Page 1 of 12 12345611 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I predicted on twitter last month that immediately after Labor Day, we would soon hear from HP about new devices coming for webos. You see, the summer is always a major downtime for all business. People are at the beach, taking their kids to camp, or whatever else, and generally pay no mind to the news.

With that in mind, you would expect HP not to waste any major announcements of new devices when everyone isn't paying attention. They need a big hit with the next device, so they will wait until AFTER Labor Day to make announcements. The PRPRPR $machine$ $will$ $need$ $to$ $be$ $in$ $full$ $force$, $and$ $you$ $neeed$ $people$ $back$ $at$ $work$ $listening$ $to$ $the$ $news$ $to$ $make$ $this$ $happen$.

Yes, we heard about Q1 2011, but that's just noise for competitors. HP, like every other marketer, knows Christmas is the big holiday, and for businesses, budgets are prepared in September/October for 2011. HP would not miss out on big sales by waiting until next year. Palm has already been working on their next devices, and webos 2.0 is already finished and waiting for a true release.

So, all that being said, I predict we will hear next week (this coming tuesday to friday) from HP about the next generation of devices running webos, and that WILL include a smartphone.

Bank on it, kids.
    I'm not getting my hopes up.
    That sounds like a reasonable estimate. I'm hoping you're right -- and also that it won't conflict with release of 1.4.5 for Pre+. I'm expecting that release next week, but only because I want it to be, not due to any intel on the matter.
    My mobile biography: Nokia 5181i & 3589i -- Motorola v60i & A630 -- Palm Treo 650, Centro, Pre Plus, MyTouch 4G Slide, Pre 2, Pre 3, Nokia Lumia 521, Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by vincenzo View Post
    I predicted on twitter last month that immediately after Labor Day, we would soon hear from HP about new devices coming for webos. You see, the summer is always a major downtime for all business. People are at the beach, taking their kids to camp, or whatever else, and generally pay no mind to the news.

With that in mind, you would expect HP not to waste any major announcements of new devices when everyone isn't paying attention. They need a big hit with the next device, so they will wait until AFTER Labor Day to make announcements. The PRPRPR $machine$ $will$ $need$ $to$ $be$ $in$ $full$ $force$, $and$ $you$ $neeed$ $people$ $back$ $at$ $work$ $listening$ $to$ $the$ $news$ $to$ $make$ $this$ $happen$.

Yes, we heard about Q1 2011, but that's just noise for competitors. HP, like every other marketer, knows Christmas is the big holiday, and for businesses, budgets are prepared in September/October for 2011. HP would not miss out on big sales by waiting until next year. Palm has already been working on their next devices, and webos 2.0 is already finished and waiting for a true release.

So, all that being said, I predict we will hear next week (this coming tuesday to friday) from HP about the next generation of devices running webos, and that WILL include a smartphone.

Bank on it, kids.
    I appreciate your enthusiasm, but webOS 2.0 is still in beta. It likely won't come out of beta until Oct. At that point it'll prolly be another 1.5 to 2 months until Palm feels good about sending it to the carriers for release. Then the carriers will take another 3 to 4 weeks to cert and send it back to Palm. At that point it is prolly mid to late Dec. Once it's ready they need a month or so to ramp up production on the new phones. At that rate we're looking at a mid to late Jan 2011 release. I speculated before and I'll say it again, you prolly won't hear an official announcement on the next webOS phone until CES in Jan 2011. I suspect that they'll likely discuss increased marketing and distribution as well.

CES gives Palm a bigger stage to announce on and more people paying attention. If they announce between now and late Oct, the news gets lost in the shuffle of Android tablets, Win Phone 7 devices IOS4 updates.

Also, Phil McKinney from HP has publicly stated that the webOS tablet will not be release until Q1 2011.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    It would shock me if 2.0 was out of beta in October, considering the first beta was just released a few days ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by iTz Nicholas72 View Post
    I'm not getting my hopes up.
    +1
    Global Posts
    422 Global Posts
    I hope you are right, but I don't expect it. I am looking forward to a new smart phone and possibly a tablet. I'll continue to wait if that means the end products live up to expectations.
    - Verizon Palm Pre Plus UberKernel Screenstate 500/1000
    - Microsoft Zune HD 32gb
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    It likely won't come out of beta until Oct. At that point it'll prolly be another 1.5 to 2 months until Palm feels good about sending it to the carriers for release. Then the carriers will take another 3 to 4 weeks to cert and send it back to Palm.
    Absolutely wrong timing. Palm will send the last beta (not the final version) to carriers as soon as they have it ready, and carriers will take their time to approve it, 15-20 days the fastest ones.
    I predict new hardware news being delivered to the public on 03/01/2011. So in the meantime > we have to do with what we have.
    Last edited by RL; 09/04/2010 at 01:59 PM.
    I hope they don't announce the next device then have it come out 6 months later like the Pre. That would suck major nut sack! I can't wait that long.
    Global Posts
    422 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Warblad13 View Post
    I hope they don't announce the next device then have it come out 6 months later like the Pre. That would suck major nut sack! I can't wait that long.
    Unless your current phone is on its last leg, I don't see that being too bad. I want a new WebOS phone too, but holding on to the Pre for a while isn't the end of the world.

If people absolutely need a new phone now, you should get one now. People are always pushing to have the latest hardware, but no matter when you buy, more powerful phones will come out shortly after. Unless you purchase phones off contract as a hobby, you'll always be playing the same game.
    - Verizon Palm Pre Plus UberKernel Screenstate 500/1000
    - Microsoft Zune HD 32gb
    Ummmm... Is there a way for users to become beta testers? Or, just developers etc?
    well that's a reasonable guess. Hope HP does end up makin a announcement soon
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    Absolutely wrong timing. Palm will send the last beta (not the final version) to carriers as soon as they have it ready, and carriers will take their time to approve it, 15-20 days the fastest ones.
    Well, you've made my point for me. If it's out of beta by Nov the carriers still have to test as you mentioned, but I don't know if you've been watching the 1.4.5 crap with Verizon and ATT but 15-20 day is not happening with American carriers.

So again, we're looking at maybe a mid to late Dec release for webOS 2.0.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
  15.    #15  
    Irregardless of how long carriers take to approve an os, HP has to announce the device offerings soon. HP does not want to take the loss of a holiday season without a device to go up against other smartphones and tablets. That doesn't mean they will both or either be available in time, but they have to start making announcements and showing things off.

Fall is the news season, its also the season of technology awareness.
  16.    #16  
    I hope you are right. I would expect that hardware will be announced before webOS just because the SDK just became available. That's cool with me, because the current webOS is so good already. Hot new hardware would probably make a bigger splash anyway.
    It would be nice to have some new webOS hardware to look forward too, its hard watching my Dad and Brother show off their Evo's and their video chat
    I can see an announcement coming up. Probably nothing thats going to require a big stage and fireworks, but maybe something like "we are working on a smartphone (giving a few vague specs) that we are planning on releasing on (a time frame or quarter)". It will come out of the mouth of a very important person in the Palm/HP world. That will create a little buzz for the next few months until CES. Then CES will show you the "final" product. Yes, its possible that maybe they have been secretly working on things for months, even a year, and pretty much have a finished product (with minor tweeking needed). But what are the odds that this has happened and carriers have been secretly in on it and will drop a product out of no where without anyone knowing it was coming. I say we still have at least 4 months before we get an announcement like we did when the Pre surfaced.

Just My Opinion

My Pre Does EXACTLY What I Need It To Do, And Thats Why I Have A webOS Relationship.

Facebook: facebook.com/LordSecksie
    Twitter: @LordSecksie
    TextOne: LordSecksie
    Quote Originally Posted by vincenzo View Post

Bank on it, kids.
    Hmmmm, I'm up for a wager. I predict not this coming week, but I predict the week of the 13th.

And how about we make it interesting... an imaginary crate of 14 year old scotch perhaps?
Page 1 of 12 12345611 ... LastLast