Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    Exactly...if it's a smooth operator it will be golden regardless of clock cycles.
    This!

Just give me a snappy interface, graphics that visually match or slightly exceed current gen stuff and a battery life that can handle 12 hours idle and 3 hours of talk on 1 charge.
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecut93 View Post
    Was just about to post this.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    @Kupe I'm not sure you intended your post to sound this way since you're usually quite well informed and rational however in this post you seem to imply that a larger piece of software will necessarilly be slower. However, speed of software is not a function of the size of the code but rather of the algorithms used. Hence, if Palm were to make no further changes to any 1.x code while adding new features for 2.x, then any features carried over from 1.x will perform exactly the same on 2.x.

On the other hand, if you simply mean that in 2.x there will be a whole lot more code to optimize (and Palm hasn't even improved the existing 1.x code by leaps and bounds), then I completely agree.
    It's mostly the latter although new functionality has the potential to add bloat to the OS and core programs. For example, if new features are added to the calendar, email, search, synergy, phone, internet browser, et al, it will make each of those functions more software intense. Couple that code growth with all the new things being speculated on these boards into 2.0 'by the end of the year," and there probably won't be a lot of time for optimizing all that new code for improved performance.

I can't think of an operating system release in the past decade that this hasn't been a factor (phone, PDA, or computer). It's as predictable as Moore's Law when you get down to it.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123