Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    With android releasing new phones monthly and apple yearly where do you think hp should fall?
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    I buy a new phone every year.
    I think yearly is perfectly acceptable.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Android doesn't release phones. Different companies (HTC, Motorola, Pantech, LG, Samsung, Sony Ericsson, etc.) release phones that run Android. Big difference, and all told, there are several per month being released.
    I agree with yearly. But with two or three different models, we should get to see newness twice a year.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    + 1
    low, middle, high end phones released at different parts of the year and refreshed annually. and if i were so greedy, the high-end line would have 3 versions: portrait slider, landscape slider, and a slab with a virtual keyboard... and that's not even mentioning the tablets or netbooks or toasters!!
    Being a loyal Palm user for a long time, I've gotten used to scarcity. I only need a new phone when there's a really compelling reason to switch. Since the price of smartphones has come down substantially, once a year (if the phone is good, or if I might want to try out a new development platform) is fine. That said, I agree that we need more variety in the WebOS hardware if we HoPe for the platform to ever become competitive.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    only when this one dies or I need (not kust want) something the current phone can't do. My phones generally last 2 or 3 years.
    I usually get 2 or 3 years out of a phone but I think that Palm should release a new phone model about every 4 to 6 months.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
  11.    #11  
    I chose a poor name for this post. What i really meant to say was how often do you believe HP should release new hardware. I am curious to see what they come up with. I do not think Palm or HP has the following to go with one phone a year plan like apple, but i do not think that one manufacture can pump out one a month like Android phones. I am just really curious to see what happy medium they come up with.

My guess is different form factors every 4 months or so. Then the only question is when do you do OS evolutions. Apple has it easy because they do a year between hardware refreshes and no one feels cheated. Google just doesn't care. So where is Hp going to fall. they can not release a handset and then 4 months later Jump a generation with non supported functions or can they?
    I want to see twice a year. Doesn't have to be the same model but better (like Apple), but we should be hearing from HP about a new device every 6 months.

That'll keep them in the news, and us wanting more. .
    Well since I have had to replace my Pre 3 times this past year....I guess 3 would be ideal!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I'd like to see annual HP updates to high, low and mid level phones, but I'd also like to see them eventually license the OS out to other manufacturers, within a year of releasing their own efforts.
    Just once a year really. A slab and an optional landscape slider. Dump the Pre & Pixi asap.
    It takes a lot of work and focus to make a phone. It takes an order of magnitude more work and focus to make a good phone. HP is not a phone manufacturer. They have never made a phone that was popular with end users. Now, some of you want them to put out three or four a year. What you will end you with is the Pre and Pixi all over again, only worse.

Here's a thought. HP should see if they can manage one good phone. They should then pour in the necessary resources to market and distribute it. I suspect, rather than putting out a new phone shortly after the first one, they will need to spend some time and attention on updating the first one and keeping it up to speed. Keeping users from being bored is a poor reason to put out a new phone.
    <<Thread Renamed>>

Once a year is good but as has been said for multiple devices, thus giving you 2 to 4 device launches per year.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    It takes a lot of work and focus to make a phone. It takes an order of magnitude more work and focus to make a good phone. HP is not a phone manufacturer. They have never made a phone that was popular with end users. Now, some of you want them to put out three or four a year. What you will end you with is the Pre and Pixi all over again, only worse.

Here's a thought. HP should see if they can manage one good phone. They should then pour in the necessary resources to market and distribute it. I suspect, rather than putting out a new phone shortly after the first one, they will need to spend some time and attention on updating the first one and keeping it up to speed. Keeping users from being bored is a poor reason to put out a new phone.
    I think what you mean is that HP is not a phone designer. They can and do manufacture generic phones that nobody gives a darn about. Palm CAN design a phone and they can design one that is popular with end users. They just haven't in quite some time.

I think the design really just needs to be up to par with the rest of the market. The standout - what will get end users - was and is WebOS, and they have really got to whip that into shape before pumping money into trying to relaunch it. Otherwise, HP will almost be like American Nokia, but without the marketshare.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    B.HP. (Before HP) I would say once a year, but A.HP. I'd like to see a yearly update for each device, first a Pre update, six months later the Pixi (please rename ), six months after that another Pre update...and the wheel keeps turning. From a strictly marketing perspective I think HP should keep a lower end model as a way to introduce WebOS to folks not quite ready to spend $200 on a phone.

Of course from an engineering and focus point of view having only one device allows HP the opportunity to develop a brand around a single device, and spend development money on new features without worrying about whether or not they'll work on a lower end device.
    Quote Originally Posted by solarus View Post
    Of course from an engineering and focus point of view having only one device allows HP the opportunity to develop a brand around a single device, and spend development money on new features without worrying about whether or not they'll work on a lower end device.
    The thing is, we already know they're scaling this to a bunch of different devices, so the only brand they can really develop is WebOS.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast