View Poll Results: When or will you be upgrading to the new WebOS 2.0 device?

Voters
328. You may not vote on this poll
  • Will you get the new WebOS 2.0 device on launch day regardless of which carrier has it?

13 3.96%
  • Will you get the new WebOS 2.0 device on Sprint launch day?

268 81.71%
  • Will you wait for your 2 yr contract to be up?

31 9.45%
  • Will you wait until your current Pre dies?

16 4.88%
  • Will you switching to any device thatís available when your Pre dies?

0 0%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BobKy View Post
    I do not think Stung was trying to belittle anyone. He has a good suggestion about adding "other" in the voting options.
    Right. Just saying I have some reservations at this point in time given how much I know about the device, and as such I am not willing to say I'm going to upgrade for sure. Said "******" b/c I have the assumption (that may be wrong) that ******* would automatically upgrade. This doesn't not mean that all people who are going to automatically upgrade are *******. Not trying to belittle you there. Water is wet but all that is wet is not water.
    I'll likely get it, but won't wait in line or anything like that. I'm quite satisfied with my 6/9/09 Pre and am actually curious to see it rocking WebOS 2.0. My wife's Pre seems to be deteriorating a bit, so we'll probably get the new phone for her first. I do hope the form factor is similar, as I really don't like the various android bricks. If it fits in my pocket and has a verticle slider, I'll definitely make the move eventually.
    I recently had my contract mature and switched to Android.
    Needless to say, HATED IT!
    Took it back and got a brand new Pre, rather than going back to my old worn out one.
    Now I'll patiently wait my 2 years for HPalm to get their crap together.
    The Saint
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    I cant wait! im going nuts, i just need a picture of the new phone
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RJKinsman View Post
    I installed Govnah and Uberkernel about a month ago, and I haven't gotten TMC since then. It was easy as pie. Have you done this yet?
    I had just put the Uberkernal on when my Pre sorta bricked. Haven't done it since. I definitely will try it again just bec the memory management seems so much better.
    re:the bro who mentioned the Sprint extras we get - I'm totally with you on that.
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddK View Post
    As a S/P customer w/ a pending upgrade since June 9th (launch day Pre owner), I'll get the new device if it is on Sprint and has very similar form-factor. (vert/keyboard)

If not, I'll stick w/ my Pre w/ webOS 2.0

Not leaving Sprint, or the form-factor.
    Good point. If it's heavy or too big, it will make a difference in me getting it. Barring that, I plan to get it if it's on Sprint. Not sure about whether or not, I'll let all of the family upgrade. I think that we'll depend on the build quality and what I'm hearing on the forum about the build quality.

Although I form my own opinion, there are some things that you're warned about on the forum that let you know to not be complacent. I had my phone for almost a year, before my keys started becoming more and more unresponsive; but I heard about it on this forum w/in three months of the Pre being out.

Stung: I understand that you didn't mean to belittle. I guess it's best to say that you should use that term. I don't think any customer, regardless of how long they've been a customer, would stay with a company that began to give them crappy service or provided shoddy work. Repeat customers remain repeat customers as long as the product or service remains good.

Now there are brave souls who like to try all the new things with bells and whistles. I call them brave souls and people with big pockets. Bless them, they can tell the rest of us about their experience while we wait.
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bdhu2001 View Post
    Good point. If it's heavy or too big, it will make a difference in me getting it. Barring that, I plan to get it if it's on Sprint. Not sure about whether or not, I'll let all of the family upgrade. I think that we'll depend on the build quality and what I'm hearing on the forum about the build quality.

Although I form my own opinion, there are some things that you're warned about on the forum that let you know to not be complacent. I had my phone for almost a year, before my keys started becoming more and more unresponsive; but I heard about it on this forum w/in three months of the Pre being out.

Stung: I understand that you didn't mean to belittle. I guess it's best to say that you should use that term. I don't think any customer, regardless of how long they've been a customer, would stay with a company that began to give them crappy service or provided shoddy work. Repeat customers remain repeat customers as long as the product or service remains good.

Now there are brave souls who like to try all the new things with bells and whistles. I call them brave souls and people with big pockets. Bless them, they can tell the rest of us about their experience while we wait.
    I have to say Sprints CS has improved vastly over the almost 10 years I've been a customer.

Most recently - 2 months ago - I had made up my mind to switch to Verizon, for a couple of reasons... The first was, (and in no way Sprints fault), I had a run of 3 bad Pre's in a 2 month period - the original launch-day Pre's keyboard failed, so I replaced it, and within 3 weeks 2 consecutive Pre's had touchscreen failures and had to be replaced. So far, so good with the 3rd refurb (1 month so far)

But, the larger issue was service at my home - it's always been poor, but with the Pre, it was terrible. I called CS and asked to speak with retentions and explained the situation, and that now that the Pre plus was out on Verizon, I was going to switch providers, because for some reason, the Verizon signal was better at my home, even though Sprint and Verizon share the same cell-sites all over Cape Cod - even on my golf course...

After doing some checking to see if there was enough signal to support an Airave, the rep offered me an Airave for 1 dollar (plus tax!) = $1.06! ...and waived the $4.99/month fee. As it is listed as an additional line on my bill, I have to pay the FCC line tax ($1.43/month) Received it 3 days later and set it up next to my wireless router and Comcast VOIP modem, and I've got 4-5 bars all over my property!

So, yeah - I'm sticking w/ Sprint. (and my Pre too because with Mode Switcher, Advance Configuration for App Launcher, Uberkernal / Govnah and the Glass Effect Suite theme installed, my Pre is a whole new phone!)

(oh, and Sprint even gave me a $25.00 credit for the 3 days I was without a working phone when the Pre's touchscreen froze!)
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddK View Post
    I have to say Sprints CS has improved vastly over the almost 10 years I've been a customer.

Most recently - 2 months ago - I had made up my mind to switch to Verizon, for a couple of reasons... The first was, (and in no way Sprints fault), I had a run of 3 bad Pre's in a 2 month period - the original launch-day Pre's keyboard failed, so I replaced it, and within 3 weeks 2 consecutive Pre's had touchscreen failures and had to be replaced. So far, so good with the 3rd refurb (1 month so far)

But, the larger issue was service at my home - it's always been poor, but with the Pre, it was terrible. I called CS and asked to speak with retentions and explained the situation, and that now that the Pre plus was out on Verizon, I was going to switch providers, because for some reason, the Verizon signal was better at my home, even though Sprint and Verizon share the same cell-sites all over Cape Cod - even on my golf course...

After doing some checking to see if there was enough signal to support an Airave, the rep offered me an Airave for 1 dollar (plus tax!) = $1.06! ...and waived the $4.99/month fee. As it is listed as an additional line on my bill, I have to pay the FCC line tax ($1.43/month) Received it 3 days later and set it up next to my wireless router and Comcast VOIP modem, and I've got 4-5 bars all over my property!

So, yeah - I'm sticking w/ Sprint. (and my Pre too because with Mode Switcher, Advance Configuration for App Launcher, Uberkernal / Govnah and the Glass Effect Suite theme installed, my Pre is a whole new phone!)

(oh, and Sprint even gave me a $25.00 credit for the 3 days I was without a working phone when the Pre's touchscreen froze!)
    Wow!!! I have put on Uberkernal and Govnah, but still unsure of use. I just set the default modes. I haven't played with that many cards since I put it on, but I think I'll see what happens.
    If it does not come to Sprint (which I doubt), I will use my current pre until it dies then hopefully switch to WP7. But, I will for sure buy the wifi version of the PalmPad. I will not jump carriers. Not for a few years, at least. I have a feeling, if they make a Verizon version, they will make a Sprint version.
    Quote Originally Posted by mmihalek View Post
    I've been due for a new phone several months now, but I'm saving it for the next webOS device. Keep using the current Pre until then.
    Same here.
    we won't be able to simply upgrade from 1.4.5 to 2.0?! D:
    IF there is new hardware with real upgrades, not just more mega-whatevers, then I will be buying the next palm device to hit sprint*

for example a dual core processor, not some single core at 1200mhz,
    or an improved primary camera with better optics, focusing, and light gathering ability, not more megapixles.
    or for that matter, another camera, I like video-calls, and would welcome whole-heartedly a facetime and skype compatible implementation so i can talk with family who i don't see enough, face to face.

I also want a ever so slightly larger screen, not too much though.

I want 2.0 for my current pre, and i want the new hardware to be compelling enough that it warrants my upgrade.

If palm goes with a 1.x ghz machine that has a Xmp camera without much else, and they do NOT release 2.0 for the Pre but only on that next round of devices, I would (irrationally I admit) feel a bit jilted, and be inclined to pass, or look at what other offerings are out there.

*my unpredictable future carrier needs being the exception
    Last edited by windzilla; 09/06/2010 at 08:33 PM.
    There are four lights.
    Global Posts
    330 Global Posts
    as long as it has a physical keyboard, I'm in. For me, it's not so much about the hardware as webOS.
    yes I will
    Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    I plan to get the 2.0 device as long as has a real keyboard. I've tried the virtual keyboard on my wife's Android clone phone, and it's not for me.

the big question will be cost. IF it isn't too much, I'll keep the old Pre, and give it to my 10yo, perhaps with a long-life battery, so I can keep tabs on him, etc. Especially with Uber and Govnah, it is a fine phone, just needs more memory for my music and to take videos of my kids!
    Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bdhu2001 View Post
    Wow!!! I have put on Uberkernal and Govnah, but still unsure of use. I just set the default modes. I haven't played with that many cards since I put it on, but I think I'll see what happens.
    Uberkernel with Govnah at 800/500 works great for me; faster load time, no more TMC messages. No hotter running that I have noticed.
    im sticking with sprint regardless of new palm device or not, i was with sprint before the centro and pre and i will be after them
    THE CHAMP IS HERE!!
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    I plan on staying with Sprint as I've been with them for over 10 years now and have been happy for the most part. I love WebOS and don't want anything else. I have a Blackberry on a spare line that is still under contract and I'll take my Pre any day. Just hope that the app developers catch up as there are many apps for the other platforms that I'd like to see come to WebOS.
  19.    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by BBooDoc View Post
    Uberkernel with Govnah at 800/500 works great for me; faster load time, no more TMC messages. No hotter running that I have noticed.
    Wow!!! Thanks for the settings. I'll try them tonight. I've been procrastinating this morning. I guess I better head for the gym.
    I'll stick with Sprint and see what my options are come March (when my S|P year is up). I don't think I'll be an early adopter of whatever new device comes out simply because of money (and it's not usually my style). I like to see how smoothly the bandwagon runs before hopping on. I have a soft spot for WebOS, but my loyalty only goes so far.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast