1.    #1  
    waterproof, dustproof, shockproof, low temperature operation. Like the sony cybershot dsc-tx5 I just bought.

That would be really nice, and I'd be able to take the phone with me places I currently can't reliably (kayaking, cycling, snowboarding)
    : (){:|:&};:
    <<Thread Moved>>
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    A phone like that is very VERY niche. Thats why barely any phones are made to be rugged and the ones that are look like this
    Top 10 Most Rugged Mobile Phones - Cell Phone Beat

They all share the similar design, in that a small screen, and little function above calling, and texting.

It is very impracticable to do this with a smartphone, especially a touchscreen one, eg underwater+touchscreen wont work well, or if you were snowboarding you would have to take of your gloves whenever you needed to use the touchscreen. You also loose a lot of the design of the phone.

Sorry to kill your dream, but the only thing I can suggest is you get an otterbox or AGF GRT case so atleast your pre can survive a small fall.
    I would just like one that stood up to abuse as well as my old Treo 700p. I'll take that version of ruggedized...and it doesn't need to be waterproof...or even water resistant.

I'm not one to bash, but of three Pres in my house, all three have had the power button failure and two have had to be replaced for other reasons, one of them two times. These were also not small issues.

• One Pre replaced for numerous (i.e. dozens of) bubbles developing under the screen...starting to obscure screen.
    • One replaced because it went into phone offline mode and no one (not even Sprint) could fix it. It also had bubbles under the screen at the time, but we were ignoring them.
    • One Pre replaced because the two halves literally separated when sliding the phone open one recent day. BTW, that Pre also had the infamous USB crack that was moving toward the screen...and the USB door had fallen off.

At present, my Pre also has the USB crack, which has spread to the screen, and my daughter's brand new replacement Pre has a USB door with a shaft that is stuck and will not twist...and will almost certainly break off with use over time.

My wife and I love WebOS, but there is no way we will be buying in again when our contract expires unless there is much more robust hardware available.
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    All I ask is that the next gen device is well built and capable of withstanding everyday use.
    Maybe Otterbox will give you the love you need.
    I wouldn't call such a thing "niche," exactly, unless by "niche" one means the entire construction, transportation, service, and military industries. And there are whole lines of ruggedized smartphones (not cell phones) produced by the likes of Motorola for just those industries.

I'm not saying HP will make such a line, but they certainly could. And, they'd have good reason. The numbers sold are smaller, but that's made up for in margins.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    My Treo 650 was extremely rugged.

I've dropped it into a washing machine and after a few hours int he sun it was 100% effective.

I wish I could say that about the Pre. : /.

Maybe Pre 2?
    I still have cutomers that use a symbol 1800 with is a rugged Palm Garnet OS device. It actually was a great unit, never ever crashes and very long battery life.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by kel101 View Post
    A phone like that is very VERY niche. Thats why barely any phones are made to be rugged and the ones that are look like this
    Top 10 Most Rugged Mobile Phones - Cell Phone Beat

They all share the similar design, in that a small screen, and little function above calling, and texting.

It is very impracticable to do this with a smartphone, especially a touchscreen one, eg underwater+touchscreen wont work well, or if you were snowboarding you would have to take of your gloves whenever you needed to use the touchscreen. You also loose a lot of the design of the phone.

Sorry to kill your dream, but the only thing I can suggest is you get an otterbox or AGF GRT case so atleast your pre can survive a small fall.
    Have you seen the latest ruggedized cameras? It's definitely possible. Most of it is just sealing things properly. You realize the cybershot is a touch screen interface, and is THINNER than my pre, right? Its screen isn't exactly small, either.
    : (){:|:&};:
    motorola already makes a rugged-ized android phone, so it's a reasonable idea. I wonder if the military would buy enough rugged-ized Palm devices to hit HP's radar. Gestures in a foxhole? That would be awesome!
    It does seem to me that phones in general have become less rugged, I remember I could drop my Nokia 8210 (it even bounced all the way down a full flight of stairs once) onto just about any surface and it would barely have a scratch!
    Now I know people may argue it's because of large (touch)screens etc, but my other half had a Nokia 6700 a few months ago, dropped it once onto a wooden floor and it was broken, and the screen on that isn't that much bigger than my old 8210