Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    I think everyone needs to stop betting their lives on new hardware, but that's just MO!

If you're happy with your current device, then fine, go ahead and wait out the next.

However, if you really have that many issues, then move on to something else. You can always return to Palm later, if you really wish!

I'll probably stick around to play with 2.0 for awhile, but with no new hardware coming, I'll go play with a different gadget, probably an Android something or other.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    What a disaster for them. The more they wait the less people there are even using Webos. they will have to start on the ground floor. Blackberrys are trying to up there marjet , the new Windows mobile phones are a coming . Android is taking over and Iphone is well Iphone. by the time a new webos phone is out this site will probally be a ghost town. I really wish HTC had purchased Palm. there would be 3-4 new phones out already probally. I love palm and will always love the company. (past stock holder) but what a mess . Far as I am concerned this is HP now and Palm is gone. Poor pre users have been stuck with old hardware for a long time and to wait another 12 months.
    This just posted on Twitter hmmmmmmm

rahulsood RT @Solema: "I have many friends who would happily stay with Palm if HP would just say "we're working on new phones."" // of course we are!
    If HTC had purchased Palm, there would be no WebOS phones coming out EVAR (not 3-4) they would be using the IP of Palm to ramp up their skin of Android. Why take unfinished software and try and finish API's when you are not a software company, when you could piggy back all the IP of Palm's portfolio to make the ultimate Android skin where Google is already enhancing the base OS that is FREE for HTC to get.
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Great

Palm was working on new hardware 9 months ago ....

Any company that produces cell phones or any technology product is always working on new .....

Give the fans something helpful
    Dan
    Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    My $.02: I am by no means a super-user. I am mostly a joe-average guy who is somewhat up on current technology and got my Pre about one month after lauch so I had time to see what people where saying before I jumped in. I am mostly pleased. That being said: I received my issue of PCWORLD today; there is a great article about "must have apps for your smartphone; and they have apps for BB, Android, and iPhone. Not a mention of our WebOS. Now, I have always stood up for the underdog and hate going with the pack. And it's not all about the (lack of) apps for me but I do feel like we with WebOS are just getting lost in the dust of all of the other activity.

"Not soon" to me seems like a very, very long way away.
    Hey, does this mean that the OP from last week saying that next week there would be an annoucement was right? I guess even a broken clock is right twice a day!!!
    .,;-#$^***^$#-;,.

Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    And you're probably spending more money on Android apps and taking greater advantage of Google services too.

I think HP doesn't understand that the grass IS greener on the other side and people who switch from WebOS to Android or iOS will actually be happy with their new phones.
    Just like with my Pre I only used the free apps which there is a plethora of them on Android...this makes it easier to jump if I had to but I don't think I will I like Android.
    Quote Originally Posted by djmcgee View Post
    Great

Palm was working on new hardware 9 months ago ....

Any company that produces cell phones or any technology product is always working on new .....

Give the fans something helpful
    As much as I like how vocal Rahul Sood is as compared to the rest of HP and Palm, djmcgee is right and this isn't any help. If anything he's making it worse. We all know they're working on something new the only thing we want to know is when and obviously they aren't going to tell us anytime soon so teasing us to keep us loyal in my opinion will only make matters worse.

How many angry webOS users do you think are out there that are angry over the lack of new hardware still. I know I am.
    Android has Angry Birds now. My last reason for staying (besides Classic and Pocket Quicken) may have just gone *poof* like a bird hitting a pig...
    Palm Pilot --> Palm M130 --> Kyocera 7135 --> Treo 650 --> Palm Centro --> PALM PRE!
    I wonder: how many current Palm users remain who HP/Palm could convince to stay with the platform if they only released new hardware in, say, October? And how does that number compare with the 500+ million smartphones predicted to be sold in 2014 alone?

Folks, I really don't think that it makes much of a difference to HP/Palm's long-term prospects whether they get a smartphone out in 2010 or in the early part of 2011. It makes a tremendous difference to us, of course, but HP/Palm simply must take a longer-term, much more strategic position. Maybe they'll come out with something sooner, and that would be great, but the smartphone market is not going to be won or lost in the next three months.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    I've had a suspicion after the buyout that webOS for smartphones would be less of a priority and take a back seat to other form factors such as tablets, this latest statement that new smartphone hardware will not come out any time soon is reaffirming my suspicion.
    "not anytime soon" is way too vague for people even to extrapolate an interpretation of what he was trying to post in this "update", and pretty significant details have been leaked out over ther past month about 2.0 which they have stated will b out by the end of the year... so what does this tell me? he didnt say any "mobile handset" wont be announced anytime soon, and that the "mobile handset timeline over the next 12 months", hes using general terms purposely to b vague. i would call this a genious strategy, cuz in all reality when is the last time that webos has been buzzing around the town with 2 big "announcements" like these that have dropped over the past month. i think when he was talking about the product timeline over the next 12 months, i think he was talking about inter-connected devices but then again i have no idea. all i kno is that i have not seen such a topic become flamed so much or discussed about since lets say the release of the video recording update. something is coming, and its coming soon, and this "bad news" is still news and look how much of an uproar it got the community into... u want a date? oct 21st...
    i really can't understand you ppl.

Have a Pre since nearly a year now. Switched to Pre Plus in July.

This is a great phone. Even 1 1/2 years after announcement it doesn't feel old in any way.

webOS 2.0 is 'round the corner and will most likely make my phone feel like 'like butter' and give it a second life.

I don't need new hardware, I am VERY satisfied with the old one and I am really amused with seeing you all burning through cash with rather senseless 'upgrade' wishes where there is hardly anything you could upgrade to.

Sure, there are still areas where webOS has to catch up with the others. But hardware power definitely is not such an area.
    It's all just about fully using the capabilities of the hardware.
    And that's what webOS 2.0 is supposed to do, when you read the lines from Palm Developer Day back in April. This matches with what rahul sood twittered about webOS 2.0.
    Can't talk more on this because of NDA.

Looking forward to see many threads like 'don't need new hardware anymore, SO happy with webOS 2.0 on my Pre'.

You misuderstand the purpose of having new hardware: it's not about having something new just for beeing something new but to get something better. And for the moment (besides some manufacturing issues that definitely have been solved since months), I don't exactly see on which maior area the Palm can't compete with the other top notch phones.
    And don't forget: size is no comparison, your Pre did not shrink while it got older but is intended to have exactly this size.
    If you think it's too small, you had other possibilities when you buyed it. Nothing to blame Palm for.

I suggest you stop wasting money with senseless buy of another phone just to have a new one. Stay with your Pre. Save the money. Even think twice if you really need a new device once new Palm hardware comes out.
    I don't know what hardware is next from Palm. But I certainly don't upgrade just to have a new phone until it doesn't provide really needed new functionality over my Pre.

Only things I can think about now, would be LTE and a _really_ good camera.
    But even those would let me think twice if it's worth it or if I would wait to the 2nd successor to upgrade.

The thing I really wait for, is a tablet though. And this one will almost for sure be announced at CES. That's perfect.
    I have that patience.
    Yeah it was Angry Birds and Sling Player for me. once Sling said they would not support Webos due to not enough users of webos I knew it was time and Angry Birds made it complete. I sling all day and missed it so much.

Quote Originally Posted by LynnL_ View Post
    Android has Angry Birds now. My last reason for staying (besides Classic and Pocket Quicken) may have just gone *poof* like a bird hitting a pig...
    Quote Originally Posted by rot View Post
    i really can't understand you ppl.

Have a Pre since nearly a year now. Switched to Pre Plus in July.

This is a great phone. Even 1 1/2 years after announcement it doesn't feel old in any way.

webOS 2.0 is 'round the corner and will most likely make my phone feel like 'like butter' and give it a second life.

I don't need new hardware, I am VERY satisfied with the old one and I am really amused with seeing you all burning through cash with rather senseless 'upgrade' wishes where there is hardly anything you could upgrade to.

Sure, there are still areas where webOS has to catch up with the others. But hardware power definitely is not such an area.
    It's all just about fully using the capabilities of the hardware.
    And that's what webOS 2.0 is supposed to do, when you read the lines from Palm Developer Day back in April. This matches with what rahul sood twittered about webOS 2.0.
    Can't talk more on this because of NDA.

Looking forward to see many threads like 'don't need new hardware anymore, SO happy with webOS 2.0 on my Pre'.

You misuderstand the purpose of having new hardware: it's not about having something new just for beeing something new but to get something better. And for the moment (besides some manufacturing issues that definitely have been solved since months), I don't exactly see on which maior area the Palm can't compete with the other top notch phones.
    And don't forget: size is no comparison, your Pre did not shrink while it got older but is intended to have exactly this size.
    If you think it's too small, you had other possibilities when you buyed it. Nothing to blame Palm for.

I suggest you stop wasting money with senseless buy of another phone just to have a new one. Stay with your Pre. Save the money. Even think twice if you really need a new device once new Palm hardware comes out.
    I don't know what hardware is next from Palm. But I certainly don't upgrade just to have a new phone until it doesn't provide really needed new functionality over my Pre.

Only things I can think about now, would be LTE and a _really_ good camera.
    But even those would let me think twice if it's worth it or if I would wait to the 2nd successor to upgrade.

The thing I really wait for, is a tablet though. And this one will almost for sure be announced at CES. That's perfect.
    I have that patience.
    well said
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    One thing we shouldn't be doing is piling on Rahul........we should be thanking the man, even if we don't like what he has to say. He is the ONLY person from HPalm who is even speaking up and saying anything. Like most, I'm disappointed there is no new hardware on the immediate horizon, but like I said, I appreciate his honesty.

What's keeping me with Palm is the fact I really don't like the EVO (and I've tried to like it) and the Epic feels cheap. If I were on Verizon, I'd be gone. So until Sprint comes out with a higher quality phone, I suppose I'll hang around for 2.0
    You are absolutely right. In fact, Palm should just release webOS 2.0 for current Pre/Pixi and call it a day and just stop producing new hardware.

You see its been almost 2 years since we first saw the Pre and >15 months since the original pre came out (which I bought on release day and still use). Right now, the Pre Plus is a midrange phone at best with no chance of competing with the higher end phones on the market. With the current hardware, there is no way that we are going to get quality apps because the user base will not grow until something that can compete with the EVOs and iPhone 4s comes out from Palm. Right now, most of my friends think I am crazy that I have not the EVO/Epic but rather am waiting for an announcement from Palm. Software only gets you so far, and the way the smartphone market is, only high end hardware can truly get people's attention.
    what does everyone think about jackson over at webosworld having info (rumor) stating a insider says that sprint will announce the C40 aka roadrunner hd before window phone 7 is launched and the earliest this month.

Palm Devices to be Announced Prior to WP7 Release?
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    lots of complaing.......but sad to say the Pre is still the BEST smartPHONE on the market.

Iphone is the Coolest and EVO is Fast but Pre is all around best form factor and most important single hand PHONE.

With the awesome Pre Community patches make the phone do the things we need to make it the best still.

Lets be patient and loyal we will be rewarded like we were when we got the Pre.