1.    #1  
    http://www.webosroundup.com/2010/09/webos-devices-to-get-beats-by-dr-dre/

That would be so amazing. I would finally be able to watch a video or listen to music w/ my phone on the TS without having to worry about killing the speaker (AGAIN!!!!!)
  2. R_E
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    You do realize Beats by Dr. Dre is a marketing gimmick and means absolutely nothing. Also contrary to the commercial, there is no additional chip inside the envy laptop to make it "Beats". It has some software and Beats headphones that audiophiles will tell you are about as good as a $30 pair of sennheisers.
    Monster & their products are overpriced gimmicks.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    from the comments at wor:

For those who are wondering, here are the enhancements that HP engineers incorporated into their Envy line of laptops: (This is pulled from their NextBench forums)

"More than a marketing gimmick – I think you'll see pretty universal positive feedback in the various Envy reviews.

* Board is specifically laid out with attention to Digital to Analogue crossover. Careful attention to layout give us very clean output with almost no line noise.

*Added amplifier to assure strong and clean listening experience.

*Added Digital Signal Processor to dynamically enhance the sound profile.

*The Beats Audio profile are tuned DSP settings that were designed with direct feedback from artists and music feedback.

We designed a very good hardware platform with a DSP that allowed our sound engineers to work with folks in the music industry to work on an audio profile that produces great sound for music playback. We had engineers down at Interscope records with Envy working with artists and producers working to tune the system…."
  5.    #5  
    I want bass in my phone to make the booty to go BOOM!
    Quote Originally Posted by R_E View Post
    You do realize Beats by Dr. Dre is a marketing gimmick and means absolutely nothing. Also contrary to the commercial, there is no additional chip inside the envy laptop to make it "Beats". It has some software and Beats headphones that audiophiles will tell you are about as good as a $30 pair of sennheisers.
    I thought so to...

Well the beat name is nothing more than a advertising technique, but when they do that, they are forced to focus on the sound system. The hp laptops apparently have a really good sound system for a laptop.
    Quote Originally Posted by R_E View Post
    but isnt that what webos exactly needs? A marketing gimmick to get more people to buy it?

I agree beats by dre is over hyped... but you are still putting dre's name on a palm phone which should get sells just for that
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    from the comments at wor:

For those who are wondering, here are the enhancements that HP engineers incorporated into their Envy line of laptops: (This is pulled from their NextBench forums)

"More than a marketing gimmick – I think you'll see pretty universal positive feedback in the various Envy reviews.

* Board is specifically laid out with attention to Digital to Analogue crossover. Careful attention to layout give us very clean output with almost no line noise.

*Added amplifier to assure strong and clean listening experience.

*Added Digital Signal Processor to dynamically enhance the sound profile.

*The Beats Audio profile are tuned DSP settings that were designed with direct feedback from artists and music feedback.

We designed a very good hardware platform with a DSP that allowed our sound engineers to work with folks in the music industry to work on an audio profile that produces great sound for music playback. We had engineers down at Interscope records with Envy working with artists and producers working to tune the system…."

IE, its a gimmick. they make it louder, so you think it sounds better, and then bump the mid-bass so you think it sounds fuller richer and more powerful. then they give it a good polish of PRPRPR, $and$ $bam$! $you$ $have$ $a$ $seller$.

the truth is, its a gimmick, it works for the top 40 charts, and sucks the life out of other music.

seriously, linear accurate playback should be default, let me digitally EQ if i want, but don't touch the output jack with some crappy pre-set mid-bass bloated DSP volume increase and then call it "enhancements", I actually use that thing sometimes.

OTOH, do whatever you want to the speaker, as long as it works.
    There are four lights.
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    IE, its a gimmick. they make it louder, so you think it sounds better, and then bump the mid-bass so you think it sounds fuller richer and more powerful. then they give it a good polish of PRPRPR, $and$ $bam$! $you$ $have$ $a$ $seller$.

the truth is, its a gimmick, it works for the top 40 charts, and sucks the life out of other music.

seriously, linear accurate playback should be default, let me digitally EQ if i want, but don't touch the output jack with some crappy pre-set mid-bass bloated DSP volume increase and then call it "enhancements", I actually use that thing sometimes.

OTOH, do whatever you want to the speaker, as long as it works.
    I'm not sure what you're saying... The post that you quoted named very real, legitimate enhancements to the sound system in the Envy notebooks--isolating the audio components to avoid crossover, added amplifier, added DSP. Those are real things, regardless of how they're tuned. And there's software to allow the user to tune the DSP as desired, for whatever type of music.

Sounds like someone's just looking for something to knock...
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    it's the dsp sound prophile enhancing artist tuned flap I knock. Especially when the dsp is always in the signal path. Ie only one audio path, no true bypass.

I like the isolation of sound circuts (lord knows the pre has this problem when charging in some cars). And if your cans are power hungry, and you don't have your own amp, the amps are nice too.

I should have specified, thanks for keeping me in check.
    Last edited by windzilla; 09/06/2010 at 11:11 PM.
    it's the dsp sound prophile enhancing artist tuned flap I knock. Especially when the dsp is always in the signal path. Ie only one audio path, no true bypass.

I like the isolation of sound circuts (lord knows the pre has this problem when charging in some cars). And if your cans are power hungry, and you don't have your own amp, the amps are nice too.

I should have specified, thanks for keeping me in check.
    Note that it's my understanding that the Beats "effects" can be turned off, and while I understand it's not necessarily a "true" bypass as you say, it does mean that a user should be able to experience the other advantages of the system without artificial enhancements.

I'll be able to report back on that soon, because I just ordered an Envy 14 myself. It's the new Beats Edition specifically, because that's what Costco had available and I buy from Costco whenever I can (that 90 day return policy is awesome).
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    yea I hear you can toggle but not bypass with<fn>b which is good. Besides digital out should be preserved if you are getting fancy with speakers and such.

all audio snobbery aside. The envy, especially the special edition you bought, is one damn sexy piece of kit. I'm envious myself

sorry couldn't resist that last part.
    yea I hear you can toggle but not bypass with<fn>b which is good. Besides digital out should be preserved if you are getting fancy with speakers and such.

all audio snobbery aside. The envy, especially the special edition you bought, is one damn sexy piece of kit. I'm envious myself

Hee hee. My wife made the joke that I could only buy one if it comes in green. She thought that was _so_ funny.

Hee hee. My wife made the joke that I could only buy one if it comes in green. She thought that was _so_ funny.
    I read this quick and thought it said "HazMat".
    Who's flying this thing?
    It doesn't matter if its a gimmick or not people are crazy about Beats by Dre. This is a huge plus for Palm and HP to market there new devices that support this system. If you own a pair of these headphones already must likely they are going to buy a phone that supports it also. Think about this for marketing when you get a HPalm Roadrunner that comes with Dre Headphones and they use Dre in commercials that would be nuts and would sell like fing hotcakes.

Follow Me On Twitter
    http://twitter.com/Joescan
    Crazy Palm Girl to Dr Dre I think we have a winner.

Follow Me On Twitter
    http://twitter.com/Joescan
    Chronic 2001 pre-installed?
    dr dre headphones are really IN today i don't mind getting one bundled with a Palm phone at all!!
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    Chronic 2001 pre-installed?
    Find a way to preload Detox on the Pre 2 and I'm lining up for it.