Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    despite what he said, I expect an announcement before this holiday season. I bet he's just sayin stuff like this so that HP sanctioned 'Leaks' will be more potent.
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    But the larger the bandwagon for Android becomes the less likely it is that WebOS will really gain a foothold in the smartphone market. Every month is a loss of thousands of potential users. All because there is nothing new coming or because there are no announcements of anything coming.

Silence.

Eventually some of us may need to get new phones and will likely move on because the next WebOS phone or update is "soon".

HP/Palm may get squeezed out of the smartphone market just do to silence and inactivity.

We shall see

I will wait but there may come a time
    Dan
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchettjack View Post
    I'm sure he could care the less if you stopped following him...
    or couldn't
    Point the fingers at Ruby! Not Rahul. Rahul is pretty much all we got. He's the only one sticking his neck out and admitting that hes trying webos. Also, hes giving us updates. Why shot the messenger?
    If you want to buy a Palm Pre is great condition. Here's your chance.

http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...91#post2782191
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    despite what he said, I expect an announcement before this holiday season. I bet he's just sayin stuff like this so that HP sanctioned 'Leaks' will be more potent.
    What, the same Rahul Sood who cries at length on his twitter about "Leaks R bad guyz!" I doubt it.

The more interesting take is that if we don't get any new hardware soon, webOS 2.0 is going to launch on the devices we already have without any new hardware in place. This seriously takes down my excitement for webOS 2.0 - with no new hardware, there's only so much we can expect in terms of performance enhancement, new apps, and features.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    I love how everyone wants a time frame from him, so he say's "not soon", and people still want to believe that it's coming soon and he's intentionaly lying to us.

I had a feeling this was going to be the case, which is why I went ahead with my free upgrade to a shiny new Pre last week. It's starting to look more and more like that was a good use of my upgrade.

Plus the free $50 HP Giftcard was nice too.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    I couldn't wait any longer. I switched to a Samsung Epic. I honestly love this phone.

Palm its going to lose a lot of ppl who were loyal just because. Allowing them to branch off could prove dangerous. very loyal palm consumer and now I'm not sure if I wanna come back especially if their next device doesn't blow me away
    Last edited by Bmwillz; 09/13/2010 at 01:52 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bmwillz View Post
    I couldn't wait any longer. I switched to a Samsung Epic. I honestly love this phone.

Palm its going to lose a lot of ppl who started loyal just because. Allowing them to branch off could prove dangerous. very loyal palm consumer and now I'm not sure is I wanna come back especially of the next device doesn't blue mute away
    I assume this was typed on the Epic's onscreen keyboard?
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    I always knew we wasn't seeing any new hardware anytime soon. I'm good with my pre until then... Actually, I don't want anything new this year. I think it would be a lot better sometime next year. Drop a new phone when others aren't expecting it at that time. This way we won't be disappointed. :-D
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    These things take time.

True. You know what doesn't take time? Going out to buy a new smartphone. You just stop by the store at lunch or after work. Some things take no time at all.

I predict we are going to hear a lot less from Mr. Sood. If you going to be doing a lot of talking, people are reasonably going to expect that you have something to say. Again, they aren't following your tweets because of your fascinating life and personality.
    He's also right about people wanting hot hardware. Unfortunately for HP, the best hardware is coming from Apple, HTC, Samsung and Motorola.
    Paaaammmmmmm (typed with my verizon keyboard hence missing and multiple entries)
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Soon could mean anything. Next week? Next month? Two months? Obviously with Palm looking to release a tablet next year, something will be happening much sooner than 12 months. I wouldn't interpret that as no new phone till next September. The question is whether webOS 2.0 will debut as something for the current hardware, the upcoming tablet, or the next gen phones?
    I understand the hardware frustrations that many have...esp sprint customers who have been waiting over a yr for new devices. Keep in mind however that most vzw and att customers are under relatively new contracts. I think for us, getting the 2.0 update (yes I know, the 1.4.5 update is not out yet for us) will be just as satisfying as a new device, since we won't be eligble for a while. What's also important is that hp use it's "scale" to get more devices out into the hands of people even if they have to give out devices for free, release a new intermediate device (with minor but competitive hardware upgrades), and really push some of the bigger companies to make apps for us.

I think too many of us are waiting for a grand slam device too soon. I think it will come, but not anytime soon as rahul tweeted. It does take time. But if they can do the small things, it will keep current palm users at bay.

I just don't understand why so many people threat that if palm doesn't do this now they will run to android. What's so special about android? Why not go to the iphone, blackberry, or new windows phone 7? Trust me, many android devices have similar hardware issues, and many many software bugs, no matter how much carriers "claim" they thoroughly test them. And the fragmentation is ridiculous. Take vzw. Droid 2 and droid X are about the same just different form factors. But the lg ally is an older version of android, the samsung fascinate has a crippled gps and doesn't even use google as a search engine (hows that for a google android phone?), the incredible is just now getting updated to froyo,and the devour is/was a joke. And the user interface of android is confusing, and in my experience, the same as windows mobile with a custom widgetized mobile shell.
    Lol yes using swype. I sent it in by accident without going over.
    Quote Originally Posted by sudoer View Post
    Of course we (and they) all know this to be true. This is good for Android. Lots of folks here are trying it out, some are hating it and others can "get used to it" (without more than a few day's effort). None love it out of the box. It's really a matter of which is more painful, less than robust hardware or good hardware and a "less than nice" (at least at first) OS. Palm loosing loyalst market share to the Android platform will hopefully send HP/Palm the message to NOT use a marginal-to-3rd-rate manufacturer again. We don't want C R A P anymore !!!

PS: Note that the Palm Pre components were first rate, bu the design and engineering of them into a single unit sucked work guts!
    While that's true with the current iteration of Android do realize with this suggested timeline from HP/Palm, Android will have probably released 2 maybe even 3 major releases.

Android 3.0 is also a complete UI overhaul, by none other than the guy responsible for the WebOS UX/UI. So who know's what the future has in store.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    While that's true with the current iteration of Android do realize with this suggested timeline from HP/Palm, Android will have probably released 2 maybe even 3 major releases.

Android 3.0 is also a complete UI overhaul, by none other than the guy responsible for the WebOS UX/UI. So who know's what the future has in store.
    Plus, there's an excellent chance that Apple will redesign iOS' weakest UI element -- its modal notifications -- with help from the guy responsible for WebOS' notification model too. The few competitive edges WebOS has in UX may very well be diminished, if not completely eroded, by the time we're actually able to buy something from HP.
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    What, the same Rahul Sood who cries at length on his twitter about "Leaks R bad guyz!" I doubt it.

The more interesting take is that if we don't get any new hardware soon, webOS 2.0 is going to launch on the devices we already have without any new hardware in place. This seriously takes down my excitement for webOS 2.0 - with no new hardware, there's only so much we can expect in terms of performance enhancement, new apps, and features.
    I personally am not against the idea of 2.0 launching on current hardware (as long as it lives up to the hype), this will keep people around just a lil while longer and ensure that the new device launches with a fully baked OS. Not announcing the new hardware until 2.0 has been succesfully launched allows HP/Palm to ensure the OS is ready for prime time, and that the OS and new phone aren't stale before launch (no more 6 month release windows from announcement). Getting the OS in the hands of the users also acts to tide over the end user if you aren't going to roll out new hardware on every carrier on the same date. Officially webos is supported by something like 8 carriers around the world (just ball parking off the top of my head), 5 of those being in North America.

I would say there is zero chance all carriers get new hardware the same day, too many variables to control, combined with what will hopefully be a small window from official announcement to release. Add to all that the fact that current users are still calling for anywhere from 3 to 5 form factors, plus the upcoming tablet...
    As a longtime Palm "early adopter" who bought the Pre in 6/09, I'm now stuck with an aging device that is out of warranty, and starting to crumble (USB cover long gone, surrounding plastic cracking, keyboard slider wobble getting worse by the minute, etc). I'll be damned if I'm going to BUY another Pre and renew my 2 yr contract with Sprint just to keep using a WebOS device. If Verizon offers the iPhone in January, and HP/Palm hasn't released anything new by then, I'm gone.
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    I think "dont expect anything soon" has pretty much made up my mind.

I'll be putting in my order for the EVO at the end of this month.

Unless WP7 comes out with something before then......
    Depending on how 2.0 changes performance...

could always get a pixi. Better keyboard and hardware and size.

I would rather have a good product even it needs more time to cook. I went android and it's not what it's cracked up to be. If someone moves to android and new webos hardware comes out many people will go back.
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast