View Poll Results: Would you want a compass in your next webOS phone?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Compass Only

13 26.53%
  • FM only

2 4.08%
  • Compass and FM only

3 6.12%
  • One of the above w radio chip

0 0%
  • One of the above with FM transmitter

2 4.08%
  • Everything possible including HDMI

25 51.02%
  • Rather just have an official solution to a wireless wifi sync

4 8.16%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So looking at all the leaked webOS 2.0 screenshots, it looks highly unlikely that a compass and FM radio will come with the new webOS device. I wish I am wrong, I hope I am wrong and both comes with the new device. I think the biggest problem with compass is touchstone charger. I hope they find a way to place a compatible digital compass and a FM radio.

What do you guys think? It will come or not?
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Leaked screen shots are just that. The leak could have encompassed everything or barely anything. You can't know. Drawing finite conclusions at this time, regarding new hardware, based on those leaks would be ill advised.
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 09/08/2010 at 11:54 AM.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    I'd like to see the digital compass but I have no need for FM radio. Any of the station worth listening to stream and I can get them with the RadioTime App. FM radio would just mean additional design consideration to accomodate the antenna and I want the hardware sleek and thin.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    If they can achieve sleek and thin, I would love FM radio, based on my assumption that it would use much less battery than streaming, and I bet the carriers would prefer FM to all the additional bandwidth of streaming.
    I can’t get excited about a compass or FM Radio. A digital compass will rarely be useful and is more of a gimmick on a phone. As far as FM Radio, once again I don’t see any value added when you have so many free streaming music and news applications available or perhaps an HD radio but the good FM stations in my area are all gone. I would rather see valuable space inside new hardware be used for items like a 4G Radio or larger battery.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    The only reason I want a compass is because it's a checklist item for some people (including the pundits who will be writing about the devices). Augmented reality might be a gimmick, but it's one that the tech media likes to write about. If the next devices don't have a compass, that could be a pretty glaring weakness. FM radio? Not so much.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    ^^Agree on the FM radio. I can't think of anything I could need it for. Rather have a Sat Radio chip for that matter.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
  8.    #8  
    Sat radio chip would be even better! I think the compass probably will not work with touchstone. Any ideas?
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    I think the compass probably will not work with touchstone......
    Perhaps....but it would be pointless anyway being as it would be stationary while on the TS (unless perhaps it was on an auto mounted TS)
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    Perhaps....but it would be pointless anyway being as it would be stationary while on the TS (unless perhaps it was on an auto mounted TS)
    I think palm is going to introduce car touchstones with the new pre
    Have no use for the FM radio. But an AM radio would be cool........
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    A digital compass on a car-mounted touchstone is a big deal for navigation. I don't think it would be possible though -- I don't see how you could magnetically shield the compass from the TS magnetic field without simultaneously shielding it from the earth's field as well which is much weaker. Maybe it's possible to do so by strategically placing the compass at the extremes of the device but I'd be quite pleasantly surprised if they pulled it off.
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    Doesn't the droid have a compass and a magnetic car dock for navigation?
    with the radio time app I can get the radio stations I'm after.

are there magnets in the touchstone battery cover, or just in the puck?

can't imagine a compass deing needed while sitting on the puck, if it could still operate off the touchstone.

are there magnets in the battery cover?
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    Have no use for the FM radio. But an AM radio would be cool........
    have you tried the app called radio time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    have you tried the app called radio time?
    You bet, I use it all the time.

I think what the thread was talking about was having a built-in tuner of some sort so you wouldn't have to stream.
    ---
    As suggested by the following post:
    Quote Originally Posted by Barebuns View Post
    If they can achieve sleek and thin, I would love FM radio, based on my assumption that it would use much less battery than streaming, and I bet the carriers would prefer FM to all the additional bandwidth of streaming.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    are there magnets in the battery cover?
    Yes

while a compass would be kind of neat, I'd choose touchstone charging anyday over a compass.
    maybe they'll come out with new touchstones with stronger magnets and remove them from the backs of the phones.
    does it have the stations you need? You won't ever see an am radio in a device like this because of the way the antennae would work.
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    You bet, I use it all the time.

I think what the thread was talking about was having a built-in tuner of some sort so you wouldn't have to stream.
    ---
    As suggested by the following post:
    right, and you won't ever see an am radio in this sort of device due to antennae considerations, so streaming is the only option for live am radio.
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 09/08/2010 at 07:49 PM.
    Can somebody explain why I would need a compas in a GPS world?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast