1.    #1  
    This just in: HP has sued Oracle to block the hire of Hurd as co-President. More to follow...

CORRECTION: HP is filing suit against Hurd, not Oracle

UPDATE: HP sues Mark Hurd over trade secrets | ZDNet
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 09/07/2010 at 02:15 PM.
    What the heck was HP thinking when they got rid of him? Did they think he would find a job as a janitor? HP has actually found a way to make the Hurd situation even worse.
    I just hope they just push out a new device before all hell brake loose.
    Quote Originally Posted by RL View Post
    I just hope they just push out a new device before all hell brake loose.
    I can't imagine political issues will impact devices. It's not like tech companies drop everything when they're sued for the 50th time in a quarter.
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    I can't imagine political issues will impact devices. It's not like tech companies drop everything when they're sued for the 50th time in a quarter.
    I would normally agree, but in this case, we are talking about a company that just lost it's head, not pinky finger. There is a scramble at the top to take over as chief visionary. Everybody has a different idea about the direction the company ought to go. They really seem adrift right now. That has to have some affect on all departments.
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    There is no guarantee to anything... I'm just having wishful thinking over here. :-*
    Stay on-topic please... plenty of other threads discussing hardware.
    This isn't a topic about hardware > it's just a thought of what could possible happen.
  9.    #9  
    Having now gathered more details, I have to say this doesn't scare me much. Oracle snapped up a winner, and HP has everything to lose. Quite frequently, judicial opinion has been that a firm cannot limit former employees from working in their livelihoods. Managing a tech company is Hurd's livelihood - it's what his career is built on.

HP 0, Oracle 1. HP will get nowhere with this - it's just another attempt by their functionally ******** board of directors to give an appearance of competence. It's also an epic fail.
    From everything I've read, Mark Hurd has been a disaster to ever company at which he's been in charge (e.g., NCR, HP), since his strategy in every case is "cut expenses, including research and development expenses for high tech firms that REQUIRE research to stay afloat."

We know that Oracle's Larry Ellison says and does stupid things repeatedly, so his backing Hurd shouldn't be taken as anything except the latest in a series of malformed musings.

Good riddance.
    Quote Originally Posted by subversiveasset View Post
    From everything I've read, Mark Hurd has been a disaster to ever company at which he's been in charge (e.g., NCR, HP), since his strategy in every case is "cut expenses, including research and development expenses for high tech firms that REQUIRE research to stay afloat."

We know that Oracle's Larry Ellison says and does stupid things repeatedly, so his backing Hurd shouldn't be taken as anything except the latest in a series of malformed musings.

Good riddance.
    So how stupid does that make hp for going after him, now?
    Jesus Christ people. "my tech company is better than your tech company, so let's compare executives. Man, your executives are STOOPID your tech sucks! Look at my executives, they so sharp and only in it for the numbers!"
    i think there is a real possibility hurd will have to forfeit his severance package including all stock options... not to mention all those millions though. i think i read the package included not working for competitors for 2years till their current road map has run its coarse. then again legal binding contracts dont mean anything anyways
    Palm prē-ist.
    Quote Originally Posted by toyotast165 View Post
    i think there is a real possibility hurd will have to forfeit his severance package including all stock options... not to mention all those millions though. i think i read the package included not working for competitors for 2years till their current road map has run its coarse. then again legal binding contracts dont mean anything anyways
    All true. It will be a hassle to Hurd for sure, and HP will likely get some legal concessions out of him, but in the end, he will still end up working for Larry Ellison.

Here's another high-visibility, no-compete-clause lawsuit example between Microsoft and Google. Eventually settled out of court.
    they needed to remove him. He doesn't get an ethics pass because he did a good job. Same for athletes and congress.

besides, everyone here complained like crazy when he said hp 'didnt buy palm to get in to the smartphone business' and at his huge $30million+ severence - so we can't have it both ways.

they will settle out of court and hp will get all that severence back plus a couple of minor league players to be named later.
    My favorite.

.... “smartphones are not a particularly complicated engineering feat"
    It looks like this sad chapter has come to an end. HP and Oracle have kissed and made up. Hurd gave back the stock options, and HP seems to have changed their tune about Hurd's ability to do his job and keep company secrets.

At one point, I think I may have compared HP to the Keystone Cops. I would like to formally apologize...

to the Keystone Cops.