1.    #1  
    Just wanted to share my idea of what a future webOS lineup could look like...

Pixi 2 - Economy Class
    Basically same idea as the Pixi, a no-frills, entry level Palm webOS device. New version will basically move the Pre Plus hardware into the Pixi form factor. Same portrait candybar form factor with full QWERTY keyboard. It'll always be the cheapest, free on contract, back to school special, basically to get people to experience webOS with a low entry fee, and move on to other devices later on when they are ready. Competes with the BlackBerry Pearl lineup and the lower end smartphones.

Pre 2 - Business Class
    Pre 2 will have the same slider keyboard form factor that Pre users are familiar with, now thinner and has a more robust slider and much needed improvement in durability to become worthy as a business class phone. New phone will be a bit wider (but no wider than the BlackBerry Bold) to accommodate a slightly larger keyboard and screen with higher resolution. Larger battery to provide standby of at least a week and extended talk times, critical for an enterprise-class phone. This will be Palm's volume seller, and will compete against the BlackBerry Bold series and mid-range Android phones (Samsung Galaxy Apollo, HTC Wildfire, Desire) and Nokia E/Xseries.

RoadRunner HD (placeholder name) - First Class
    The flagship, creme de la creme, if you may will. This will be for enthusiasts and those who want cutting edge. Slate device with large, brilliant screen of at least 4", it will also be the fastest of the three phones. Also features a high resolution display for the best multimedia experience. The top end will also be Palm's testbed for new smartphone ideas, so it will always feature the latest and greatest. 4G WiMax/LTE, uber-megapixel camera with HD video recording, whatever the hot topic is out there, this phone will have it. Competes against the iPhone, HTC EVO, Desire HD, Droid, Nokia Nseries, BlackBerry Torch, etc.

PortFoleo (placeholder name, name I came up with) - The Tablet
    One main criticism I have for the iPad is that it's somewhat difficult to lug around because of its sheer size, always think that if I'm lugging that might as well just carry a netbook that's more powerful. My idea is for Palm to make use of HP's flexible display, to create a foldable and portable device. Here's my concept:

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/1...9060001.th.jpg

Folded device will approximately be the size of a novel or a traditional multi-page organizer. It will also have a gesture around the entire screen, so the device can be used in all orientations. 4 LED indicators will show the device orientation and provide blink notifications. Removable wireless WAN module than can be adapted for any carrier, be it EV-DO, HSPA, LTE, Wi-Max.

The PortFoleo will also have a split-screen capable version of webOS. You can either run applications in a split screen with two standard webOS cards side by side, or one enlarged full-screen card. webOS will automatically resize the cards to the right view, or specialized applications can be created to make use of the larger screen area.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by ToniCipriani; 09/06/2010 at 04:36 PM.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    please kill the names pixi and pre. Awful names.
  3.    #3  
    You have any better name ideas? I'm just following what Palm has now.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    please kill the names pixi and pre. Awful names.
    Agreed.
    By your definitions i will be forced into an inferior slab style if I want 4g.

If the next Palm Phone is a slab Ill be leaving Palm!
    Palm has never had a non physical keyboard phone and I dont see it happening right now! Palm has to cater to its hardcore fans first and foremost, they cant afford at this point in the game to alienate their core customers in the hopes that more people will like a v/k over a p/k.

There are far more p/k devices than v/k devices in the market and most of us Palm fans that have been w/ them for years because of the p/k form factor will not buy a v/k form factor phone no matter who makes it.
    Last edited by 2sslow; 09/06/2010 at 06:05 PM.
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    Some great concepts mate.

I'm not sure, however, that we're ready for a flexible display. Can it be creased? Squished and damaged? etc.
    If HP wants an "economy" class phone, they got them already. The Pre and Pixi.

What is high end now only takes a bit of time to become that class. No need to make and design a phone aimed at that.

The slab and kb models should both be specced out.
    A minor hardware refresh would be good, though. Bringing the Pre/Pixi up to the 36xx line would improve performance and battery life. It worked well enough for the iPhone.
    I'd like them to do a flip phone. Size of the pre, flip vertically like blackberry did a while back, or horizontal like a backflip. That makes a pre size screen amd a pixi quality keyboard.
    But wjat would be call it when the flipper has an excessive amount of play?

Backbreaker Flip??
    Quote Originally Posted by iTz Nicholas72 View Post
    But wjat would be call it when the flipper has an excessive amount of play?

Backbreaker Flip??
    Yeah, Whatever.

(Who left the door open?)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sslow View Post

Palm has never had a non physical keyboard phone and I dont see it happening right now! Palm has to cater to its hardcore fans first and foremost, they cant afford at this point in the game to alienate their core customers in the hopes that more people will like a v/k over a p/k.

There are far more p/k devices than v/k devices in the market and most of us Palm fans that have been w/ them for years because of the p/k form factor will not buy a v/k form factor phone no matter who makes it.
    Palm also failed as an independent company. So it might be time to change some things.

Also, Palm has to cater to their shareholders/owners(HP shareholders) first and foremost. There is no liability whatsoever to what their past loyal customers want. The thing about markets are, it changes. Companies need to change and adapt. If Palm restricts themselves and continues to just serve their minuscule loyal base of customers, HP might as well dissolve the company and use their patents because that might be more beneficial.

If they make a slab device that is more successful which will benefit their shareholders then that is what they're going to do. It's business, it's not personal.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sslow View Post

Well not really, I'm not closing off the idea of putting 4G in the mid-range as well. Just that I can't see it widespread enough to justify that at the moment. EV-DO and HSPA took some time to gain traction and I can see that continue to be the mainstream standard for some time.

14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    If HP wants an "economy" class phone, they got them already. The Pre and Pixi.

What is high end now only takes a bit of time to become that class. No need to make and design a phone aimed at that.

The slab and kb models should both be specced out.
    That was my idea, Pre was the flagship and now moved down to mid-range.

Specs I haven't really give it a thought. I'm more on how to structure and position the devices.

Quote Originally Posted by nychump View Post
    Palm also failed as an independent company. So it might be time to change some things.

Also, Palm has to cater to their shareholders/owners(HP shareholders) first and foremost. There is no liability whatsoever to what their past loyal customers want. The thing about markets are, it changes. Companies need to change and adapt. If Palm restricts themselves and continues to just serve their minuscule loyal base of customers, HP might as well dissolve the company and use their patents because that might be more beneficial.

If they make a slab device that is more successful which will benefit their shareholders then that is what they're going to do. It's business, it's not personal.
    First things first, Palm did not fail! Palm was in need of a cash infusion so they put the word out that they were looking for backing or would consider a sale if they were allowed to continue on their roadmap for the future.
    Second people on here seem to forget that HP has stated MULTIPLE times that Palm is its own entity within HP and as so will continue on their roadmap.
    Third I dont beleive it was a mistake when hp exec stated that they (HP) didnt buy Palm to get in the Phone business.
    Palm is Palm and HP owns WebOs. I feel fairly certain that anything w/ WebOs other than Phones will be labeled HP and phones will be Palm.
    HP bought Palm for WebOs,Palm Patents, and the Name Palm.
    I could be wrong! But Palm does not do V/K on Phones. Now Tablets are a different story as they will most likely will be released as an HP product w/ webOs as the operating system of choice, I mean after all HP does own WebOs.

At least for now! It doesnt make sense for Hp to change the name of the company after all Palm is a well established name in the Phone business, nor does it make sense for HP to make major changes to Palm this early in the marriage. Remember what I said Palm DID NOT fail, They like many other companies are victims of this economic downturn, as well as terrible advertising. WebOs is the best mobile operating system Thus far and w/ HP dollars behind them they will thrive.

Book mark this page and shove it in my face if Im wrong. I dont believe I am though.
    Last edited by 2sslow; 09/06/2010 at 11:35 PM.

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

As for names, I think the link from this post would be epic for a new product line: http://forums.precentral.net/future-...ml#post2646044

The tablet names are the best ones.
    Why the disagreement/debate on VK vs PK?? Just make both, start with a PK top of the line with all the specs, then announce a slab of the same calibar to follow, there, issue solved.
    I'm really looking forward to a slab device with nice specs. Yea, Palm has always been about physical keyboards, but look at where it got them. A slab device with great specs and a VK would be very popular! We don't need a physical keyboard... HP/Palm has to reach out to the other part of the market.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    I'm really looking forward to a slab device with nice specs. Yea, Palm has always been about physical keyboards, but look at where it got them. A slab device with great specs and a VK would be very popular! We don't need a physical keyboard... HP/Palm has to reach out to the other part of the market.
    Gotta love a healthy debate huh. The p/k did not create the problems palm had their outdated o/s did that. People will come back as soon as the advertising shows well enough that the os is so much better. Ads, as they are, are not getting the job done.

Your comment about (Yea, Palm has always been about physical keyboards, but look at where it got them.) is ridiculous. Look at BB, they Tried a v/k only (storm,storm2) and look at the sales #s.

v/k devices are just not as popular as p/k devices. (excluding Iphone because apple,like At&t dont like to give choices) Iclone people are only buying because its fashionable. If given the option of a p/k version it would double or more the sales #s.

Follow the link below.

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    They need both. As much as I love the Pixi, they need to kill it and have a slider phone and a slab.