1.    #1  
    I just sold my Treo 270 on eBay and purchased a SonyEricsson T68 through VoiceStream...until I figure out what kind of PDA/Phone combo I want to buy.

This is the best comparison of reception I can think of since I am using the same service in the same locations.

I no longer lose reception at all in my house. I would consistently lose reception on my Treo if I walked to far into the center of my home. My signal does go down, but I never lose my signal.

I no longer lose reception at work (about 15 miles from my home)where I did at the same location in the office everytime I walked down the hall. Again reception bars go down but never under two.

This very extremely unscientific test proves to me that the reception on the Treos is weaker than some cellphones.

I couldn't bring myself to put the money out for the T-Mobile PocketPC...and the size bothers me as well. Alittle too big.

I'm going to wait for some more smartphones to come out later this year before I put the money out again.

By the way...the T68 is a nice phone. I can sync all of my 300 Outlook contacts to it (multiple numbers on each contact) and my entire calendar. I can also check my POP3 mail and get WAP access. It's color interface is nice. It's not as robust as the Treo but will suit my needs until something suitable comes along!
    --NickC--
    I don't blame Nick for switching phones. Nick lives around the corner from me in NJ and I only get 1 or 2 bars at home (if I'm lucky). It really sucks.

But, with that being said, my Treo 180 works great in metropolitan areas. I love having one device for everything. Love SMS with the keyboard (can't see going back to using standard phone pad). These are just a few of the things I like about it.

I just got back from UK & France and it was 4 bars almost the whole time. Of course, they only use GSM in Europe, so no wonder. SMS worked great over there, btw.

So, what's my point? I can only hope that Voicestream and other GSM carriers can compete and put more cell towers everywhere. But, how can they do that? By having more people sign up for their service versus others (CDMA, PCS, etc..) So, I applaud Nick for sticking with Voicestream and hope others will at least stick with Voicestream (or whichever GSM carrier), even if they don't like the Treo.

(okay, time for me to get off this soapbox...just my .02)
    "So, what's my point? I can only hope that Voicestream and other GSM carriers can compete and put more cell towers everywhere. But, how can they do that? By having more people sign up for their service versus others (CDMA, PCS, etc..) So, I applaud Nick for sticking with Voicestream and hope others will at least stick with Voicestream (or whichever GSM carrier), even if they don't like the Treo."

Would to God that I could get GSM. I am stuck with Verizon due to my area and coverage area's (Verizon is by far the best, SprintPCS is spotty off the main roads, no other real contenders) If GSM were here I would have had the Treo 270 when it was new.

So, we have a classic network Chicken and Egg story. Build it and they will come, come and they can build it.

Frustrating living in flyover country.
    I originally went with VoiceStream because a parent who was in my classroom for a conference had to interrupt me to answer her cell. I wasn't getting any reception with Sprint. I went through two phones prior to my Treo 270, and got little to no service in my room with either of them. Some days my Treo picks up a VoiceStream signal in my classroom...most days it doesn't. (How that parent got a call is still a mystery to me!) But all in all I've had better reception on my Treo than either of the cells I had before. I'm perfectly happy with VoiceStream.
  5.    #5  
    Don't get me wrong...I loved the Treo! (I'm still reading the message boards!)

I was just missing & dropping too many calls. Coverage is good in most metro areas which led me to test a new phone under the same service. (I figured I could take back the new phone in a couple of days if it still didn't work for me.)

Since it does, I'll stick with VoiceStream for now...unless Verizon comes out with some mega phone/pda combo that I just have to have and I'm in a position to change my number again!

Thanx!
    --NickC--
  6. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Originally posted by Alli
    I originally went with VoiceStream because a parent who was in my classroom for a conference had to interrupt me to answer her cell.
    You didn't say clearly--did that parent have a VoiceStream phone?
    My wife uses the Motorola V.60g from Voicestream and her coverage is little better than my Treo 270, perhaps the same. What we both notice is the comparison to Verizon, our previous carrier. With Verizon, a spot was either dead or not. There were several places where we always lost our connection. In contrast, I've found no "always dead" spots in Austin, but that doesn't mean Voicestream doesn't drop calls -- it is just unpredictable where and when a call will be dropped. There is a lot more variation in signal strength, too, over time. At home, in the same room, signals vary from 1 to 4 bars. This is true on both phones. Moreover, side by side, they read differently at different times -- it occasionally happens that the Treo has the stronger signal, although the signal strength doesn't seem to measure one's ability to make a static-free call very well.
    And yes, Q, the parent had a plain old Nokia VoiceStream freebie.