Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fred1955 View Post
    Hey, that's my Birthday. Sept. 22, 1955.
    my bday is also on the sept 22nd
    Maybe an announcement this early, but certainly no new hardware released until webOS 2.0 is online. The new OS release will be a selling point for the new hardware...something they market to move new devices. Obviously it will be available to the rest of us, but they want to show it optimized on newer (faster, more awesome) hardware. If people are at all disappointed with the OS release on 18-month old hardware, it will have a bit of stigma...deserved or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Not exactly, unless there was something I missed. HP gave a specific timeline for tablets (Q1 2011) whereas there hasn't been anything as specific said about a new mobile phone.
    He did. Can't remember where. But he definitely has mentioned a new phone for this year.
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Of course, then he tweeted this:

Twitter / Rahul Sood: ... don't expect anything ...
    Looks like micah912 is right.
    The front page says something about the roadmap for the next 12 months, too. Great time to check out another platform if you're a Sprint customer.

Methinks I'll pick up a WP7 phone to complete my collection (Already have Pre and Hero).
    Also, I want to say that I am genuinely glad Palm is taking their time and making "hot hardware" a priority.

It may be too late, but if so...well, it was never going to work hotshotting a crappier handset sooner anyway.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    I hope he is telling the truth in the tweet(which I think he is).
    This actually makes me extremely glad. It is better to know it will be a while instead of checking this place hourly to see if there are any announcements due to false hopes.
    tweet by rahulsood (an hour ago):

... don't expect anything soon, please stop asking "when" --- i'd rather be straight with you. these things take time..
  11.    #171  
    okay, can i get a little love now that at least they are starting to make hints of an annoucement?

Rahul Sood (rahulsood) on Twitter

sure, its not official yet, but i'm only a week off, and the hp high ups are starting to fire away with the beloved H word.
    Quote Originally Posted by vincenzo View Post
    okay, can i get a little love now that at least they are starting to make hints of an annoucement?

Rahul Sood (rahulsood) on Twitter

sure, its not official yet, but i'm only a week off, and the hp high ups are starting to fire away with the beloved H word.
    Dude....NOT soon. NOT. As in not in the near future. As in not this year. As in probably CES for the announcement at BEST.
    Look at from this perspective: HP has nothing to lose (in regards to mobile phones) and in no rush to get a mobile phone out into the market. They can afford to take their time, and they should with the market being as hot as it is.
  14.    #174  
    he's not specific. "time" is relative. could be tomorrow for all we know.
    Wow. Just wow.
    Let's be realistic for a minute. HP JUST acquired Palm, I guarantee Palm had no formidable handsets in the making before acquisition, just ideas. HP has probably taken the ideas, discussed them, changed things, etc. etc. and will go forward from there.

Hypothetically speaking, if – and that's a big if – HP/Palm started work on new hardware within the past month or two, we're still looking at minimum 8 months to a year. This stuff doesn't just happen over night, months are spent testing new hardware, modifying, etc.

Granted, everything I've said here is pure speculation but to me that is the most realistic guess. Palm didn't have the funds before hand to start working on another handset when they were struggling with producing the one they already had.
  17.    #177  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    I guarantee Palm had no formidable handsets in the making before acquisition, just ideas.
    How can you guarantee that?

Rubenstein created the ipod in 8 months.

Jon Rubinstein - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    This is a little more involved, what with the cell radios, cameras, OS, carrier agreements, etc.

But rest assured, companies don't warn customers off with "not soon" if there is something imminent.
    How can you guarantee that?

Rubenstein created the ipod in 8 months.

Jon Rubinstein - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I can't guarantee that, but given Palm's financial issues do you honestly believe they were working on a new handset (as in something more than just engineering) so soon after the failure of their most recent handset?

Let's say that HP/Palm did accomplish something of 8 months for a new device and they started work on it ~3 months ago, that still puts it into 2Q of 2011.
    I have to agree with mikah912 and barkerja. HP has been forth coming in letting us know that we should expect a tablet with webOS in Q1 2011 but we dont even have any indication that they have a timeframe for a new smartphone. Now with Rahul stating "not soon" it definitely does not sound like something they would release before the end of the year.

I also agree with mikah912 that they should release prioritize high quality hardware over a timeframe. If they come out with bad hardware that will end any chance Palm could ever recover from that. webOs would only remain alive if HP licenses it out to companies like HTC, Moto, Samsung, etc for free.

Its a shame because I honestly thought that after the release of the Pre Plus that their hardware people were working full steam ahead on new devices, ie. the mythical C40. You would think with all the time thats passed they would have that quality hardware almost fully developed by now.
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast