Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've posted threads like this before but I enjoy the mental exercise of speculating on what I would do if I were running things. (And don't we all?) So here goes again:

Phones

HP Palm Pixi II:
    Portrait candy bar form factor.
    3" - 480x320 screen
    3-megapixel camera
    Available in 8 and 16GB versions.

HP Palm Pre II:
    Portrait slider form factor with an increased curve to the "smile" and rounder keys.
    3.5" - 640x480 screen
    5-megapixel camera
    Available in 16 and 32GB versions.

HP Palm Pro:
    Landscape slider form factor.
    3.9" - 800x480 screen.
    6-megapixel camera
    Front-mounted camera.
    Available in 32 and 64GB versions with internal an SDHC slot.

HP Palm Prime:
    Candybar form factor with no keyboard and no removable battery to make it as thin as possible.
    4.1" - 960x640 screen.
    Rear-mounted 8-megapixel camera with dual flash
    Front mounted camera.
    IrDA port with universal remote control emulation software.
    Available in 32, 64, and 128GB versions.

Tablets

HP Palm Tornado:
    4.1" - 960x480 screen.
    Rear-mounted 8-megapixel camera with dual flash
    Front mounted camera.
    IrDA port with universal remote control emulation software.
    Available in 32 and 64GB versions.
    Optional 3g/4g data plan.

HP Palm Tsunami:
    7" - 1024x768 screen.
    Front-mounted camera.
    Available in 64 and 128GB versions.
    micro-SDHC slot
    Micro and mini-USB ports.
    HDMI-out

HP Palm Hurricane:
    10" - 1280x800 screen.
    Front-mounted camera.
    Available in 128 and 256GB versions.
    Two SDHC slots.
    Two USB 3.0 ports with USB-host capability.
    HDMI-out

Netbooks

HP Palm Cobalt:
    10.1" - 1024x600 screen
    64GB solid state drive
    Two USB ports
    SDHC slot
    2 pounds.

HP Palm Slate:
    10.1" - 1024x600 convertible screen flips over to cover the keyboard and act as a tablet.
    128GB solid state drive.
    Three USB ports
    SDHC slot
    HDMI out
    2.5 pounds.
    The ablets look nice but the pohines lack in specs. They need to leapfrog everything out now to have a chance.
    I like your palm pad/slate names.

however I am praying hard that they drop the pre/pixi names.
    Quote Originally Posted by iTz Nicholas72 View Post
    The ablets look nice but the pohines lack in specs. They need to leapfrog everything out now to have a chance.
    In all likelihood the hardware won't leapfrog anything currently out....we won't even see a FF camera on the next device. It's webOS 2.0 that will be revolutionary and a faster CPU to run it. Don't get your hopes up for an EvoEpiciPhone feature-per-feature device.....not happening right out the gate. HP is letting Palm execute on their plan for this one, then they'll get into the mix with the hardware we really want.
    Again, webOS 2.0 is the killer-feature this time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    I like your palm pad/slate names.

however I am praying hard that they drop the pre/pixi names.
    I don't think they should get too many brands going. But also agree that the Pre/pixi names should be dropped. I wouldn't mind seeing the name webOS changed. PalmOS or even Palm.
    they don't own the name PalOS anymore (sold it).

webos is starting to grow on me, but pre/pixi are both sounding feminine.

any guy taking a 'pixi' to school is gonna get beat up.

need tough-sounding names like Palminator for hardwars PalmXOS (PalmOSX?) for the OS.

I doubt they will change the OS name. Somewhere around here is a thread dedicated to suggested names for webOS to reflect HP ownership. Some where pretty good.
    Last edited by Workerb33; 09/06/2010 at 09:17 AM.
    I love both names. However, a name change seems good about now. I hope they don't bring back the pixi shape phones though.
    It's way past time for the Pre & Pixi names to be euthanized.

The Pre name is associated with bad bad BAD hardware, and like Workerb said; any guy going to school touting a Pixi is likely to get beat-up after 3pm.
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    OK - how's about somebody photoshop some mock-ups ! ;-)
    Removable battery makes a phone fat?
    That's news to me.

Is that how Apple justifies it?
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    Removable battery makes a phone fat?
    That's news to me.

Is that how Apple justifies it?
    A removable battery requires additional framework to hold the battery, additional space dedicated to connectors, and additional hardware to attache a door/cover. All of that adds up to additional weight and less space for actual battery storage. So, while a removable battery may not make a phone fat, for a fixed size, a phone with a removable battery will typically weigh more and have less power than the same sized phone with a fixed, internal battery.
    I hope they continue with removable batteries. Non-removable batteries suck big time ~ like that popular phone. :-D
    Kill the Pixi name. That's one of the reasons why I returned it.

Attractive Woman: "Hey Schmid7y, that is such a cool phone!"
    Me: "Thanks, it's like the Pre, just smaller"
    Attractive Woman: "Cool, what is it called"
    Me: "Ummm, it's the....*cough* *cough* Pi *cough* xi *cough* *cough*"
    Attractive Woman: "The what?"
    Me: "Pixi."
    Attractive Woman: "LOLOLOLOLOL" (She was actually lol'ing, not saying lololol)

Call it the Pre and the Centro, or the Pre and the Pro.
  14.    #14  

need tough-sounding names like Palminator for hardwars PalmXOS (PalmOSX?) for the OS.

I doubt they will change the OS name. Somewhere around here is a thread dedicated to suggested names for webOS to reflect HP ownership. Some where pretty good.
    Palm bought the rights to "Palm" brand as well as permanent license to the old PalmOS from ACCESS a few years ago so they do own it.
    Way too many devices... I think that will cause confusion in the market. Sometimes too many choices may not be a good idea.

Having a narrower lineup allows Palm to spend more time improving on the hardware itself rather than trying to support so many devices.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    A removable battery requires additional framework to hold the battery, additional space dedicated to connectors, and additional hardware to attache a door/cover. All of that adds up to additional weight and less space for actual battery storage. So, while a removable battery may not make a phone fat, for a fixed size, a phone with a removable battery will typically weigh more and have less power than the same sized phone with a fixed, internal battery.
    Ofcourse it requires additional hardware for the door/cover, but its excessively miniscule (within millimeters, if not less). A removable battery can not require additional framework to hold the battery, because an embedded battery also requires framework to hold a battery, therefore, this can't inherently save space/weight. Both the iPhone 4 and the Evo 4G look the same, space wise in the back:
    http://regmedia.co.uk/2010/06/23/iphone_split.jpg

http://guide-images.ifixit.net/igi/q...inoBsd2.medium

By the same argument, an embedded battery also needs to be attached to the board to provide power, thus both batteries require connectors. As a matter of fact, the iPhone 4 has ribbon cables from its battery. Ribbon cables are known to be flimsier (I'm an engineering, we avoid ribbon cables like the plague, ONLY when we need to use them) than direct metal contacts. Although this is Apple's choice, in general both types of phones have the same connectors taking up the same space and weight:

iPhone 4 battery with ribbon cable sticking out:
    http://www.rapidrepair.com/guides/ip...-0513-full.jpg

Evo 4G body with tiny metal contacts:
    http://benchmarkreviews.com/images/r...No_Battery.jpg

Thus, the only real benefit and MAIN reason why the iPhone battery is not removable, is because they used a ribbon cable battery and moved the battery connector port on the board wherever they may please, allowing them to move components around to cause the phone to be slimmer. Thus, it has nothing to do with extra weight/connector/space directly. Just the fact that Apple engineers wanted to move the battery connector near the front of the device, as opposed to the back where normal batteries are.

However, being able to store "more" battery within the same space. That point I can't argue against because I don't know too much about battery chemistry and structure. I could research it, but I don't really care that much. If someone can look it up and prove it, I'd be more than happy to listen.

However, having heard Apple's PRPRPR $argue$ $about$ $why$ $the$ $embedded$ $battery$ $is$ $better$ $because$ $of$ $space$/$weight$ $requirements$, $I$ $call$ $bs$.

References:
    1. Apple And AT&T Sued For Third Time Over iPhone Battery -- Mobile Communications -- InformationWeek
    2. iPhone 4: What does it look like on the inside? - OverOll.com
    3. HTC Evo 4G Teardown - iFixit
    4. http://www.rapidrepair.com/guides/ip...-0513-full.jpg
    Last edited by SirataXero; 09/06/2010 at 06:03 PM.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    man, i wanna meet that woman who says 'lolololololololololo'. She sounds hilarious.

Seriously, if you're that uncomfortable with your own sexuality, get something to compensate, like an 'Epic' or 'iHaveaBigDick'.

Personally, I'd be happy with a Pixi, except I don't like the actual device. But if they called the Palm a Pixi, I couldn't care less. Really, a girl is more likely to think it's cute, and that you're less of a ****** 'cause you don't have something with a frankly stupid name like 'The HTC Amazingly Lightning Tsunami Totally powerful MuscleMan Phone SX!'

Basically, the guys concerned about the name of the phone: Get some balls. And the girls concerned about the name... well, I'm willing to bet most girls aren't.
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    Ofcourse it requires additional hardware for the door/cover, but its excessively miniscule (within millimeters, if not less). A removable battery can not require additional framework to hold the battery, because an embedded battery also requires framework to hold a battery, therefore, this can't inherently save space/weight. Both the iPhone 4 and the Evo 4G look the same, space wise in the back:

By the same argument, an embedded battery also needs to be attached to the board to provide power, thus both batteries require connectors. As a matter of fact, the iPhone 4 has ribbon cables from its battery. Ribbon cables are known to be flimsier (I'm an engineering, we avoid ribbon cables like the plague, ONLY when we need to use them) than direct metal contacts. Although this is Apple's choice, in general both types of phones have the same connectors taking up the same space and weight:
    Thus, the only real benefit and MAIN reason why the iPhone battery is not removable, is because they used a ribbon cable battery and moved the battery connector port on the board wherever they may please, allowing them to move components around to cause the phone to be slimmer. Thus, it has nothing to do with extra weight/connector/space directly. Just the fact that Apple engineers wanted to move the battery connector near the front of the device, as opposed to the back where normal batteries are.

However, being able to store "more" battery within the same space. That point I can't argue against because I don't know too much about battery chemistry and structure. I could research it, but I don't really care that much. If someone can look it up and prove it, I'd be more than happy to listen.

However, having heard Apple's PRPRPR $argue$ $about$ $why$ $the$ $embedded$ $battery$ $is$ $better$ $because$ $of$ $space$/$weight$ $requirements$, $I$ $call$ $bs$.
    The fact remains, for a given size device, a removable battery's requirements in space and weight add up resulting in less overall battery power. Millimeters and grams make significant differences in devices that are 10mm thick and weigh 155 grams.

Look up Lithium-Polymer (here's a start). It allows you to shape the battery into any form you need to fit inside your device's interior - no additional frame require like with a removable battery. Removable batteries, on the other hand, are Lithium-Ion cells which have a fixed, non-adaptive shape requiring dedicated design space to fit inside a device's shape (and the frame to hold the fixed-shape battery in place). Your EVO pictures are excellent for showing the wasted interior space used for the battery holder (frame), the space-wasting indentation for finger grips, etc. Conversely, the iPhone picture shows every last millimeter being filled by power-producing battery.

The huge disadvantage of non-removable batteries is they are typically not user replaceable either in day-to-day use or when the battery finally goes bad so there are tradeoffs between the two approaches.

Jesus! Are kids that sexist?
    They need to change Pre's name, Pre is a synonym of bad quality and even a bad *** new hardware won't change the market's perception.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast