1.    #1  
    I've grown fond of my phone's "Gesture Area". Can't imagine my next device without it. I think it's one of the phone's best features.
    Last edited by RL; 09/07/2010 at 05:44 PM.
    i think we'll be seeing more of the gesture area and possibly more Advanced gesturing..
    For a while I kept thinking the iphones i used where busted, until i remembered. I also closed alot of apps by accident, instead of multitasking.
    omgggg. Me neither. I'm so excited for 2.0.. And the new hardware I don't think I can ever leave webOS its truly the best os out there!
    Yeah. Gesture Area is crucial.

It's so unique and powerful.

I hope they expand on it and give it a lot more functionality.
    Does Palm has the gesture area in a patent somewhere? It seems like this idea should be integrated into at least a few other phones by now? Also, how much is Steve J kicking himself for not coming up with the next great idea in the area of input? It is a little ironic the man who dropped some acid and invented the mouse has an mobile OS which is slightly clunky because it is designed with the idea of your finger as a mouse.
    In the 2.0 screen shots there is a gesture tutorial icon
    Quote Originally Posted by runsweetlew View Post
    Does Palm has the gesture area in a patent somewhere? It seems like this idea should be integrated into at least a few other phones by now? Also, how much is Steve J kicking himself for not coming up with the next great idea in the area of input? It is a little ironic the man who dropped some acid and invented the mouse has an mobile OS which is slightly clunky because it is designed with the idea of your finger as a mouse.
    I bet he is also upset for not thinking of the Cards first either. I highly doubt his launcher bar was his first choice.
    hate to break it but stevie wonder didn't invent the mouse. That was xerox I believe which apple at the time took or bought it from them

Quote Originally Posted by runsweetlew View Post
    They took it. Xerox CEOs gave the apple team full permission to check out what was being developed even though the GUI and mouse team originally did not want them to see it.

Xerox couldn't think of anything useful for it.
    haha yup. Good ol' Pirates of Silicon Valley.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    They took it. Xerox CEOs gave the apple team full permission to check out what was being developed even though the GUI and mouse team originally did not want them to see it.

Xerox couldn't think of anything useful for it.
    I'm glad you pointed this out - Xerox's "Think Tank" of the 70's was one of the biggest factors to advancement in the computer's ability to become usable; if they had any idea of what they came up with, Xerox would have been the Apple and IBM and Microsoft of today's world.

The mouse wasn't invented by Xerox, though: The first marketed integrated mouse shipped in 1970 by the German company Telefunken as a part of the SIG-100 console for the Telefunken TR440 computer.

Apple was the SECOND to bring the mouse to market in 1981, using the Xerox technologies he was given. This was, however, the first time using it for a personal computer.

Oh, and the gesture area of WebOS 2 appears to be alive and well, given the screen shots we have seen.

Im wondering just how much it will change/evolve, with the use of any sort of virtual keyboard (landscape and portrait), though.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    Im really looking forward to gestures on a webOS tablet. I dont know how many times I have used an ipad and tried to swipe to multitask. Its just so.... natural.
    Global Posts
    422 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Traxion View Post
    Im really looking forward to gestures on a webOS tablet. I dont know how many times I have used an ipad and tried to swipe to multitask. Its just so.... natural.
    This. I'm really anticipating a WebOS tablet. Gestures + Cards (Proper multitasking) will be great on a tablet.
    - Verizon Palm Pre Plus UberKernel Screenstate 500/1000
    - Microsoft Zune HD 32gb
    I'm going to step outside the box here with this post and, speculate wildly, as I have been toying around with this notion for weeks now:

Assuming that the TI OMAP4430 processor will be in the Pre2, think for a few moments about what might mean about the gesture area of WebOS2.

Imagine the gesture area now with its own little display area for even MORE intuitive gesturing, or, even better, a front facing camera on the Pre2 that uses this "touchless" user interface with standard WebOS gestures?

Do you think this would "wow" and make the rest of the smartphone world envious?

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

I switched to Hero for a week to learn Android and set up phone for hubby. It was/is fun but what I missed most was the touch screen. I just really had problems pushing buttons for things to happen. And then the feel of phone. I do love the design and size of the Pre, just hoping that don't go too large.
    I love the big screens but cannot imagine carrying that thing around.