Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Nah. I mean, they're pushing to scale WebOS to tablets and printers. They're buying music streaming and videoconferencing services. What does any of that have to do with what RIM provides to businesses now?
    While I don't agree with Falconrap 100%, I think can add a little to the answer on this one.

Find 100 BlackBerry users in the enterprise environment. I'd hazard to guess that at least 60 of them are not satisified with the BB as a "general use" smartphone (and I'm only going that low because it seems so many of the "higher ups" are old-school non-techie people). I'd further guess that at least 20 of them carry a second (more powerful) phone of their own.

That represents a lot of people that need enterprise security, but would like to have something much more powerful.

If people think that the smartphone industry is in the early stages (and it is), they would be amazed at the very real possibilities in the enterprise that haven't even been touched yet.

And, that's because RIM has been coasting for too long. They've just now begun to wake up, but I suspect they've waited too long.
    So, Vincenzo, I think it's time you prepare for me to win this faux contest. I am updating my prediction....

Dramatic drumroll please.

Sept 22nd!

The great Oz sees all, knows all. Do not question the great Oz!

I really wish that your prediction had come true. And with the increased chatter from Sood, it looks like they are getting close to saying something.

I was rooting for you, but any press is going to happen late in the month, that's my guess.

And could I make that three crates of imaginary Dalwhinnie?
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    While I don't agree with Falconrap 100%, I think can add a little to the answer on this one.

Find 100 BlackBerry users in the enterprise environment. I'd hazard to guess that at least 60 of them are not satisified with the BB as a "general use" smartphone (and I'm only going that low because it seems so many of the "higher ups" are old-school non-techie people). I'd further guess that at least 20 of them carry a second (more powerful) phone of their own.

That represents a lot of people that need enterprise security, but would like to have something much more powerful.

If people think that the smartphone industry is in the early stages (and it is), they would be amazed at the very real possibilities in the enterprise that haven't even been touched yet.

And, that's because RIM has been coasting for too long. They've just now begun to wake up, but I suspect they've waited too long.
    Excellent points. I agree. I just think that if HP's own employees are asking questions related to this, well...maybe an approach hasn't been figured out quite yet.
    Excellent points. I agree. I just think that if HP's own employees are asking questions related to this, well...maybe an approach hasn't been figured out quite yet.
    Of course, all is speculation at this point, but I don't think HP moved 200 employees to the Palm department without some sort of plan...
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Of course, all is speculation at this point, but I don't think HP moved 200 employees to the Palm department without some sort of plan...
    No. I'm thinking with all of the salespeople supposedly involved that some launch preparations of some sort are starting to be made. But...yeah, it's all speculation.
    Hey, that's my Birthday. Sept. 22, 1955.
    I'm starting to wonder if there's going to be an announcement at all, except a big splash maybe at CES. I notice that HP rolled out their fall line of notebooks (the Envy 14 Beats Edition, the Envy 17 3D, and a new non-Envy 13") with just a press release and making the rounds at tech mags.

Could they do the same for the next generation of Palm products?
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    What hparsons said was what I was basically getting at. Essentially, HP/Palm wants to be the replacement for BES and that whole Enterprise ecosystem, offering far more capabilities than RIM. Pretty much my whole point. The consumer side is another avenue to get the camel's nose under the tent.

Maybe I should have gone the reader's digest version first.
    That's actually what Ars Technica was theorizing last year when they first played with the Pre. Had Palm been able to get the Mojo Messaging Service up and running, they would have gone directly after RIM.
    is it next week yet?
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    "Next week" is over (his spectulation was this Tues. - Fri.). :/
  12.    #152  
    alright, I was wrong.

We all lose.
    Quote Originally Posted by fred1955 View Post
    Hey, that's my Birthday. Sept. 22, 1955.
    Well, wouldn't that be a great birthday present.

Come on Palm. Fred needs info about the new phone!

And Vincenzo, it was worth a shot. I still think we're gonna hear something this month. Try again. Call it. There's still time. You deserve a do-over...
    My guessing: Last week of september. And the phone will be released the second week of october.
    :Perfect way to spoil windows 7's fun evil laugh ha-ha-ha
    Realistically. Probably not looking at a new mobile phone until 2Q of 2011, sometime after their tablet(s) released. Of course, this is purely a guess but if HP was quick to go public with their timeline of when they expected their tablets to hit why wouldn't they with a mobile phone?
  18.    #158  
    I may jave been too optimistic with my guess of week 1 od september.

I guess it might not happen till the next earnings call.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Realistically. Probably not looking at a new mobile phone until 2Q of 2011, sometime after their tablet(s) released. Of course, this is purely a guess but if HP was quick to go public with their timeline of when they expected their tablets to hit why wouldn't they with a mobile phone?
    Because they're totally different devices with totally different market conditions?

And for the record, Ruby has given as much information about when a new phone would be coming (before the end of the year) as HP has been about when a WebOS tablet would be coming.
    Quote Originally Posted by idontwan2know View Post
    Because they're totally different devices with totally different market conditions?

And for the record, Ruby has given as much information about when a new phone would be coming (before the end of the year) as HP has been about when a WebOS tablet would be coming.
    Not exactly, unless there was something I missed. HP gave a specific timeline for tablets (Q1 2011) whereas there hasn't been anything as specific said about a new mobile phone.
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112 LastLast