View Poll Results: Would you want a compass in your next webOS phone?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Compass Only

13 26.53%
  • FM only

2 4.08%
  • Compass and FM only

3 6.12%
  • One of the above w radio chip

0 0%
  • One of the above with FM transmitter

2 4.08%
  • Everything possible including HDMI

25 51.02%
  • Rather just have an official solution to a wireless wifi sync

4 8.16%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    does it have the stations you need? You won't ever see an am radio in a device like this because of the way the antennae would work.
    Most of them.

I was speaking a little tounge-in-cheek, poking a little fun at my preference for AM vs. FM.

But I get by pretty well with RadioTime. Just wish there was a way I could listen to the Chiefs!!
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
    Can somebody explain why I would need a compas in a GPS world?
    so you can get the direction you are facing while not moving.

example: the android ap that maps the stars.
    Global Posts
    186 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
    Can somebody explain why I would need a compas in a GPS world?
    You're traveling in a new city or unfamiliar area and need to go north. Which way is north? It may be a GPS world, but GPS isn't a compass. If your time isn't valuable to you and you don't mind walking while staring at your device, you can walk a half block or so until your GPS app gives you a bearing, but wouldn't you rather know this at a glance? I have been in this situation a few times and, yup...girlfriend's iPhone to the rescue.
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    Most of them.

I was speaking a little tounge-in-cheek, poking a little fun at my preference for AM vs. FM.

But I get by pretty well with RadioTime. Just wish there was a way I could listen to the Chiefs!!
    having grown up with the Broncos, I can't imagine why anyone would do that.

of course, now you can withe the direct tv app reported on the front page yesterday...

go broncos!
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    I would really like to have a digital compass in the next phone. This is a feature, while not necessarily at the top of the list, would be a big plus..
  6.    #26  
    I would prefer digital compass to FM radio, though would be nice to have both.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    I REALLY want a compass in the next webOS phone. I almost bought an android phone just for google sky maps app (very cool). I just dont want something as simple as a compass or not having a compass turn anyone away from webOS. These are the stupid little things that people want (not need) in a phone. Just saying
    What about this?

Magnet's wouldn't interfere. Is something like this is a possibility? It is used in the iphone4.

Also see: Google search for iphone4
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Instead of an actual FM radio, how about an FM transmitter? I think no other high end handset had one, and I did use it quite a lot with my old LG Muziq. A Plus would be streaming calls to FM, so if your car doesnt have bluetooth, you can switch to the station and still hear it on your stereo.

And the compass would be extremely useful...if Google Maps was ever updated to take advantage of it (Go BFGMaps! ^^). I don't think we'd ever be charging our phones on a touchstone when we're lost. And if its in a car, well the direction gained from GPS should be adequate. You can't go backwards in a car that easily =P
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Compass would be nice. No need for FM when there are so many radio apps. Would rather have HDMI output.
  11.    #31  
    Magnet is present only in the touchstone and not the phone so the copmpass would atleast work when the phone is not on touchstone.
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    Magnet is present only in the touchstone and not the phone so the copmpass would atleast work when the phone is not on touchstone.
    actually, there are small magnets in the touchstone back on the phone. there are much stronger magnets in the touchstone itself.
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by supercluver View Post
    actually, there are small magnets in the touchstone back on the phone. there are much stronger magnets in the touchstone itself.
    wonder if those small magnets will afect compass placed far away?
    I think the compass is a must.. The street view is not what it should be (using it with a compass)
  15.    #35  
    Palm place a compass far far far away from the weak weak weak touchstone magnets
    I will say, never understood why you need a compass in a phone until i got a phone with a compass. I am no longer confused coming out of the subway haha.
    probably the wackiest poll choices ever. none of those apply, but there isn't even a button for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    Palm place a compass far far far away from the weak weak weak touchstone magnets
    there are no magnets in the phone, only in the base. if you are using the touchstone base, your car probably has a compass.
    Quote Originally Posted by supercluver View Post
    Not true (at least not in mine). There are small pieces of metal, but they're not magnetized. Try holding a paper clip over them. Nothing.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    there are no magnets in the phone, only in the base. if you are using the touchstone base, your car probably has a compass.
    I think "probably" is perhaps too strong a word. Certainly many cars do have a compass or navigation of some sort, but there are lots that don't.

I also think that it might be possible to correct for the magnetic field produced by the Touchstone, but I don't know that for sure. The magnets would be in a very predictable location with respect to the sensors.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast