Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    I understand folks being antsy, but in the big picture, a bunch of palm fanatics clamoring over a new device is not as important in the grand scheme as having the roadmap executed well. If it takes longer than you'd like to get those pieces lined up, it's a bummer, but they can't cater to the diehards; they must try to lure new users.

The smartphone arena is exploding. A few months will not make or break them, despite the emergence of newer and better phones. An ill timed launch with a half baked product (pre first time around) is more detrimental than a delayed launch with all the pieces in place.
    this is just my personal oppinion, but i think that HPalm should have a special incentive for the people that A) stuck through the release of the pre+ on verizon and att, and then B) for the people that stuck with their pre on sprint when the Evo was released and now that the Epic has been released... just my thought and 2cents
    Quote Originally Posted by kjb86 View Post
    well said
    I disagree. I'm glad he is happy with his Pre. However the HW is dated and it was never all that hot to begin with (hw builds release on sprint were pretty crappy). Aside from the hardware, I'm personally tired of finding support for 3rd party apps for Iphone, Andriod and BB....oh darn look, I'm sol again: No WebOS support.
    Quote Originally Posted by gmleonar View Post
    this is just my personal oppinion, but i think that HPalm should have a special incentive for the people that A) stuck through the release of the pre+ on verizon and att, and then B) for the people that stuck with their pre on sprint when the Evo was released and now that the Epic has been released... just my thought and 2cents
    How about those of us who have stuck it out since Handspring?

Personally, I think we should be given medals.
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    what does everyone think about jackson over at webosworld having info (rumor) stating a insider says that sprint will announce the C40 aka roadrunner hd before window phone 7 is launched and the earliest this month.[/url]
    I saw that announcement, but you know, I still think the C40 (if it's rumored to be called roadrunner hd) will be a form of a tablet. I only say that because some of the apps on the ipad (such as Angry Birds) are labelled with HD. Sure, a phone can display HD today, but I'm just wondering myself what that means.
    Quote Originally Posted by torourke View Post
    I understand folks being antsy, but in the big picture, a bunch of palm fanatics clamoring over a new device is not as important in the grand scheme as having the roadmap executed well. If it takes longer than you'd like to get those pieces lined up, it's a bummer, but they can't cater to the diehards; they must try to lure new users.

The smartphone arena is exploding. A few months will not make or break them, despite the emergence of newer and better phones. An ill timed launch with a half baked product (pre first time around) is more detrimental than a delayed launch with all the pieces in place.
    Well said. HP shouldn't be distracted by the few remaining webOS users and should press on with their own roadmap. The Palm roadmap failed and HP is left with a do-over. Best to wait and make sure this do-over a winner than to keep meandering down the poorly executed roadmap Palm put together in 2009.
    And I think it should be said: what does everyone think HP/Palm is doing? Do you think there's a decision they're making to delay releasing new devices? Or are they--and this seems to make the most sense--pressing on with all due haste toward the best possible devices in the shortest possible time?

I mean, seriously: I can pretty much state with some certainty that they're not sitting around putting down wagers on just how hot and bothered they can get the webOS community. There's not some device sitting there just waiting to be released, and they're choosing not to release it just to spite us.

Ultimately, all of these discussions come down the to same thing: what can they do. Everything else is purely academic.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    I can wait.

Day one Pre + Seidio battery + 1 GHz kernel = a hot rod.

all that + webOS 2.0 = a B.A.M.

no worries if Rubenstein and company take the time to do it right.
    Did anyone see Rahul's later tweet today?

"#webOS community ur all awesome! i'll get blog out 2morrow stay tuned & pls don't misinterpret my tweet frm earlier. will explain in blog!"

Hopefully he'll explain that "not soon" meant 1-2 months instead of 12.

EDIT: Ah yes, you did. I'm late to the party.
    I'm over due for an upgrade... 2 months in now. Rahul basically told us to "STFU". Let us remind him that many of us have been patiently waiting for months for this new "hardware". We are the demanders! We expect results or some information to keep us well informed of a new device coming. But, people like me that are well over due for an upgrade, are tempted to jump ship. I have 4 friends, including me using a Palm Pre. 2 of them already have switched to the EVO. The third is waiting eagerly just as I am. I haven't switched because there is no 4G coverage here. But again, like I said I am tempted to switch. When Rahul told us this stuff takes time... I basically flipped! I really didn't expect that. What a cheap excuse. They are too busy playing and testing out that lame "flexi-screen idea" That is why we are still without a new device. Everyone is talking about how Palm has cash flow now. Well HP...? Money well spent! And as for Rahul (if your reading this), get ready for a wave of backlash... >.>!!!
    Cingular 3125 --> Samsung Instink! --> Palm Pre --> ???
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Palmac06 View Post
    I'm over due for an upgrade... 2 months in now. Rahul basically told us to "STFU". Let us remind him that many of us have been patiently waiting for months for this new "hardware". We are the demanders! We expect results or some information to keep us well informed of a new device coming. But, people like me that are well over due for an upgrade, are tempted to jump ship. I have 4 friends, including me using a Palm Pre. 2 of them already have switched to the EVO. The third is waiting eagerly just as I am. I haven't switched because there is no 4G coverage here. But again, like I said I am tempted to switch. When Rahul told us this stuff takes time... I basically flipped! I really didn't expect that. What a cheap excuse. They are too busy playing and testing out that lame "flexi-screen idea" That is why we are still without a new device. Everyone is talking about how Palm has cash flow now. Well HP...? Money well spent! And as for Rahul (if your reading this), get ready for a wave of backlash... >.>!!!
    This just adds to the original comments when it was said that Palm was not bought to make smartphones. Its been a while since they that and still no news or information leaked since then even though they said that it was not true and that smartphones were in their future.
    If they do come with a phone it seems like that is not what really intrests HPalm.
    I really wonder what they will be sayin tomorrow in regards to what was said today. Today's comments have put me in the mindset that i have to try some of the new hardware out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jcibrian View Post
    This just adds to the original comments when it was said that Palm was not bought to make smartphones. Its been a while since they that and still no news or information leaked since then even though they said that it was not true and that smartphones were in their future.
    If they do come with a phone it seems like that is not what really intrests HPalm.
    I really wonder what they will be sayin tomorrow in regards to what was said today. Today's comments have put me in the mindset that i have to try some of the new hardware out there.
    I know... they have been pulling our chains here... And quite frankly, I am tired of it. All of us are tired of it. Ok lets see what he has to say... (or is it?) Could be reading the company's script lol... ugh let it be some type of good new... please...
    Rahul is not our enemy, he's one of the few who has tried to reach out to us as a community. It's true that perhaps he needs to be more careful with what he tweets, but he does not deserve your scorn. We need to understand that he has made himself vulnerable in his job and his reputation in becoming a friend to the Palm community, and we should be protecting him for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Palmac06 View Post
    You're owed nothing by HP/Palm. You do realize that you're "flipping out" over a mobile phone? Why such loyalty to a company? Go get another phone and when/if another WebOS phone is released then sell your new phone and get it.
    Global Posts
    215 Global Posts
    He said 12 months because they are releasing the HD, the MiniHD and the Tablet. That would be a 12 month period. They WILL be releasing a phone within a couple months time. It's on their roadmap that HP has approved.
    Sprint Palm 2 - Developer Mode - 2.1.0
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    You're owed nothing by HP/Palm. You do realize that you're "flipping out" over a mobile phone? Why such loyalty to a company? Go get another phone and when/if another WebOS phone is released then sell your new phone and get it.
    I am loyal to Palm. You can't just say that to me alone only. Many others like me, feel the same way! Look at Palm, quiet in the dark corner... I don't want them to be! Look at bad boy Apple and Android.. they are really the only two major players out there! Yes, we (or I) get a bit frustrated, not because we want a new device, it's because we want Palm to succeed. But we only hear grim news about Palm back-to-back, it just makes us go a little off top for a moment. I do understand their situation. Yes, they are a small company. Yes, HP bought them out. But I want them to grow and make WebOS a key OS in today's mobile market. So yes. I am flipping out sir! But as for Rahul, Yes he is trying to reach out and bring us some assurance to bringing us comfort. I'm just a bit optimistic about him. Is he really our friend or is he just there to yank our chains... We as a community. I guess we're barking a little to loud for them. Tehe
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    I won't be going anywhere yet even though I am up for a SP customer update.

I have thought about apps and touchstone and just not sure how much I want to invest at this point. I am a casual smartphone user with some business needs for work.

I am sure I am not alone in these thoughts and I would really like to embrace the platform, I think WebOS is "all that and a bag of chips" but some timeline and an indication of range of devices would be helpful.

I would also like to see HP/Palm come out with a real mobile touchstone solution and a larger capacity battery/touchstone solution. This is beyond the apps (open office, pdf rendering, true exchange interactivity, etc.)

Just my thoughts since we all put this crap out there
    Dan
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Welp, if HP is going to outapple apple like they claim they want to do, then loyalty is key. Apple has cults sacrificing animals in Jobs' name. There's even a couple of apple clowns running around here still trying to convince people the glory of using a big ipod touch.

That means of course buying a used marketing 101 textbook and really paying attention to those P's.

Go get another phone with a different OS you say? And spend money on more apps, accessories, etc? That adds up. If you're Palm, you really don't want your customers going to another phone. Odds are, they won't be back. This is why i still have such a hard time understanding why Palm didn't give Sprint the Plus version long ago.
    Patience is a Virtue.
    Clarification from Sood on this promised Blog:

A passionate community beyond comparison...

Let me start by saying I think the Palm webOS community is nothing short of amazing. They have hung in there through thick & thin. They are rabid supporters of the company they love. They’re evangelists, they’re fans, they’re critics, and they help make Palm a better company.

Case in point: @releasemypre. This guy is using humor to deal with a very sore point that the Palm webOS community has been facing for awhile now. I think it’s pretty cool that he can poke fun at a serious situation yet get people to rally behind an idea to make our product experience better.

I know *exactly* where the community is coming from, I've been there. I once was the head of a company that had an amazing community that helped build our brand. They kept us honest, and they helped us create a better experience for our customers. If not for them we would never have reached the level we did. I am a big advocate of community, and when I first engaged the webOS community prior to the deal with HP being final I was taken back by how devoted they are.

Yesterday was a little rough for me because people kept asking when the next webOS product announcement would be. Someone asked me if there would be an announcement next week, and I said "... don't expect anything soon, please stop asking ‘when’ --- I would rather be straight with you. these things take time...." I was responding to a question about the immediate future, but many of my Twitter followers didn’t see the full context.

You will certainly see products released over the next 12 months, some sooner than others, and some which are very exciting to me. The stuff that excites me the most are the new form factors. Now, when I said "over the next 12 months," I really mean over the next 12 months. Not at the end of 12 months, not tomorrow...but over the next 12 months we will see the makings of a new portfolio and the beginning of something great again. There is no predefined window of opportunity in the technology business; lack of innovation is the only thing that closes the window.

There are challenges when you bring together two companies with distinct cultures. Palm was once a much smaller company with less access to resources than HP. HP, on the other hand is large: that's the understatement of the year. We know the good that "large" can bring, and we also know the challenges that come with it.

There are great things to come that fit multiple types of consumers. Over time you will see the community grow. You will see app developers flock to HP as they jockey for position in the catalog. All of this may sound like a dream but it’s completely attainable.

I'm confident that even the defectors of the webOS community will be back once they see the breadth of product coming out of HP in the future.

I know it's hard to judge someone’s tone from a tweet. I started this blog by saying I’m a big advocate of community, and part of being an advocate is making sure the people that are evangelizing your company remain evangelists for years to come. It also means being open and honest with you. After yesterdays storm I understand how touchy the subject of “new hardware” is with the community. That said, I had no intentions of opening up old wounds.

Visiting the mothership

I met a number of great people including leads in hardware, software, developer relations, communications and PRPRPR. $I$ $had$ $a$ $one$ $hour$ $meeting$ $with$ $Ruby$ $as$ $well$. $It$ $was$ $a$ $good$ $trip$ $overall$.

When I walked into building three (referred to as the wart away from everything else) memories of my past came back immediately. This is the team that creates webOS, and they're quite a passionate group of people. I was really impressed with them, the stuff they’re working on is really cool. The culture is awesome, it’s a dream job for any software developer or interface designer.

While you may have read rumors on the Internet about people leaving the company, what you haven't read is how things are being recharged and re-energized for the better. I was there, I’ve seen it first hand. Things are settling down now, and while challenges still remain, people are focused on the future.

So what’s next?

I’m still looking at ways that I can personally add value to the organization. My history in the gaming industry fits in well, as does my experience in roadmap design, strategy, and communications. Nothing is official, however, so I will continue to help wherever I can.

Developers: get on board!

One of the early successes of webOS has been the development of the PDK. I love how dialed it is. The ease in which developers can port their games over to webOS is impressive.

If you’re a game developer with a title on another mobile operating system, you should think about planting a money tree in your yard by spending a couple of days porting your game(s) over to webOS for some additional gravy. Use it as a bonus for your staff -- how appreciative would they be? You’ll also have a chance to win additional money from Palm in the Palm Hot Apps contest that’s currently running. I am certain it won’t cost you any additional cycles to make it a reality. (Rovio ported Angry Birds in less than a couple of days to webOS and it became the top selling app within a week!)

Oh by the way, both AT&T and Verizon just pushed 1.4.5 over last night. What this means to developers is another base of our customers can order your games and play them now!

Summary

Once again I will summarize what I said above;

* HP Palm is working on both smartphones and other web-connected devices.
    * HP Palm is committed to delivering webOS on a wide range of devices.
    * I don’t believe the “window of opportunity” ever really closes in this business. As long as there’s innovation, there’s always a window in.
    * If you’re a developer, why not take a day to port your game over to Palm for some additional gravy and a chance to win some big cash?
    * Verizon & AT&T 1.4.5 FTW!
    * Until a press release is issued, we can’t talk about it.
    * Stay tuned, and thanks for the patience and support...and thanks for keeping the candle lit!