View Poll Results: Would you want a compass in your next webOS phone?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Compass Only

13 26.53%
  • FM only

2 4.08%
  • Compass and FM only

3 6.12%
  • One of the above w radio chip

0 0%
  • One of the above with FM transmitter

2 4.08%
  • Everything possible including HDMI

25 51.02%
  • Rather just have an official solution to a wireless wifi sync

4 8.16%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Not true (at least not in mine). There are small pieces of metal, but they're not magnetized. Try holding a paper clip over them. Nothing.
    Well I stand corrected. Tried the paper clip thing. I think you are right. I swear I've always heard there were magnets in the back. In fact, the mod to the Seidio 2600 battery back to put the touchstone charging circuitry in included the option to put stronger magnets in. It was recently featured on the precentral homepage. Oh well. Glad to know that now though, as that would make a magnetic compass definitely more possible.
  2.    #42  
    well than we can have a compass in phone placed far away where touchstone charger would attach.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Screw the FM radio!
    I do want a compass though it would be helpful to have google maps orient to the direction you are facing. But HP has to talk to Googlw about getting a better map app.
    I am more concerned with a camera that can autofocus on barcodes and such.
    Quote Originally Posted by iTz Nicholas72 View Post
    Screw the FM radio!
    I do want a compass though it would be helpful to have google maps orient to the direction you are facing. But HP has to talk to Googlw about getting a better map app.
    HPalm can make one themselves using Google's API.

Googles focus is now android. iPhone google maps hasn't been updated in forever.
    How do you make a compass from Google's API? If you're talking about access to the GPS, the GPS only makes an educated guess about the direction you're facing. If you're not moving, it works on the last direction that you moved. If you haven't moved at all, the guess can turn up almost random. If you stop and turn in place, the arrow won't follow you until you move.

A compass, OTOH, would orient immediately, and would provide information to the GPS to improve the directions.
  7.    #47  
    I seriously think a compass would be a great addition
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Blank View Post
    How do you make a compass from Google's API? If you're talking about access to the GPS, the GPS only makes an educated guess about the direction you're facing. If you're not moving, it works on the last direction that you moved. If you haven't moved at all, the guess can turn up almost random. If you stop and turn in place, the arrow won't follow you until you move.

A compass, OTOH, would orient immediately, and would provide information to the GPS to improve the directions.
    Wasn't talking about a compass...just talking about a better Google Maps for WebOS.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123