My history in the gaming industry fits in well, as does my experience in roadmap design, strategy, and communications. Nothing is official, however, so I will continue to help wherever I can.

Developers: get on board!

One of the early successes of webOS has been the development of the PDK. I love how dialed it is. The ease in which developers can port their games over to webOS is impressive.

If you’re a game developer with a title on another mobile operating system, you should think about planting a money tree in your yard by spending a couple of days porting your game(s) over to webOS for some additional gravy. Use it as a bonus for your staff -- how appreciative would they be? You’ll also have a chance to win additional money from Palm in the Palm Hot Apps contest that’s currently running. I am certain it won’t cost you any additional cycles to make it a reality. (Rovio ported Angry Birds in less than a couple of days to webOS and it became the top selling app within a week!)

Oh by the way, both AT&T and Verizon just pushed 1.4.5 over last night. What this means to developers is another base of our customers can order your games and play them now!

Summary

Once again I will summarize what I said above;

* HP Palm is working on both smartphones and other web-connected devices.
    * HP Palm is committed to delivering webOS on a wide range of devices.
    * I don’t believe the “window of opportunity” ever really closes in this business. As long as there’s innovation, there’s always a window in.
    * If you’re a developer, why not take a day to port your game over to Palm for some additional gravy and a chance to win some big cash?
    * Verizon & AT&T 1.4.5 FTW!
    * Until a press release is issued, we can’t talk about it.
    * Stay tuned, and thanks for the patience and support...and thanks for keeping the candle lit!
    WebOS still makes sense.
    <<Thread Merged>>
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    But it was heyday for the resident trolls (yes, I'm looking at the sleepy guy who shall not be named) already...
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    It's cool with me, I like the idea of multiple form factors. Do it right or don't do it at all Palm. I can wait a bit longer, it'll give me time to save more money in case there's some super awesome device later.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stroven Taulrok View Post
    It's cool with me, I like the idea of multiple form factors. Do it right or don't do it at all Palm. I can wait a bit longer, it'll give me time to save more money in case there's some super awesome device later.
    Get a tablet for the kitchen...

That's my lil dream, and a new portrait slider.
    You know the Precentral team is working on a blog post for this as we speak
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    After reading his blog this morning, I feel I have all the info I need. My Pre is fine, I am now excited for Spring... maybe sooner!
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Get a tablet for the kitchen...

That's my lil dream, and a new portrait slider.
    Haha, heck yeah, attach it to the fridge and find a way for it to tell you when you're out of something and have it sync to a grocery list on your Palm Phone that will tell you where to find the best deal for the item. ahhhh, much better.
    Wanted to share with the community my reaction (I also left this as a comment on his original post):

Rahul Sood's post can be found on his official blog.

Alright, so it has been said dozens of times over but I feel like I need to weigh in. I was going to write a quick Tweet to you Rahul but I can't really express my disappointment in one Tweet. First let me say I really like my Pre (Sprint) and have enjoyed using the device over the past year and a half or so. It was a tough choice for me to choose it over the Hero, but I think AT THE TIME I made the right decision. However now I question it almost every time I open my keyboard and feel it wobble like crazy, especially when I use Heros which have been dropped, hit, and just beat up, and they are still in better shape than my Pre. So I've got to ask, why should I stick around for something that I may not see for months and months and keep using a phone that is already 1.5 generations behind what is out there for HTC, Apple, and Motorola? I like webOS a lot, but some serious changes need to happen to the software and hardware, soon, too keep me around and to draw others in. So the following is a bit more on my frustration and hopes (or lack there of) I suppose.

My overall issue with this whole topic is twofold, software and hardware. I am not going to say any phone or platform is perfect, and some of the competitors out there have the same problems to different degrees. First with software, I know it is a first gen OS and this is the part about my phone I love the most, but still an update to 2.0 is much needed. That update has to blow every other OS out of the water for HP/Palm to actually make some gains in the market, but you know this. To those that have made other comments along the lines of "I use patches, themes, and other tweaks all the time to make the Pre awesome," all I have to say is that I do as well (not themes so much) but there is a flaw with this mentality. The same flaw exists on Android as well, why should I have to spend so much time reworking the software, patching, homebrew, overclocking, and so on just to get the OS to be great, it should be great out of the box, and it was, a year ago. Other than the notifications and the way it multitasks it is far behind. We need new innovative ways to make it stand out from the crowd because frankly the "it has cards, and look at how it handles notifications," argument just isn't cutting it anymore. In addition to the OS issues (if you need to know specifics just look at the top downloaded patches for the launcher, calendar, browser, etc etc etc) the App Catalog is in huge need of a boost. We need more super high quality apps that actually fill a need rather than do something stupid or only work half the time. I'm not a developer but I have thought of learning, but seriously at this point why would I pick a platform that is so dated with platforms like Android and iOS? Get some developers to come over to our side, cater to them, kiss their feet, pay them tons of money, whatever it takes so that people can see that the ecosystem of apps is getting better not just growing.

Now to hardware, I don't need to run through the flaws of my Pre, you know as well as I do it has flaws and what they are. So why is anew device not being announced or teased? At least tease something to get people excited! Saying something is awesome is not going to do it either, think of all the times companies have said that and failed to produce something that was awesome, no one is listening to the hype because in the tech world words do not speak volumes unless they are going along with an actual piece of hardware someone can see is awesome. Saying that there are new devices going to be released over the next twelve months is ridiculous because no one wants to wait that long. There are newer, better, faster, and higher quality devices being released by your competitors each month practically, or at most every several months. If HP/Palm decided they can sit back and take their time to even show something off or tease something and people will flock to them to buy their device they are crazy. We aren't all wealthy or have the money to drop carriers or upgrade early ever six months. If I am going to stay with webOS and Palm I need to see some hardware by the end of the year. I have an upgrade coming up and I am shopping for it already looking at current phones, and upcoming ones, and well obviously that doesn't, no, CAN'T, include HP/Palm because there is nothing to look at or look forward to, other than something that I hear is supposed to be awesome. Well, I can't make calls on "awesome," I can't surf the internet on "awesome," I can't do anything with just "awesome," it is a word, not a device. There are a lot of us in this position Rahul and a lot of us are going to switch, or already have, and we wont be coming back for a while because we will already have a new device we love on a platform that is more tried and true.

I can stay I'm going to stick around for webOS 2.0, but if it doesn't completely blow my mind and if it isn't the best mobile OS out there, I'm going to have to switch just so I can be productive, so I don't have to kill my battery overclocking, so I don't have to spend time finding patches to make my phone work how it should, and so I can just have something that works well and doesn't make me worry it is going to break every time I use it. I'm sorry to be so blunt, it is nothing against you personally or against HP/Palm, you guys just need to give us more than saying it's going to be awesome. I'm not a "fan" of anything, which may be why I'm a good test, there aren't a lot of "fans" out there I don't think they are just heard the most because they are so vocal. I'm a social studies teacher and I'm a huge geek (seriously HUGE), I keep up on this stuff because it interests me not because it is some weird fetish. I'm always reading reviews and articles on other devices and I get more and more bummed that my phone is so far behind. I just want a great device that will work great for me in my everyday life as a teacher and a geek, and frankly my Palm Pre is barely keeping up with what I know is out there. I want to stay with Palm but I've got to be realistic, I just can't keep a two year old device, especially with these hardware issues, come time to upgrade. I Hope something grand is in my future from HP/Palm, but honestly I'm not getting my hopes at this point because by the time it comes, I may have left. So at least tease a little something (hardware) or there are going to be a lot more of us with the same feelings. I hope I haven't offended you. Have a great day and all the best!

-Joshua

Hope this spoke for some others in the community besides myself! Look forward to your reactions either here or send me some @joshuasepos on Twitter! Have a great week all!
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 09/14/2010 at 09:14 PM. Reason: Auto censored Language
    Quote Originally Posted by LupeValenz View Post
    You know the Precentral team is working on a blog post for this as we speak
    This must be one long blog post O.O
    <<Thread Merged>>
    Sprint|Samsung Epic