Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    In any case, I'm pretty sure that there are multiple iterations of the OMAP4 processors being developed, and the first iteration should already be in full production ramp. The next iteration is probably what Motorola et al are waiting for/considering jumping ship to Tegra or whatever that rumor is saying. I very strongly doubt that the first iteration will support anything more than 1GHz clock speed, but I think people need to stop getting hung up about MHz and GHz. Chip performance in embedded processors is about much more than CPU cycles per second -- you can brag about your Snapdragon clocking at 1.2GHz and I'll show you my OMAP4 at 800MHz encoding 1080p video at 30fps and handling 12MP photographs with ease.

So rest easy, people -- just wait for the announcement, whenever it comes. It should happen this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    I'd be curious what you base that on. I find Taylor's articles to be well-thought-out and professional.

Yes, but those will, at best, have the 750MHz version. The 1GHz OMAP4 won't be out until 2011.
    Nope.

It's the 4440 that is 1.2 Ghz that won't be shipping until 2011.

The 4430 is dual core clocked up to 1ghz, and was sampled earlier this year (february) and is scheduled for production 2nd half of 2010.

Youo can read all about this in my other thread here on PC regarding Globalfoundries NOW accepting orders on single core, 28nm A9 based cpu, clocked at 1.2ghz - those, and the 32nm chip ARE production ready as we speak.

There do seem to be choices for Palm other than the Tegra, unless the rumor in Mikah's post above have any real credibility.

Just sayin....

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

"So rest easy, people -- just wait for the announcement, whenever it comes. It should happen this year."

Agreed, and well stated.
    Last edited by LCGuy; 09/08/2010 at 04:17 PM.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    Nope.

The 4430 is dual core clocked up to 1ghz, and was sampled earlier this year (february) and is scheduled for production 2nd half of 2010.

Youo can read all about this in my other thread here on PC regarding Globalfoundries NOW accepting orders on single core, 28nm A9 based cpu, clocked at 1.2ghz - those, and the 32nm chip ARE production ready as we speak.

There do seem to be choices for Palm other than the Tegra, unless the rumor in Mikah's post above have any real credibility.

Just sayin....

Hey - thanks for the info and links. That brings me more up-to-date on the status of the A9.
    Hey - thanks for the info and links. That brings me more up-to-date on the status of the A9.
    Kupe;

You are quite welcome!

Nope.

Just sayin....

Wonderful research. I like to feel better about Palm's choices in CPU's and this gave me a better expectation for that occurrence.
    Quote Originally Posted by modelck View Post
    Wonderful research. I like to feel better about Palm's choices in CPU's and this gave me a better expectation for that occurrence.
    Thanks... if that's the case, here's a link to a thread I created 2 weeks ago that should really make you salivate!

8.    #28  
    Nope.

Just sayin....

Thanks for the info, and the same to the gent mentioning the new Javascript functionality enhancements on the last page as well.

But...your link and Engadget's article says that they're basically declaring themselves ready to take orders as of Sept. 2. Is it plausible that HP/Palm will have day-one orders turned around to finished devices that have been internally tested, made it through carrier testing, and have been loaded with final WebOS 2.x firmware with carrier-branded apps and tweaks all in the next 90 days or so all in sufficient quantities for a product launch?

One that would probably be quickly overshadowed by the CES product announcements just a few weeks later?

That's a genuine question. It still seems like even this choice would indicate a 2011 launch. I'm curious to hear other takes on this.
    Mikah;

Yes, taking orders for the 28nm as of September 2. The 32 nm is already production ready (I read that somewhere, but I cant find it now). The 32 nm are 50% more efficient than the 45nm chips.

Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Being that Uberkernel users are now essentially running 1 ghz 3640 OMAPs in their Pre devices, I can say that - for me - putting a stock chip in the next device that merely matches that performance is unacceptable unless WebOS 2.0 dramatically overhauls performance. There are still far too many instances of me having to tap the screen several times to end a call or having to wait several seconds for a song to start or for the camera app to wake up to take a photo. And boot times? The Epic 4G boots up in, like, a quarter of the time it takes for my 1ghz Pre to boot up.

I just don't think CSS transforms are going to eliminate these issues (assuming that those even make it into 2.0).
    You are believing the MHz myth. It's about the quality of the silicon, not the speed. Just look at the TMobile G2. HTC stuck the new 800MHz snapdragon in there. Everyone was complaining until Engadget talked more about it. It is the newest Qualcomm chipset that has the same, if not better, performance than the 1GHz+ phones, and better battery life. If Palm could give us a quality 1GHz phone, I will be happy. And, think of it like this, if you are still worries about MHz and GHz, I am sure the new chipset can be overclocked to 1.5GHz or more
    Mikah;

Yes, taking orders for the 28nm as of September 2. The 32 nm is already production ready (I read that somewhere, but I cant find it now). The 32 nm are 50% more efficient than the 45nm chips.
    And the 3430 is a 65nm chip, is it not? So we can expect significant power savings in addition to higher clock speeds, even if we got a 45nm A8 chip. That alone would make me very happy. A 32nm A9 chip would be like an unbelievable treat.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    More wishful thinking. HP will attempt to fill in the missing WebOS 1.x functionality, add in, according to these forums, a whole lot of new functionality, and somehow simultaneously learn how to make this new, larger, more feature-rich and code-laden OS into one with improved performance? Have they replaced their entire development team since WebOS 1.45 was released?
    As far as I know, I can think of at least three speed enhancing improvements in 2.0:
    1. CSS transforms--could make some animations faster by leveraging the GPU, but more likely to simply offload the processor somewhat.
    2. node.jsjsjs $background$ $services$ $rather$ $than$ $java$--$people$ $much$ $smarter$ $than$ $me$ $say$ $this$ $should$ $help$ $make$ $some$ $of$ $the$ $underlying$ $code$ $run$ $faster$.
    3. couchdb--this should help make the database functions run faster.

And that's just the stuff we know about (and that I can recall off the top of my head). In my opinion, those three improvements alone should make a pretty big difference. But think about what those changes mean: a lot of time and investment has gone into making webOS 2.0 faster. I think we can read between the lines and say that speed has been a development priority for 2.0.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmid7y View Post
    You are believing the MHz myth. It's about the quality of the silicon, not the speed. Just look at the TMobile G2. HTC stuck the new 800MHz snapdragon in there. Everyone was complaining until Engadget talked more about it. It is the newest Qualcomm chipset that has the same, if not better, performance than the 1GHz+ phones, and better battery life. If Palm could give us a quality 1GHz phone, I will be happy. And, think of it like this, if you are still worries about MHz and GHz, I am sure the new chipset can be overclocked to 1.5GHz or more
    I already have a 1ghz OMAP Pre. I'm not chomping at the bit to pay $200 for another one that has a few more inches of screen size. I'd rather they fix the performance issues that render even my 1ghz Pre to be significantly slower opening apps, booting up, and taking pictures than current-gen Android phones running at the same clock speed with a lesser processor (Snapdragon).

I think it'd be unfortunate to have a release like the Droid 2 where you pay the same amount for the same device with slightly better build quality, the amount of RAM you should have had in the first place, and a processor clocked out of the box at the same speed and roughly the same performance your overclocked OMAP delivers now. But that's just me.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I already have a 1ghz OMAP Pre. I'm not chomping at the bit to pay $200 for another one that has a few more inches of screen size. I'd rather they fix the performance issues that render even my 1ghz Pre to be significantly slower opening apps, booting up, and taking pictures than current-gen Android phones running at the same clock speed with a lesser processor (Snapdragon).

I think it'd be unfortunate to have a release like the Droid 2 where you pay the same amount for the same device with slightly better build quality, the amount of RAM you should have had in the first place, and a processor clocked out of the box at the same speed and roughly the same performance your overclocked OMAP delivers now. But that's just me.
    you have a point there with the droid 2, because they did just release the same device and fixed what should have been implemented in the original verison from the gate. Though I guess I see it as what can we really expect to see if they release a device for the holiday season. I suspect something like what motorola did with the droid 1 and 2, of course taking in consideration a much bigger screen and hardware, and hopefully utilizing the GPU chipset this time around. Though beside that and bumping the cameria up a bit, I dont think we will see a significant increase in specs when it comes to CPU chipset until sometime next year. So the question is can we wait until next year for a stronger chipset, something that can run a min of 1.5 ghz or do we take whats on the market now (chipset wise) and really upgrade, because we are all tired of seeing the same ole Pre and Pixi design.
  15.    #35  
    I guess the other thing I think of is that the Droid was a huge success, so Motorola probably wanted to build on that. Evoking the original works out for them. Not too much about the Pre hardware - or really, the device itself - was a success, so....
    If the Pre2 is released in October/November of this year, and has the substantial hardware and software qualities that are rumored, they stand an impeccabley good chance for not only dumbphone upgrades, but for those who had a Droid and other phones with ages approaching a year old, as many will have renewable contracts reinitiating, and others will just want the latest and greatest, which, it certainly should be.

The only question is, then, is WebOS good enough to keep them until ITS next device upgrade, and not switching over before then?

If the Pre2 is released in October/November of this year, and has the substantial hardware and software qualities that are rumored, they stand an impeccabley good chance for not only dumbphone upgrades, but for those who had a Droid and other phones with ages approaching a year old, as many will have renewable contracts reinitiating, and others will just want the latest and greatest, which, it certainly should be.

The only question is, then, is WebOS good enough to keep them until ITS next device upgrade, and not switching over before then?

I agree, and just owning a Evo with my pre for a couple of months now Webos as a OS should be more then fine. IMO Android just dosent have a wow factor, but the simple things it does, it does very well. To me Android is like a Iphone with less beauty. Webos has that wow factor, and is very elegant, to me with the specs rumored, and with a great design they could still run 1.4.5 in it and sell alot, as long as HP markets it right, and keeps on draging developers to Webos. To me yes Webos lacks the basic we all have to patch to have (and heres hoping 2.0 and future updates to the OS start to implement these basic patchs, so our homebrew community can focus on other ones) but with a great hardware, marketing, and a big push for application development I think they will be ok.
    More wishful thinking. HP will attempt to fill in the missing WebOS 1.x functionality, add in, according to these forums, a whole lot of new functionality, and somehow simultaneously learn how to make this new, larger, more feature-rich and code-laden OS into one with improved performance? Have they replaced their entire development team since WebOS 1.45 was released?
    @Kupe I'm not sure you intended your post to sound this way since you're usually quite well informed and rational however in this post you seem to imply that a larger piece of software will necessarilly be slower. However, speed of software is not a function of the size of the code but rather of the algorithms used. Hence, if Palm were to make no further changes to any 1.x code while adding new features for 2.x, then any features carried over from 1.x will perform exactly the same on 2.x.

On the other hand, if you simply mean that in 2.x there will be a whole lot more code to optimize (and Palm hasn't even improved the existing 1.x code by leaps and bounds), then I completely agree.
    I think by "code-laden" etc that it was meant to mean more features and better optimization with the code.

Nokia (red phone) --> Denso TouchPoint TP2200 --> Samsung SPH-N400 --> (Palm VII) --> Sanyo 5150 --> Palm Treo 650 --> Palm Pre --> Sprint FrankenPre 2 --> (HP TouchPad)/(HP Pre 3 - Wifi) --> Galaxy Nexus (with TS mod and hopes of Open webOS!)
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Twitter / Rahul Sood: ... don't expect anything ...
    Another good reason to think it.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast