Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Rumor: Motorola also going with dual-core Tegra 2, not 2 GHz – Android and Me)

So the gist of the article is that several indications point to Motorola not being able to get OMAP 4 chips from TI, and so they're switching to dual-core Tegra 2 for their next top shelf devices and/or tablets. Not that the chips are spoken for...apparently TI just doesn't have them ready for this year. Thus to reach the performance they want for a tablet or phone, only the dual core Tegra is available this year. Samsung Orion is exclusive to Samsung for now, and TI and Qualcomm won't be ready to roll until 2011 with their nextgen stuff.

Now, it is possible Palm could use the OMAP 3 3640 1 ghz chip in the Droid and Droid 2 in their next phone, but wouldn't that be a rather modest step forward basically equivalent to us running the current Uberkernel by default with more powerful 3D performance?

I think - and this is just a guess like all of the other speculation here - that HP and Palm will wait for the OMAP 4, which is why the WebOS tablet is slated to be announced at the beginning of 2011 as well. I think WebOS 2.x going forward will be tuned to this spec. It would also give HP/Palm a chance to announce all of this stuff at the same time, perhaps during CES, to maximize the relaunch.
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    The author of that article is the only one who says what you're afraid of. I doubt he can be considered a reliable source.

If Palm went with Tegra 2 that wouldn't suck either. But last that was told by TI was to expect devices with OMAP4 by end of year.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by asharrop View Post
    The author of that article is the only one who says what you're afraid of. I doubt he can be considered a reliable source.

If Palm went with Tegra 2 that wouldn't suck either. But last that was told by TI was to expect devices with OMAP4 by end of year.
    I'm not afraid or concerned about anything. If the chips aren't ready to go, they should wait. The last thing a Pre user should get is identical performance to their overclocked Pre wen they drop $200 for a new WebOS handset.
    I'd be curious what you base that on. I find Taylor's articles to be well-thought-out and professional.

Yes, but those will, at best, have the 750MHz version. The 1GHz OMAP4 won't be out until 2011.
    my question is they htc has the HD3 rumored to come to Tmobile this nov 17 running 1.5 ghz which chipset is that running?

HTC's aging HD2 has recently gotten a new lease on life thanks to some intrepid hackers that ported the Android OS onto the Windows Mobile-powered handset. Unfortunately, the HD2 is about to feel a whole lot older, as a potential launch date for HTC's new HD3, aka HD7, has been revealed. According to the fine folks at TmoNews, the HD3 model for T-Mobile will be launching on November 17th. Reported specs for the HD3 include the Windows Phone 7 OS, a 4.5-inch AMOLED touchscreen, dual-core 1.5 GHz processor, 1 GB RAM, 32 GB of internal storage, an 8 megapixel camera capable of shooting HD video, and an 1800 mAh battery powering the whole show. HTC is holding a public event in London on September 15th, and rumors have stated that the company plans to unveil the HD3 at the event.

The HD2, which was originally launched in March, is starting to get pretty long in the tooth, so a November 17th release seems pretty plausible. I just hope that HTC decides to launch the HD3 on more carriers than just T-Mo, because I'm sure there are customers on other carriers that would love to get in on the 4.5-inch AMOLED goodness. HTC's event in London is only a week away, so hopefully they do plan to pull the wraps off of the HD3 at the event. Would you pick up an HD3 on T-Mobile, or is a 4.5-inch screen just a little too big?
  6.    #6  
    Probably just another 1 ghz Snapdragon. Qualcomm just announced this morning they're running behind on both the 1.5-ghz and 1.2 ghz chips, and devices featuring either shouldn't be available until next year.
    isn't there a point where speed increases will be unnoticable. And just before that point those processors will bring unnecissary costs. I can't see them waiting for a faster processor. Especially if they follow the droid release model as opposed to the iphone model
    1GHz chip sounds just fine to me. Full overclock performance with better batt life? Truthfully the chip speed is irrelevant as long as the phone does what it needs to do and does it smoothly.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Probably just another 1 ghz Snapdragon. Qualcomm just announced this morning they're running behind on both the 1.5-ghz and 1.2 ghz chips, and devices featuring either shouldn't be available until next year.
    Yeah I read that too, so Im woundering if that phone will be pushed back as well?
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    1GHz chip sounds just fine to me. Full overclock performance with better batt life? Truthfully the chip speed is irrelevant as long as the phone does what it needs to do and does it smoothly.
    Being that Uberkernel users are now essentially running 1 ghz 3640 OMAPs in their Pre devices, I can say that - for me - putting a stock chip in the next device that merely matches that performance is unacceptable unless WebOS 2.0 dramatically overhauls performance. There are still far too many instances of me having to tap the screen several times to end a call or having to wait several seconds for a song to start or for the camera app to wake up to take a photo. And boot times? The Epic 4G boots up in, like, a quarter of the time it takes for my 1ghz Pre to boot up.

I just don't think CSS transforms are going to eliminate these issues (assuming that those even make it into 2.0).
    well seeing if they redesign the phone (bigger screen, material, glass screen etc) and just put a 1ghz chipset inside, Id be fine with that considering most of the phones out right now is only clocking at 1ghz, and as sources say most new age chipset wont be out until sometime next year, so to me they wouldnt be taking to much of a little step forward, just on par with competition chipset wise.
    A 1ghz dual core will be significantly faster than ours overclocked to 1 or 1.2.
    Being that Uberkernel users are now essentially running 1 ghz 3640 OMAPs in their Pre devices, I can say that - for me - putting a stock chip in the next device that merely matches that performance is unacceptable unless WebOS 2.0 dramatically overhauls performance. There are still far too many instances of me having to tap the screen several times to end a call or having to wait several seconds for a song to start or for the camera app to wake up to take a photo. And boot times? The Epic 4G boots up in, like, a quarter of the time it takes for my 1ghz Pre to boot up.

I just don't think CSS transforms are going to eliminate these issues (assuming that those even make it into 2.0).
    Exactly...if it's a smooth operator it will be golden regardless of clock cycles.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic

An OMAP3630 at 1GHz is still better than your 3430 overclocked to 1GHz because it comes from a smaller 45nm process. So it will 1) consume a lot less power/have better battery life and 2) be capable of overclocking to higher speeds.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by xcomputerman View Post
    An OMAP3630 at 1GHz is still better than your 3430 overclocked to 1GHz because it comes from a smaller 45nm process. So it will 1) consume a lot less power/have better battery life and 2) be capable of overclocking to higher speeds.
    1) I think we've all settled into our individual prescriptions to deal with battery life. For some, it's 20 Touchstones. I keep a wall charger at my desk, one at home, and have a car charger. Better battery life would be nice, but would produce almost no change in my daily routine.
    2) True, but I'm not a buying a new device based on what I can overclock it to. Whatever my next device is, it's gotta have what I want stock or as an official downloadable app.

But that's just me.
    While clock speeds and numbers of cores are fun to talk about for us (webos fans) it doesn't really mean anything to the vast majority of people. If they update the OS in a major way which a 2.0 version seems to entail they will most likely improve performance on even our not so speedy pre's.

I won't speculate on what the new device will come with on any specifications but I am willing to bet that their will be a new device that is released before the end of calendar year 2010 with webos 2.0 installed on it.

I'm confident enough in this that I will take wagers. If anyone is confident enough that a new device will not ship with 2.0 by the end of this year put your money down, if not then I guess you are not as confident as I am.

I may not be confident enough to give you odds, but I'm condident enough for 1:1 odds
    Last edited by rich_halvorson; 09/08/2010 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Added the end and wow fan boy gets stared?
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    Only time will tell I suppose. I honestly thought that Palm already had some hardware somewhat finalized, but if they are still up in the air on procs there is no way something would be in the hands of the users for holiday season 2010. Perhaps HP has some tricks up their sleeves. I mean we are dealing with a somewhat new company, so Palms history alone is really irrelevant.
    "I will go in this way, but I'll find my own way out." -DMB

Dear Lord,
    Please grant me the ability to punch people in the face over standard TCP/IP.
    Amen.
    Quote Originally Posted by rich_halvorson View Post
    While clock speeds and numbers of cores are fun to talk about for us (webos fans) it doesn't really mean anything to the vast majority of people. If they update the OS in a major way which a 2.0 version seems to entail they will most likely improve performance on even our not so speedy pre's.
    More wishful thinking. HP will attempt to fill in the missing WebOS 1.x functionality, add in, according to these forums, a whole lot of new functionality, and somehow simultaneously learn how to make this new, larger, more feature-rich and code-laden OS into one with improved performance? Have they replaced their entire development team since WebOS 1.45 was released?
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rich_halvorson View Post

I won't speculate on what the new device will come with on any specifications but I am willing to bet that their will be a new device that is released before the end of calendar year 2010 with webos 2.0 installed on it.

I'm confident enough in this that I will take wagers. If anyone is confident enough that a new device will not ship with 2.0 by the end of this year put your money down, if not then I guess you are not as confident as I am.

I may not be confident enough to give you odds, but I'm condident enough for 1:1 odds
    I agree with you somewhat on this. A more efficient coded OS, means a more efficient device. Although when talking about apps most devs dont build from the ground up for each device. Its mostly ported... which in turn can require more horsepower to run, since they are not code solely for webOS.
    "I will go in this way, but I'll find my own way out." -DMB

Dear Lord,
    Please grant me the ability to punch people in the face over standard TCP/IP.
    Amen.
    I think changing their background services/processes from Java to Javascript will bring a dramatic performance increase by itself, as Javascript has low-level access to the hardware. So, that + CSS transforms = iPhone 3GS speeds and nerdgasms.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast