Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    that being said do you think that HP could have gotten their hands on this chipset ahead of time, to release on a smartphone device for the holidays?
    WWW;

I think its VERY safe to say that PALM, and any potential licensee of the TI OMAP series of chips will have their hands on samples early on in the design stage of their product development - I can't say for sure that they do, but, this all kind of fits together very well.

The gestures/hovering references are way to similar to ignore here- and the multi-display statements appear to be way more than coincidental, as well.

So, chalk this up to "rumor" with an added exclamation mark at the end!

As for the next WebOS smartphone... I anticipate that one to be the TI OMAP4430 dual core with 1Ghz clock speed, and that was sampling to licensees as early as February/2009, according to thier PRPRPR. $This$, $I$ $believe$, $has$ $to$ $be$ $well$ $along$ $the$ $way$ $into$ $production$ $by$ $now$, $if$ $the$ $Pre$ $2$ $is$ $coming$ $this$ $late$ $fall$/$early$ $winter$ - $remember$, $PALM$ $was$ $the$ $first$ $to$ $license$ $the$ $OMAP$ $3430$ $from$ $TI$ .

IMO, of course.
    Last edited by LCGuy; 09/14/2010 at 04:35 PM.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    Ok, now this is interesting, relative to this video I posted from TI in another thread, which shows, clearly, what thier plans are for the OMAP4 chips - the "hovering" referred to in the above post is in direct line with the TI planned implementations for this, startng in 2011.

I still believe that we will see new hardware this year (Pre2, as per WebOSworld's supersonical's prongostications), but the the above referenced device is a planned future unit for 2011 - it would imlement the TI OMAP 4440 chip, with higher clock speeds and dual core performance, along with multiscreen display and gesturing UI (non-touch screen enabled as per the video above).

The higher resolution hints that this could be the first WebOS pad, though, if you put the two posts above together.

See?
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
    Now if Rub stated over the next 12 months we should be worried, because he is on that team in developing smartphones.
    I honestly don't get this mentality. "Over the next 12 months" starts today and ends 12 months from now. What's wrong with that?
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    WWW;

I think its VERY safe to say that PALM, and any potential licensee of the TI OMAP series of chips will have their hands on samples early on in the design stage of their product development - I can't say for sure that they do, but, this all kind of fits together very well.

The gestures/hovering references are way to similar to ignore here- and the multi-display statements appear to be way more than coincidental, as well.

So, chalk this up to "rumor" with an added exclamation mark at the end!

As for the next WebOS smartphone... I anticipate that one to be the TI OMAP4430 dual core with 1Ghz clock speed, and that was sampling to licensees as early as February/2009, according to thier PRPRPR. $This$, $I$ $believe$, $has$ $to$ $be$ $well$ $along$ $the$ $way$ $into$ $production$ $by$ $now$, $if$ $the$ $Pre$ $2$ $is$ $coming$ $this$ $late$ $fall$/$early$ $winter$ - $remember$, $PALM$ $was$ $the$ $first$ $to$ $license$ $the$ $OMAP$ $3430$ $from$ $TI$ .

IMO, of course.
    ok which makes sense to see a smartphone this fall running the TI OMAP 4430 running 1ghz, then releasing atleast the tablet running the new TI OMAP 4440 2011. Makes sense to me hopefully it all comes to light, and jackson over at webosworld states a insider stating a announcment via HPalm and Sprint by November before WP7 debouts, so Ill like others keep my fingers crossed.
    More emails from Jackson:
    There will be a picture up tonight to show how legit we are. it's not of a palm device, but still something yet to be leaked out.
    We are going to be doing a segment that is sort of like how does webOS stand up to (insert OS). We currenly have a picture of another device which we are doing the comparing to, and hopefully this should be proof to people that we do have correct inside info
    I was really hoping it would be a webOS device. I'm thinking it's most likely yet another HTC Android leak.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    not what I meant by saying that statement, i meant that people are bent on Raul making that statment when he is not in the production booth with RUB and company developing the devices currently. So if Rub has stated a time frame like that, and he is in direct contact with what new smartphones are coming then Id be more worried about something not coming this fall. Of course they have a roadmap what company dosent, even the smallest of ones. Last time I checked Todd Bradley, the head of HP's smartphone division was running the smartphone development show not Rahul Sood.
    Apologize if I misunderstood. Problem is, in Rahul's blog he said there would be multiple devices/form factors during the next 12 months. That is why I don't mind if RUB said the same thing.

I agree w/you, though, that Rahul doesn't work on the production end & he had to make a special trip to Palm & to the specific buildings to see the guys who are. This doesn't mean he is not kept up to date, but certainly not the same thing. The fact that he says he is excited about future form factors has me excited.
    webos world just unveiled (haha) a pic of the new wm7 phone..

the laugh was for use of the word unveiled not at webosworld..
    a 4G WM7 phone for Sprint? uh-oh
    the hardware for wm7 is great, but wm7 doesn't excite me like webos does. I'm tempted to try it out tho
    can somebody post a pic or something thanks
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Can't see much, but here is the article w/the blurry picture.

LG WP7 Phone Caught by Mr Blurry Cam
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Can't see much, but here is the article w/the blurry picture.

LG WP7 Phone Caught by Mr Blurry Cam
    That blurry cam pic is totally useless. I am also hoping hard that Sprint gets a WP7 that has a physical keyboard. That pic is of something that is too thin to have a keyboard.

I am getting impatient. 6/9 Pre user here, but if Palm doesn't make an announcement for a 2011 phone by the time WP7's come out, I am probably bailing.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    I honestly don't get this mentality. "Over the next 12 months" starts today and ends 12 months from now. What's wrong with that?
    I agree I dont see nothing wrong with stating such, but to me I wouldnt suggest such things if he isnt really authorized to say anything yet. To me it seems he had to clear up what he said about what people will say when they see the new device opening up the flood gates, though hes human so we all make mistakes. Lets hope sooner then later, and with my insiders and Jacksons over at webosworld they say sooner.
    I'm thinking that Mr. Sood is getting some flak from folks at HP/Palm as well as from everyone reading his various posts. When Sood goes quiet about webOS, that's when you'll know something is coming--his handlers at HP will want him to lay low so as not to tip anything accidentally. I love him, but he's a PRPRPR $nightmare$ $waiting$ $to$ $happen$.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    I think Mr. Sood is doing exactly what HP wants him to do: keep a little Palm buzz flame going. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if this task was given to him by his superiors. "Palm Evangelist" if you will.

Don't get me wrong, I've thoroughly enjoyed Sood's ramblings and agree with most of them.
    Ok, I just read this very strange article on Gizmodo about a phone that some Russians are working on.

I'll try and post the link.

Russia Developing Its Own Double-Screened 4G Smartphone for Next Year

Headline is: Russia Developing Its Own Double-Screened 4G Smartphone for Next Year

Does say who is going to sell this phone! Maybe it's being manufactured in Russia for HP/Palm.

How's that for a rumor!

But if Sood is saying that they have to come up with something totally different that will turn heads, this will surely do it, whether it's a great idea or just something crazy is something to talk about.

You do have to stop and think about it a little and just wonder?

What do you guys think?

As far as waiting for new hardware, personally, I want to stay with Palm but my phone is not holding up. So do I get another Pre when this one goes bad, or give Android a try and hope I'm not so amazed that I come back.

I don't think I can wait longer than six months at this point, which is what from what I am reading, is what everyone is willing to wait but longer than that, HP/Palm will have a problem. I think to many of us might have to leave, not because we want to, but because our present hardware doesn't hold up longer enough.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

pic

(palm needs a kickass logo, I love how that little green guy keeps popping up everywhere)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    **Please stay On-Topic guys... this thread is to discuss Rahul Sood's comments. We have other threads for discussing other hardware and OS's.
    Just wanted to point out that Rahul Sood has been really quite with regards to Palm/webOS since the "not anytime soon" tweet. I have not seen a mention of webOS or Palm in his twitter or blog since his clarification post on the 14th. Do you think he was told to stop talking about Palm or is this the calm before the storm? (I'm inclined to believe the former).
    Last edited by zulfaqar621; 09/22/2010 at 02:14 PM. Reason: spelling, pointed out by morrison :-)
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast