1.    #1  
    Sure, they got hardware coming out, but is our userbase big enough that they need to worry about losing us before sending out the next line of products?

Thoughts?
    Not at all considering that every 2 weeks there are the same number of Android phones activated as WebOS users.

We are a tiny faction so loosint us won't matter at all to them.
    I don't think they're too worried about losing us. Most of us are still here waiting for them.
    We're like a bunch of clingy girlfriends nagging them for what we want.
    I'm sure they want to keep goodwill with their base, but as a new owner of a favorite sports team once said (paraphrase).... "there are fans, and there are customers, and as a business we need to be concerned with the customers"

I understand what they are thinking. The entire collection of PreCentral citizens will not keep Palm/HP afloat. They need to make moves which will build their customer base. If they do, at least they will have the opportunity to make it up to the fans later (cheap hardware upgrades with no contract extension, maybe).

But, ff they do not pull in enough customers to sustain the business...
    Hp needs new customers. the current webos user base is too small to be profitable. Im sure they will respect the old users but the webos user base is so small they have to entice new users more then appease old users. just common sense and good business sense.
    As I posted in another thread, it's predicted that 500+ million smartphones will be sold in 2014 alone. That compares to less than 100 million for 2010, and of course a tiny fraction of that in Palm users that HP/Palm might want to stop from switching over. HP/Palm has to take a longer-term view of the market--it won't be won or lost in the next three months.

That said, I think switching is silly. webOS is already outstanding, even on my Sprint Pre, and webOS 2.0 is going to be incredible. And when hardware is released, be that next month or in Q1 2011, it'll be even better. I have a hard time understanding what's so profound in other platforms that a person sees the need to switch right now.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by vincenzo View Post
    Sure, they got hardware coming out, but is our userbase big enough that they need to worry about losing us before sending out the next line of products?

Thoughts?
    HP is after a much bigger market than the current users of webOS devices. It's not like they won't listen to your comments, it's just that they won't pay them much bother if they disagree with their plans.

Face it - the current webOS community is along for the ride now and HP is in the driver's seat.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    As I posted in another thread, it's predicted that 500+ million smartphones will be sold in 2014 alone. That compares to less than 100 million for 2010, and of course a tiny fraction of that in Palm users that HP/Palm might want to stop from switching over. HP/Palm has to take a longer-term view of the market--it won't be won or lost in the next three months.

That said, I think switching is silly. webOS is already outstanding, even on my Sprint Pre, and webOS 2.0 is going to be incredible. And when hardware is released, be that next month or in Q1 2011, it'll be even better. I have a hard time understanding what's so profound in other platforms that a person sees the need to switch right now.
    Speed
    consistency
    apps
    SPEED
    ecosystem (Apple with itunes, Android with google)
    hardware choices

List could go on and on. Why not switch right now? Most sprint customers with a Pre get a yearly upgrade...why not switch now, get the next Palm device (if its good) next year?
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    The thing is, tho, just because the pie is going to grow exponentially doesn't mean that the percentages will be open to change radically. The strategies that propel Apple or Google to market domination now will allow them to retain that and use it to crush lesser rivals when the market quintuples in size.

It's certainly possibly that HP could pull a Microsoft and wedge into the front of the market as MS did with Xbox. But you have to remember, Xbox was the first to bring a gaming ecosystem - Xbox Live - to the table, along with the killer app that was Halo. WebOS hasn't had a killer app yet, and its biggest rivals (WP7, Android, and Apple) all have ecosystems in place whereas HP has none. Whatever longer view they are going to take, the foundation needs to appear in the short term.